L&L to Wakefield-Halifax

Boaty Malone

Featured Posts

Hi,

I came down the Leeds & Liverpool last year starting at the Wigan flight and moored at Skipton for a few days. Going from there and through the 5 & 3 rise locks into Leeds and mooring in Clarence Dock. It took me nearly 2 days to get there now how long should it take roughly to get into the main centre of Wakefield from Clarence Dock ? Is it easily do-able in 1 day? Also once at Wakefield how long should I be looking at to get to Halifax? And where would you recommend mooring and where NOT to moor along the route from Clarence Dock?

Regards

Terry

Yes we do Clarence Dock to base (Calder Grove, beyond Wakefield) easily in a day. Takes about 8 hours. Automated locks make life easy.

Some good places to moor up along the way- Lemonroyd Marina, Castleford Junction, Stanley Ferry.

There was a good pub riverside at Allerton Bywater, but it was closed down last time we passed, it may have reopened now though.

Central Wakefield moorings may start to fill up soon with the imminent opening of the Hepworth Art Gallery.

Better to keep going and use the visitor moorings by the Navigation at Calder Grove imho.

The canal does not go into Halifax.

It has a Halifax line at Salter Hebble but you would need to walk the last few miles.

Also Sowerby Bridge is close to Halifax.

Think my info is correct can someone correct if wrong

Your correct, there's regular bus/trains to from Sowerby Bridge to Halifax - about a 10min journey by bus.

Do not forget that you will need a Calder & Hebble spike to operate the locks on the journey from Wakefield to Sowerby bridge if you have never travelled that route before and do not have one.

See C&H spike and Skipton to Sowerby Bridge

Should also have said that there are many spots for mooring above Calder grive and up to Sowerby Bridge including but not limited to

Above Figure of 3 locks

Shepley Bridge

Opposite Sought Pennine Boat Club

Cooper Bridge

Above Kirkless top lock

Brighouse

Above Cromwell lock

Eland

Salterhebble

Never had trouble at any of the above.