What a pair of amateurs!.....

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

As others have been prepared to admit to those trips where enthusiasm has been greater than boat operating ability, it seems only fair that we join in……

Today, as you will notice, was a Tuesday, which because of work patterns is the best prospect my wife and I have for a weekday to "play boats", (rather than get on with anything useful). We therefore try to watch the weather forecast, and provided nothing too arctic is predicted, may well venture out despite "a bit of rain or cold".

Well the omens were never good for today, as the forecast has been deteriorating for a day or two, and it was decidedly wet as we set of for the mooring. Not daunted though, we had packed some wet weather gear, and even remembered to stop when crossing the cut on route to check there was not a lot of ice. There was none by the bridge, but what looked like a remnant of some down by the moored craft some distance along the pound.

So we set off, the weather definitely not improving, and dropped down through the first lock for nothing worse than handling very wet ropes.

But as we approached the ice by the moored boats, I decided I should slow down to a complete crawl, (especially as one was fibreglass). I can only imagine that the ice had thawed much more to our left than to our right, because as we broke it, there was no "give" at all on one side, and our bows were directed dramatically at the moored boats. :D We managed to come to a halt without damaging anything, at which point it was obvious that what had looked very thin was in parts at least an inch thick.

Being another 7 locks from the next winding point, we decided pressing on was foolish, as we imagined we would find more ice on other stretches.

So, (having seen posts on the forum on the topic), we then worked our first ever lock, backwards. Still just about all right, so far, (if a little odd! :P )…..

But by now the wind was strengthening, and the next thing after the lock is moored boats on both sides, for some distance, before a winding hole, followed by marina entrance. No choice but to go astern, the only decision to be whether to wind in the winding hole, or to continue past that and the marina entrance, to then allow a forwards approach from the "better" direction. ;)

Well the first two thirds of the distance was covered remarkably well in reverse, but it was obvious we were not going to get all the way back without some corrective "forward". That's when it all went pear shaped, and the bows were blown against the boats on one side, with the stern rapidly approaching those on the other. For the next few minutes, I think the elements were in full control, and the only good decisions I made were to use the engine very little, and not to try and walk on the most slippery bits of the gunnels…. B):):)

We did finally make it back off the main line, and, in fairness, nobody came out to tell us what they thought, despite many of the boats being occupied. Perhaps they knew how wet and cold it now was, and at least we hadn't actually forcefully hit anyone, more just "blown against".

So well over half an hour after we started, we were back on the mooring, after our shortest trip ever, feeling extremely inept. :wacko:

Last time we went out, we really felt we were getting the hang of things...... Oh well - perhaps not quite yet!..... :D

Alan

As others have been prepared to admit to those trips where enthusiasm has been greater than boat operating ability, it seems only fair that we join in……

Today, as you will notice, was a Tuesday, which because of work patterns is the best prospect my wife and I have for a weekday to "play boats", (rather than get on with anything useful). We therefore try to watch the weather forecast, and provided nothing too arctic is predicted, may well venture out despite "a bit of rain or cold".

Well the omens were never good for today, as the forecast has been deteriorating for a day or two, and it was decidedly wet as we set of for the mooring. Not daunted though, we had packed some wet weather gear, and even remembered to stop when crossing the cut on route to check there was not a lot of ice. There was none by the bridge, but what looked like a remnant of some down by the moored craft some distance along the pound.

So we set off, the weather definitely not improving, and dropped down through the first lock for nothing worse than handling very wet ropes.

But as we approached the ice by the moored boats, I decided I should slow down to a complete crawl, (especially as one was fibreglass). I can only imagine that the ice had thawed much more to our left than to our right, because as we broke it, there was no "give" at all on one side, and our bows were directed dramatically at the moored boats. :D We managed to come to a halt without damaging anything, at which point it was obvious that what had looked very thin was in parts at least an inch thick.

Being another 7 locks from the next winding point, we decided pressing on was foolish, as we imagined we would find more ice on other stretches.

So, (having seen posts on the forum on the topic), we then worked our first ever lock, backwards. Still just about all right, so far, (if a little odd! :P )…..

But by now the wind was strengthening, and the next thing after the lock is moored boats on both sides, for some distance, before a winding hole, followed by marina entrance. No choice but to go astern, the only decision to be whether to wind in the winding hole, or to continue past that and the marina entrance, to then allow a forwards approach from the "better" direction. ;)

Well the first two thirds of the distance was covered remarkably well in reverse, but it was obvious we were not going to get all the way back without some corrective "forward". That's when it all went pear shaped, and the bows were blown against the boats on one side, with the stern rapidly approaching those on the other. For the next few minutes, I think the elements were in full control, and the only good decisions I made were to use the engine very little, and not to try and walk on the most slippery bits of the gunnels…. B):):)

We did finally make it back off the main line, and, in fairness, nobody came out to tell us what they thought, despite many of the boats being occupied. Perhaps they knew how wet and cold it now was, and at least we hadn't actually forcefully hit anyone, more just "blown against".

