New DM

Featured Posts

Half the price, similar power but all the fun of a blowlamp to start it, http://herleider.nl/?http%3A%2F%2Fwatersport.marktplaats.nl%2Fmotorboten-en-motorjachten%2F866498757-aangeboden-opduwer-met-bolinder-gloeikop.html with a free boat thrown in, translates as gasoline bit I think it is oil.

Edited by Bee

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the term vintage is appropriate to engines of a certain age but the RN Diesel Engine Company would probably describe the marque as Traditional.dry.png

There are many, like me, that can lay claim to the engine being vintage though; my DM3 was built in Altrincham around 1945 and was originally a static machine supplied to R.A. Monk of Warrington. It was fully rebuilt in 2008, so you might actually call it "new" [my bank balance thought so huh.png]

? Surely the Bolinder engine will be an old one? I don't think that they are still made.

Filched from Wikipedia:

AB Bolinder-Munktell (BM) was a tractor and machines manufacturer founded in Eskilstuna, Sweden in 1932 through the merger of the mechanical companies Bolinder and Munktell. Bolinder was a large marine engine builder that in the 1920s had 80 percent of the world engine market.

Bolinder are also well known as manufacturers of 'Semi-Diesel' or 'Hot bulb' engines.

In 1950 BM was bought by AB Volvo. In 1973 the company changed its name to Volvo BM AB and then in 1995 to Volvo Construction Equipment.

The product range has changed with the times. Up to the beginning of the 20th century agricultural machines such as threshers were an important product.

Tractor production commenced in 1913, with the type 30-40. Tractors were the main product up to the 1970s, and gained an unsurpassed reputation for durability. During World War II, Bolinder-Munktell, at the request of the Swedish authorities, built Daimler Benz DB601 aeroplane engines under licence. An entire underground factory at Eskiltuna was built to accommodate this factory. Owing to the superior reliability of the Swedish-built engines the Swedish airforce issued instructions that for two-engined aircraft, at least one engine should be a Swedish built unit.[citation needed] From the 1950s new products in the construction equipment and forestry machinery categories emerged. These were initially based on the tractor chassis. Soon the construction equipment become the dominant product range and remains so today. Products developed in the 1960s and still in production are wheel loaders and articulated haulers.