Fold down cross tree'd flag mast

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where I can get a 'fold down cross tree'd burgee mast' (in wood) at the 'right' price?

Sir Edmund's had gone missing before purchase and I would like to replace it.

None of the chandlers list one and the only ones I've seen are on eBay and are 'silly money' (over £125). Unlike those fitted to larger river/sea going craft, this only needs to be about 40cm or so high. I could actually make one but if I go that route, I need to see some so I can expand/fudge/combine ideas.

Some would say the idea of fitting one is daft, but those that know the Frobisher style will appreciate that this will (I believe) sit nicely on the lowered forecabin area. :help:

I believe Blackrose made one himself and, iirc, left some rather good instructions, on here.

Edited to add:

I've had a search and it would appear that Blackrose made a fold down mast out of box section, to carry his nav lights so not what you were after.

My memory is flawed (though it was over 3 years ago).

Edited by carlt

Yes, mine was box section aluminium, but was it Daniel who made a mast out of a hickory pickaxe (or sledgehammer) handle, with a cross-member near the top. It looked the part.

Thanks so far guys, this is the sort of thing that I'm aiming for....mahogany-masts.jpg

Just reading the responses, I reckon that if I make one, I can use a piece of ally U section channel for the base so there will be no water trap to rot a wooden base.