TV on the boat

Nb Unity

Featured Posts

We have a flat screen tv which worked well off the old aerial before the digital switch ,my question is now we have to use a freeview box to view but the picture is very poor- virtually non existent, is it just a case of getting a new digital aerial to get a good picture quality again ? :help:

We have a flat screen tv which worked well off the old aerial before the digital switch ,my question is now we have to use a freeview box to view but the picture is very poor- virtually non existent, is it just a case of getting a new digital aerial to get a good picture quality again ? :help:

Depends what ariel you have. Some are suitable for both digital and analocge reception. The thing is with digital, you don't really get a poor reception - you either get reception or you don't. If the signal is weak it will just cut out. If you are going to spend the money I'd go for a small satellite dish. See the other thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38988

You could go for a digital TV ariel too so if one is no good you can use the other.

We had the same problem a 12v 19inch tv without free view, so we got a free view box this worked but only for the main bbc1 2 and 1tv 1 2 & channel 5 and just a few others.

Having to use this free view box and plugging it in to mains with additional wiring for aerial i got fed up went out and bought a 12 v 19inch freeview TV with dvd player for well under 200 quid, plugged that in and got 52 stations on the first attempt. we just have a standard tv aerial but smaller than the usual on a house, probably 1/3 size. It is of course suitable for freewiew signal. I don't trust these freeview boxes though, now back at home it won't pick up as many freeview stations as our main tv will do from the same aerial.

Bottom line, you need more signal for Freeview TV.

Being a digital signal the picture is all or nothing. Nothing being a blank screen or some degree of pixelation dependent on the TV's rendering engine.

There is nothing essentially different with a Freeview aerial as the signal is transmitted in the same UHF bands as previously, its just more sensitive.

Mounted as it will be low on your boat you will need the highest gain model to increase chance of a decent signal. Something like this Maplins offering.

pt18u.jpg

If you can see the transmitter mast a bit of wet string will do.

Bottom line, you need more signal for Freeview TV.

Being a digital signal the picture is all or nothing. Nothing being a blank screen or some degree of pixelation dependent on the TV's rendering engine.

There is nothing essentially different with a Freeview aerial as the signal is transmitted in the same UHF bands as previously, its just more sensitive.

Mounted as it will be low on your boat you will need the highest gain model to increase chance of a decent signal. Something like this Maplins offering.

pt18u.jpg

If you can see the transmitter mast a bit of wet string will do.

Agreed, however as you increase the gain (sensitivity) of the antenna it becomes far more sensitive to alignment and thus sensitive to movement.

At home we're in an area where we've not supposed to get digital yet, however by using the standard antenna with an amplifier we've received it for 5 years. The freeview signals (multiplexes) are transmitted on different channels compared to analogue and the main requirements are for a wide band antenna (which can receive the channels required) with the extra sensitivity that Richard refers to.

Edited by Chalky

Depends what ariel you have. Some are suitable for both digital and analocge reception. The thing is with digital, you don't really get a poor reception - you either get reception or you don't. If the signal is weak it will just cut out. If you are going to spend the money I'd go for a small satellite dish. See the other thread http://www.canalworl...showtopic=38988

You could go for a digital TV ariel too so if one is no good you can use the other.

but a dish will not work with a 'Freeview' box, that the original poster has. :(

Agreed, however as you increase the gain (sensitivity) of the antenna it becomes far more sensitive to alignment and thus sensitive to movement.

You need to get the ariel up away from the boat, as the steel of the boat is a big ground plane and will attenuate the signal. We used to have a big home style antenna and after it was demolished by a tree passing to close to the boat (note: not me passing too close to the tree!!!) I bought a much smaller antenna with a built in masthead amplifier and was upset at the poor performance and thought what a waste of money. :angry:

I have now got an extendable pole that can get the antenna about 10ft above the boats roof if needed. All the places that we used to get poor reception now we get good freeview and lots of channels, so SWMBO is happy, ergo I am happy :cheers:

Picked up a sat dish and box from aldi the other week £50, and we have an aeriel too, when mooring up just work out where southeast is for the sat dish and make sure nothing blocking view like trees/buildings, then you got 2 choices for telly.

That's definitely the key to it!

Well we do liveaboard and move most days...same for internet, i check thats good first then look for south east at same time, so i am happy and so is the wife...