Featured Posts

Re- Wifi

We live in Turkey and I use an Alfa wifi booter

Which pickup wifi hot spot up to 5 mile away no problems with XP or Window 7;

(Link: http://www.alfa.com.tw ) No:awus036nh

easy to install/ fast to pick wifi

They cost around £25.00 in turkey may be cheaper in the UK

Chris & Sandra

Great kit & simple to install but range is limited by connected antenna. Picking up the beacon of an AP/hotspot five miles away is very different from making & retaining the two way connection required for adequate Internet connectivity. Would be very surprised if you regularly got a usable connection over that distance.

Great kit & simple to install but range is limited by connected antenna. Picking up the beacon of an AP/hotspot five miles away is very different from making & retaining the two way connection required for adequate Internet connectivity. Would be very surprised if you regularly got a usable connection over that distance.

Its fine you are upping your output, but surly you are still relying on the output power of the modem you are trying to talk to. Bit like a pair of walktalkies if mine is 5 watts and yours only 1 at extreme distance you will hear me, but I wont hear you. Can you put me straight.

Its fine you are upping your output, but surly you are still relying on the output power of the modem you are trying to talk to. Bit like a pair of walktalkies if mine is 5 watts and yours only 1 at extreme distance you will hear me, but I wont hear you. Can you put me straight.

Spot on although an access point/hotspot uses a wireless (WiFi) transceiver not modem.

Remember though that the equipment at your end as well as having significantly greater transmit power, has a more sensitive receiver as well. Couple this to the gain of the antenna(s) its connected to, which work equally in both directions, & you are significantly bucking the odds for both receive & transmit.

For the record, the equipment recommended at the beginning of this thread can be set equally as Access Point(hotspot) or Station(your boat). In professional dedicated link environments with this equipment at both ends connected to suitably placed antenna's & good line of sight between, usable links of 25 - 35 miles are achievable.

:smiley_offtopic: (slightly) If you live in the Hull area which until recently has suffered a monopoly from Kingston Communications for phone & Internet connections, a new option from Sure broadband is available. If you check out their webpage you will see they offer Ubiquity NanoStation's mounted on roof to provide broadband direct to your home wirelessly.

Edited by richardhula

By dongle I assume you mean the commonly available mobile broadband USB dongle which with SIM card inserted allows Internet access to your laptop. The problem is the bandwidth & therefore speed is severely limited (at present at least). Depending on your ISP it can be expensive & almost certainly will have a monthly cap on downloaded data. Mobile broadband is fine for your phone but just not tailored for heavy use on a laptop or PC.

I have 15gb per month for £15, would hardly say thats limited. More than enough..as far as speed is concerned i play online gaming on my travels and works almost everywhere fine.

I have 15gb per month for £15, would hardly say thats limited. More than enough..as far as speed is concerned i play online gaming on my travels and works almost everywhere fine.

If it works for you that's great. Once you are on the move things may change which is why you would maybe want other options.

I also have 15 gigs a month for £15 from 3. It's more than enough for normal web surfing, but I find I use it all up now downloading HD programs from Iplayer. Also I get very good transfer speeds now - I have my dongle atop a twenty foot pole on the roof and regularly get 5mbs.

I am a Professional musician and radio presenter so a good connection is essential. This is what I use:

http://www.globesurfer.co.uk/index.html with a High gain directional antenna

http://www.connextech.co.uk/tri-band-gsm3g-directional-high-gain-panel-smp-918-9-59-p.asp

I have the Three 15Gb for £15 and a Vodafone and O2 Pay as you go Sims. The only time I had a problem was in Milton Keynes and that is the worst place for internet. (official) !!

As I type this I am moored up along the Cut North of Watford on the GU Surrounded by trees with a -67 db signal (Very good) live so it’s working great and the Blues show hasn’t dropped once.

Regards

BobB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have one of the ubiquity gizmos to connect to the free WiFi at my marina. It's good, but it's professional equipment that doesn't come with instructions, so it takes a bit of knowledge to set it up the first time. You can download some instructions from the internet, but they might not be for exactly the same unit.

As other thread on wifi ants

The set up in the link is the same as the Turbo Tenna which works realy well, however you can get similar kit at a fraction of the price

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19dd7dcf18

plus

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d22e24f98

This is what I use and am getting free wifi whilst afloat from a nearby supermarket

Ray

I have been looking at buying a Huawei E 5330. to give me internet connection, as recommended on other threads, but have been told they do not have a facility to connect a external ariel. Does anyone use this unit and how does it operate inside a steel narrowboat???

Thanks, Mike.

The E5332 (different model ?) does have an aerial socket, it is 3G, not 4G (LTE)

Inside a steel narrowboat it will work as well as a mobile phone will, if you have a good signal from your supplier.

The wi-fi works with out problems as it would in a house, any walls between the unit and the receiver (laptop etc.) will reduce the signal

There are new models out there, for example E5372 (about £100) that has two aerial sockets and is 4G.

It will still connect to 3G, it is your sim that controls that.

Two aerials will be required if connecting to 4G and your ISP has multi stream

4G correctly called LTE is a MiMo system, Multi in Multi out

Having said all that the wi-fi unit may pick up a signal (ISP) if placed in a window/ porthole, it will just be improved by an aerial.