Black Country RinghI

_Sam_

Featured Posts

Agrre with comments about mooring at Wiggins Hill Bridge. We moored there during the first week of July and although it was reasonably noisey during the late afternoon/early evening it eventually became quite quiet. I put this down to commuting traffic.

We didn't visit the restaurant so not able to comment.

The closest I'd moor is just before Wigginshill Road Bridge. An Italian restaurant has just opened in a building which had been a pub, but which had been closed for a while. There's a stretch of piling, complete with rings IIRC, and there'll almost certainly be a few other boats there. The road alongside seems quite busy during the day, but we had a nice quiet night there, and there are fields opposite so it feels quite rural. We stopped there on our trip in June (when we were going the other way), and we'd come out of Birmingham the long way round, using the Tame Valley Canal (blog post for the day here), so you'll easily get into the centre of Brum going the more direct route.

Thanks for that, even noisey places would not be to much of a problem for us, as we live virtually on a main road so are used to traffic noise

• 1 month later...

Hope you have a great time - fingers crossed that the good weather lasts.

BTW we stopped at the Dog and Doublet on the Curdworth flight and found it an easy run in to Birmingham from there and would highly recommend the place.

Thanks will keep that in mind and the forcaste I've heard is this weather is set to last 10 to 15 days

Well it's come around fast, we go this Saturday.

Just had a phone call from anglo welsh, would we like to pick the boat up at 1pm instead of 3pm

Enjoy! Look out for Iona - it's possible our paths may cross at some point as we're off in that direction. What's the name of the boat you're hiring?

Golden Fleece

Let me know what the boat is like, we've got Golden Finch out of Wootton Wawen a week on Saturday.

I really like the Black Country Ring and as has been said, the Dog & Doublet is worth stopping at.

Let me know what the boat is like, we've got Golden Finch out of Wootton Wawen a week on Saturday.

I really like the Black Country Ring and as has been said, the Dog & Doublet is worth stopping at.

Will do and have put the Dog and Doublet as a must stop at point, as it seams to be well recommended on here lol.

Another question I would appriciate some thoughts on, Stay on the B&F through the Aston flight or go onto the GU and up the Garrison locks then up the Digbeth Branch.

Thoughts on which would be the best and points of interest come into it as well, also noticevisitor moorings marked on the Pearson guide on the Digbeth Branch are they safe ?

But am using an old Pearson guide and intend getting a new one before setting off.

Personally I would say keep in simple to go up the Aston flight. If you start early you should be able to make the city centre in one hop from the D&D. You can make it a bit easier by mooring a couple of locks above the D&D and walking down to the pub.

Personally I would say keep in simple to go up the Aston flight. If you start early you should be able to make the city centre in one hop from the D&D. You can make it a bit easier by mooring a couple of locks above the D&D and walking down to the pub.

Much quicker too.

That was going to be my next question lol

Will do and have put the Dog and Doublet as a must stop at point, as it seams to be well recommended on here lol.

Another question I would appriciate some thoughts on, Stay on the B&F through the Aston flight or go onto the GU and up the Garrison locks then up the Digbeth Branch.

Thoughts on which would be the best and points of interest come into it as well, also noticevisitor moorings marked on the Pearson guide on the Digbeth Branch are they safe ?

But am using an old Pearson guide and intend getting a new one before setting off.

We would recommend doing the Aston & Farmers Bridge flights and then moor at Oozels. Farmers Bridge is one of our favourite flights - fascinating mix of old and new.

I quite like the Garrison route (and you do Farmer's Bridge either way), but Aston will be quicker.

Our favourite mooring in central Birmingham is at the end of the Oozells Street Loop (where there's a big brick wall with a block above) - but position yourself between the air con outlets, as they're noisy. Last time, I winded in the junction and reversed in, to give us a view of the junction out of the front of the boat.

Funny enough we are looking forward to farmers bridge.

It's the 21 in Wolverhampton I'm a little apprehensive about, heard to many stories about empty pounds

Don't think I've been through there when there hasn't been a pound that has been low. Never really a big problem though.

Edited to add: Saying that, my first time was on the back of a butty in the dark so I can't really tell you the levels on that trip ;)

Edited by IanM

Isnt in Golden fleece the boat that Fred Talbot had in the first sereies of locks and Quays

Yes I noticed thatas well, not sure if it is the same one or not.

Would not be the first time that happened lol, one year waterworld followed some woman down the W%B with here kids boating for the first time on a blackprince boat named Angeline.

Guess what boat we got when going with blackprince later thatt year

Not so, there is the stub end of the Bentley Canal at Bentley Retail Park, Sneyd Junction, Walsall Top Lock and a BW mooring just before Sneyd whose name escapes me at present.

Sneyd Jct mooring is a problem if you want/need to leave the boat to find sustanance as the compound is locked with a non BW key... :closedeyes:

Yes I noticed thatas well, not sure if it is the same one or not.

Would not be the first time that happened lol, one year waterworld followed some woman down the W%B with here kids boating for the first time on a blackprince boat named Angeline.

Guess what boat we got when going with blackprince later thatt year

Yes thinks its the same one golden flecce. We went on board golden goose at bunbury few weeks ago for a nose. Very spacious boat!

Think i remember that waterworld she was all over canal?