Great prize at Etruria Canals Festival.

Featured Posts

Moorcraft Pottery have announced that they are to give a magnificent prize for

the 'Best turned out historic working boat' at this year's Etruria Canals

Festival on 4 and 5 June.

The winner will be presented with a 'Brindley's canals' Limited Edition vase

designed by Kerry Goodwin. This has a current retail value of over £1100. See it

at http://www.moorcroft.com/Site/PotteryGallery/Detail.asp?id=1076

Moorcroft Pottery feel that it is a wondeful opportunity to support the heritage

of the ceramic industry and it's canals by giving this stunning piece as a

prize.

Judging will take place on the morning of June 4th and the prize will be

presented to the wimnner as part of the opening ceremony by Dr Tristram Hunt MP

at noon.

If you haven't already made plans to come and can still get to Etruria in time,

send me an email saying you are coming, get out the Brasso and head for Etruria!

No wonder Blossom is spiving Darley for all he is worth although it was pretty 'bright' when Terry had it, perhaps a little too much.

I feel I must respond to these comments as I am more than a little annoyed by them and want to put the picture straight. Firstly I have no interest in ‘going for gold’ at any show, the only people I am only interested in is what working boaters think of me, my boat and how it’s presented and as far as all the ‘spiving’ that I am doing to Darley, this is for nobody’s benefit but my own. As for it being ‘perhaps a little too much’ then that is someone else’s view and certainly not mine. Those that know me, and I mean know me really well, know that I have nothing but great commitment to all working boats. Yes, some might say I am in a lucky situation in as much as I started learning about working boats 50 years ago when there was still plenty of trade left on the system. I hear a lot of talk about ‘shiny boats’ and ‘ours is a working boat and not a museum piece - I find that sort of comment offensive by those who just can’t be bothered to keep their boats in the condition that reflects and rejoices the ways of the true working boat stock, anything less suggests that they were dirty and lazy. To prove my point just look at old photo’s of the Bray’s, the Witlocks, Jacky Monk etc. and their boats were working 24 – 7 from the Warwickshire coal fields southbound but were always spotless and immaculately turned out. With me it is simply the way I was brought up and a pride in my boat and I will never change.

Blossom

I am extremely sorry if I have upset you Blossom. Your kindness has greatly enhanced our boating. My intention, as the Great Helmsman has already noted, is to make a light hearted comment on the lines of 'there is no point in anyone else entering the competition' as once you get to work on an already immaculate boat what chance do any lesser mortals have? In any event had the gods conspired differently I, if not the Great Helmsman ,would have jumped at the chance to buy Darley. In fact I had a word with Terry when he was working on Darley at Keith's and at the time he was very undecided about selling and also even if he had sold he wanted to sell his boats as a pair. If we had bought Darley I would not have been rolling about in the mud on the bank for the past 18 months.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Was never no competition in our street as to who had the cleanest windows and step, it was done from pride in appearance - satisfaction of the soul. Too much competitiveness in life by far nowadays. All taken too seriously, and often by those who never lived it. Even red oxide can look good if it is clean and given its due for what it is. Tittyvating a bit of brass is always satifying and who likes a drooping fender?

A smartly turned out boat cheers the heart. Job done.

No offense or judgement intended to anyone, but seeking to gain some vase in a competition would put me off. Meeting up on the other hand, is every bit the greater incentive.

Paddington, rolling about in the mud gives a lot more satisfaction for having been there and done it, than writing out a cheque and buying the end result. Though with age there does come a time when a bit less rolling about is appreciated!

I totally agree with all of the above. That is why I am so glad that Warrior has been sold to someone, an ex Grenadier Guard, to whom polishing and spivving comes as second nature. You only have to look at the help with moving/Beatrice thread in New to boating to see the effects of his /their previous efforts on their current boat.

Edited by PaddingtonBear