Old canal photos (and one film) around Staffordshire

Québec

Featured Posts

Apologies to those who already know about this resource, but I stumbled across the Staffordshire Past-Track website which has c. 60 photos related to local canals, and a short film 'Canal Boats in the Potteries' featuring clips from early 20th century up to 1950s. Film can be viewed online or downloaded (scroll down the webpage for the links)

Photos

Film

• Greenie 1

Stunning selection of pictures. I got to 207 pages of thumbnails before gasping for Tea.

Some interesting shots of the Brindley tunnel; boats about to enter from the Northern end, and canoeists inside after closure to traffic.

Good find. Couldn't get the filmclip to run, but suspect that is one well known.

Edited by Derek R.

one of the pictures caught my eye:

247440.jpg

Interesting that the moored working boat appears to have been secured by mud weights as well as land lines.

Was this a common practise?

Edit to add looked more closely at the picture it is actually a sunken boat.

Edited by Ray T

Part of the Digitalmidlands

Seven projects from across the Midlands have joined forces to create a unique digital record of the region. Some of the finest cultural, heritage, natural history and community collections have been digitised and made accessible over the Internet through a searchable database. Collectively, this major new resource demonstrates what makes the Midlands a special place in which to live and learn.

Stunning selection of pictures. I got to 207 pages of thumbnails before gasping for Tea.

Some interesting shots of the Brindley tunnel; boats about to enter from the Northern end, and canoeists inside after closure to traffic.

Good find. Couldn't get the filmclip to run, but suspect that is one well known.

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/history/archive.php3

has some interesting canal pictures...

The pictures of Marple Locks are very interesting, showing the original tail paddle arrangement, namely 2 ground paddles on the towpath side, and 2 gate paddles on the offside gate.

That must have been a hell of a ride down!

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/history/archive.php3

has some interesting canal pictures...

The pictures of Marple Locks are very interesting, showing the original tail paddle arrangement, namely 2 ground paddles on the towpath side, and 2 gate paddles on the offside gate.

That must have been a hell of a ride down!

Some crackers in that lot! I particularly like the shots of Hartley and Aspinall's Canal Iron works.

Somehow the Portland Basin warehouse looks better semi-derelict. Can't have it both ways can we!