Whale Gulper

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

I've been thinking about fitting a flow switch and timer to our gulper to tame the noise created when the pump gulps air.

Do you have a gulper below a shower tray?

If so you can use a shower trap and then a 'breather' so it doesn't draw air through the plug hole.

Draw a little diagram. :)

ETA: It'll also work if the gulper is above the shower tray, but not quite so easy to understand.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Another thought, You can get a Arduino device (http://www.arduino.cc/), there totally programmable via a programming language so can use any timer variation, based on type of input, etc....

Looks useful bit of kit. Cheers for that. I can think lot of situations where it could come in handy!

Do you have a gulper below a shower tray?

If so you can use a shower trap and then a 'breather' so it doesn't draw air through the plug hole.

Draw a little diagram. :)

ETA: It'll also work if the gulper is above the shower tray, but not quite so easy to understand.

cheers,

Pete.

The gulper is mounted above the shower tray. Unable to fit a conventional trap as there is very little room beneath the tray to fit one. The waste is a slimline jobbie without a trap.

The gulper does, but it's at the pump, so if there's any water in the lift side of the pump it, gravity will take it's course. Leave the pump on a little longer will help remove the lift water even though it sounds like it's mostly air been shifted.

But wouldn't leave a vacuum in the pipe? Gravity can't draw water against a vacuum if the NRV is working properly. Mine must be holding the water in the pipe because it doesn't flow back into the shower tray.

But wouldn't leave a vacuum in the pipe? Gravity can't draw water against a vacuum if the NRV is working properly. Mine must be holding the water in the pipe because it doesn't flow back into the shower tray.

Not really, the pipe/hose will be too large to keep the vacuum.

Not really, the pipe/hose will be too large to keep the vacuum.

So how come it holds the water in mine?

If water is drawn out of the pipe then either something must replace that water (such as air) or a vacuum will be created (assuming the NRV seals properly). Gravity is too weak to draw water out of the pipe and create a vacuum.

Edited by blackrose

The gulper is mounted above the shower tray. Unable to fit a conventional trap as there is very little room beneath the tray to fit one. The waste is a slimline jobbie without a trap.

Still do-able if you can put some sort of bend/'running trap' next to the shower tray, but sounds like you're right on top of the baseplate/ballast.

ETA running trap (but it doesn't need to be anywhere as deep as this):

RunningTrap.jpg

More info on traps here.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete