Engine Tie Bar

Featured Posts

the Lidan is 8.5" bore i can't measure the stroke as it is seized at the moment but i estimate capacity to be between 8 and 12 litres, possibly about 30hp @ about 400rpm but no one seems to know anything about them i'll post some pictures when i get time

Tom

i seem to have killed this thread, doesn't anyone want to argue about bearings anymore?

I have some Parson bearings (F-type I think) still in their orignal grease paper with 1940-something date stamped on them - are they now wrong in 2011 - should I throw them in the bin? :o

no, a four point contact bearing is a perfectly good design, more compact than a pair of taper rollers and accomplishes the same thing, how much would you want for one? i have a parsons F type box on a Fowler.

Tom

I have some Parson bearings (F-type I think) still in their orignal grease paper with 1940-something date stamped on them - are they now wrong in 2011 - should I throw them in the bin? :o

Certainly not!

Tim

iv mounted my engine on 12 heavy duty landrover engine mounts....i drilled and tapped the engine bearers made a frame for the engine out of 75x10..and bolted it up....the engine mounts were £2.50 each and could be changed in 20 mins with a small toe jack and a 1/2 spanner...

15022011067.jpg

Edited by station tug

My work is done here. Those with an engineering bent will think about it, others will not. I have more old stuff than most of you could poke a stick at, I'm 50 years old and been collecting and using this stuff since I was 14 or so. i just lay my head on the desk and said to myself "shut up you fool". Like a split bearing is something great, its an half arsed attempt at an angular contact bearing before they could make stuff more accurately. No dont throw it in the bin.....let someone put them in a museum.