A Tug on the Derwent

canaldrifter

Featured Posts

With my mate Pete, we took our other mate Pete's Bantam Tug, Kingfisher, for a spin up the Derwent today, just to charge the batteries.

In a wind gusting to 50mph, steering was 'interesting'. It's not often you see white horses on the Derwent, nor have waves and spray breaking over the bows of an inland tug! Both of us are ex navy. It was quite nostalgic.

HPIM6554.JPG

HPIM6551.JPG

HPIM6561.JPG

HPIM6563.JPG

HPIM6564.JPG

Tone

Reminds me of this day some while back on the River Hull:

RoughWeather.jpg

Mike

Ah, those Yorkshire breezes. Nice shot. I tried and tried to get a shot of the water breaking over the bow, but missed it every time!

However this is the consolation... Upper Lough Earne in our hire boat Oct 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g6GVVjxZCg

Tone

• 4 weeks later...

elvingtontobreighton009.jpg

That is a funky little boat.

Is that a clip on shelter?

Looking at the photographs of the little boat, it does look very much like a clip on shelter, I've seen one looking similar to this one in France about 2 or 3 years ago, but don't think it's the same boat.

Peter.

The boat is a Norman 17 (17 feet long)built around the late 60s.This is the deluxe model with the optional fly bridge,this is semi permant fitted.Although I have fiber glassed mine on.Powered with an outboard from 5hp to 20hp,sleeps 2.A good example can sell for over £4000 but normally sell for about £1600.A popular boat as its easy to use by one person,good for overnight stops and very cheap to run.

10april2011boattopock018.jpg