So well over half an hour after we started, we were back on the mooring, after our shortest trip ever, feeling extremely inept. :wacko:

Last time we went out, we really felt we were getting the hang of things...... Oh well - perhaps not quite yet!..... :D

Alan

Good story, I remember a trip over xmas about 10 years ago, it was biterly cold and the wind was blowing a gale, this was near Barbridge, the wind blew us into the side and pinned us there, nothing would get us back off the pilling, Mrs Charles was on the tiller and me on the pole trying to push off the bow, the only thing we could do was reverse about half a mile scraping the side all the way back, once in the bridge hole were were central to the canal and set off forward full blast and kept it that way untll the canal changed direction so the wind was not blowing straight across, a bit later we gave up and moored for the night. Oh for a bow thruster!

Yes, the other week I spent two hours in strong winds trying to move the boat about 20 yards (away from the bridge hole I had been forced to moor at the previous night). Boat kept jamming itself diagonally across the canal and neither pulling it with the mooring ropes or using the engine seemed to work. Nightmare. Where do all the onlookers come from, at such times?

I had to move it again the next day because a resident in a luxury canalside apartment told me it was spoiling his view of the canal, and his wife's pastime of throwing bread for the ducks!

I had to move it again the next day because a resident in a luxury canalside apartment told me it was spoiling his view of the canal, and his wife's pastime of throwing bread for the ducks!

Were you on a legitimate towpath mooring? I think that sort of comment would have been enough to keep me there for two weeks if I had the time!

Absolutely.

About a year ago, my then gf was measuring the mooring she'd reserved (private mooring, she'd paid a retainer). A resident of the overlooking flats came out, and in a very posh voice enquired as to what she was doing.

Gf explained that she was checking the mooring dimensions, to ensure that the boat she was buying would fit.

Resident indignantly asks if the boat will be visible from her flat.

Gf inquires as to which is her flat. Resident points to flat on 2nd floor, about 50 feet away.

Hmm, thinks gf, yes, I think it might be visible - seeing as the mast is 50 feet high and thicker than a telegraph pole.

a resident in a luxury canalside apartment told me it was spoiling his view of the canal, and his wife's pastime of throwing bread for the ducks!

Well we're currently alone on moorings surrounded by quite nice apartments / town-houses, and all the neighbours I've spoken to are wondering when BW are going to get round to putting on some more boats.

I've spoken to a couple of couples (if you get my meaning) checking out the moorings, and suspect we could have company soon.

But if anyone's looking for 50ish foot moorings on the S&W I suggest you get onto Stourport soon :lol:

It's a wonder our ducks don't explode, the amount they're fed, and our resident pair of swans are even on google earth.

Reminds me of some people who moved into a house near RAF Halton and complained that the gliders were making too much noise.

Did they get a shock when the Airforce flew in two Harriers. :lol:

"... we set off, the weather definitely not improving, and dropped down through the first lock for nothing worse than handling very wet ropes.

"But as we approached the ice..."

"Last time we went out, we really felt we were getting the hang of things...... Oh well - perhaps not quite yet!..... :lol: "

Alan

Gripping read, thanks for sharing that, I lived it in my imagination. Difficult, really difficult. :)

"...Boat kept jamming itself diagonally across the canal and neither pulling it with the mooring ropes or using the engine seemed to work. Nightmare. Where do all the onlookers come from, at such times?..."

"...I had to move it again the next day because a resident in a luxury canalside apartment told me it was spoiling his view of the canal, and his wife's pastime of throwing bread for the ducks!"

These experiences show how difficult the inland waterways can be at times. The attitude of those apartment dwellers is incredible, I can't believe such narrow minded selfishness. Another world, another world. Rather be a bridge hopper than someone like that.

B)

"...Resident indignantly asks if the boat will be visible from her flat.

Gf inquires as to which is her flat. Resident points to flat on 2nd floor, about 50 feet away.

Hmm, thinks gf, yes, I think it might be visible - seeing as the mast is 50 feet high and thicker than a telegraph pole."

Ha, ha, ha, and he, he, he, brilliant! Run a Jolly Roger up there too. B)

I was one forced by circumstances to make passage through the " Raz du seine" off the NW tip of brittany in a 38" yacht in fog, whilst the tide was running. This was in the days before GPS and we steered by constantly repeated Decca fixes. At one time we were doing 18 knots SIDEWAYS! The thing is that on the inland waterways we are always deprived of the one thing really needed in difficult conditions: searoom.

Absolutely not!

Friesian flag of course. Anything flying the jolly roger will be cut down by a round of grape from the cannon.

Mind the windows behind,... Oh no, they're gonna sue. Were you using raisins, not real grape shot, OK...