Limehouse to Teddington

Evo

Featured Posts

Excellent Vid Mike and great info Keeping Up

Oh yeah....whats the answer to the question..???

There never is a right answer. However having a radio opens up extra possibilities.

How would I deal with it?

I would either

1) use the outside edge of arch 1 and then pull back into the channel again to avoid the exclusion zone but it looked like one of them might have been going for the pier

2) slow down and radio up the trip boats

3) or since I was in a reasonably fast and maneuverable tug at the time, cut across their bows to the center arch

4) as it happened I asked for local knowledge (never under estimate the value of this), and did number 3 without the worry.

Second, had the isophase light been active it doesn't preclude the use of that arch, but you must not impede vessels transiting them.

I hope that hasn't put you off, but hope it gives some ideas of what can happen and it all happens surprisingly quickly on the tide way. If you do decide to turn into the tide make sure your intentions are clear as it will confuse the hell out of everybody on the water! Remember as a boat traveling along the river you have right of way and in theory maneuvering boats should keep clear of the channel.

All the best,

Mike

I can see Phyllis struggling with that one. Never mind though you have the Ref book beside you all through the test..in fact to fail this test apparently you have to be a complete moron.

Now we know why you don't want to take it.

Sebrof

• Greenie 4

Now thats good - and worth a greenie... :lol:

Seriously, whilst I agree that a course doesn't seem very cost-effective just for one day, conditions on the river between Limehouse and Westminster can be quite challenging, especially as narrow-boats are not designed for them.

Finding somebody to go with you, who holds a licence and owns a portable, would be a Very Good Idea. :-)

Sebrof

I think a number of peeps have got completely the wrong impression of what I'm about. I'm not going off whizzing up the Thames all gunho.

I mean the first thing is I've brought it up on here and used my erm, it seems controversial style, to provoke a proper response from those that have done it or done similar. I'm not that dim that I'm going to totally ignore what has been said.

I think some things have come to light that are not particulary well defined....like do you need a radio or not and who stops you if you haven't. Who ensures that you know the sounds, the lights, the rights of way, the characteristics of the water, and any other potential problems. Nobody if you dont ask..!!!

At the end of the day it still appears posible that if you are so inclined you can float on upto the lock and pass through unchallenged - and I'm sure alot do. The purpose of this thread wasn't to find out wether I could get away with not having a radio and a license but just how important it is that I have one. I think theres enough info here now to make an educated decision. Thanks

I think a number of peeps have got completely the wrong impression of what I'm about. I'm not going off whizzing up the Thames all gunho.

I mean the first thing is I've brought it up on here and used my erm, it seems controversial style, to provoke a proper response from those that have done it or done similar. I'm not that dim that I'm going to totally ignore what has been said.

I think some things have come to light that are not particulary well defined....like do you need a radio or not and who stops you if you haven't. Who ensures that you know the sounds, the lights, the rights of way, the characteristics of the water, and any other potential problems. Nobody if you dont ask..!!!

At the end of the day it still appears posible that if you are so inclined you can float on upto the lock and pass through unchallenged - and I'm sure alot do. The purpose of this thread wasn't to find out wether I could get away with not having a radio and a license but just how important it is that I have one. I think theres enough info here now to make an educated decision. Thanks

If it's no a true impression, why deliberately provoke it? Do you like people thinking you are a prat? :rolleyes:

Tim

If it's no a true impression, why deliberately provoke it? Do you like people thinking you are a prat? :rolleyes:

Tim

Yes thats fine..its alot better than actually being one.

Edited by Evo

Seriously, whilst I agree that a course doesn't seem very cost-effective just for one day, conditions on the river between Limehouse and Westminster can be quite challenging, especially as narrow-boats are not designed for them.

Finding somebody to go with you, who holds a licence and owns a portable, would be a Very Good Idea. :-)

Sebrof

Not cost effective?

There were 8 people on our course all of whom paid £80 so a total of £640. The instructer had hired the room we were in for £300 for the day. So that leaves him £340, out of that he has to pay himself a wage, provide refreshments for the 8 pupils plus himself and set aside a sum of money for the repair, maintenance and purchase of the VHF handsets used in the classes as well as provide prior to the class taking place all of the relevant RYA booklets and paperwork.

IMO it was a very good day, we both learnt a lot epsecially about the DCS side of the radio and we also gained the knowledge of how to operate the radio safely and confidently in the event of an emergency. Not something that come naturally despite what some people like to imagine. Well worth the £160 it cost for the two of us to do the course.

Yes thats fine..its alot better than actually being one.

If the gentlemanly and mild mannered Tim Leech is calling you a prat (and make no mistake, he is) then it's a good idea to listen. This man has experience of deep and tidal waters.

Though there is some good discussion on this thread from the people who know what they're talking about on the tidal Thames and I've learnt a lot.

I hope you have too.

Not cost effective?

Please quote me correctly:

"I agree that a course doesn't seem very cost-effective just for one day."

I then went on to say that conditions merited a VHF, and suggested Evo take a friend WITH a licence and VHF.

Which gives a totally different impression from your inaccurate quote.

Furthermore, I have done a course myself, which was excellent, and I carry, and use, a VHF. It's the legal and sensible thing to do.

You get NULL POINTS for precis.

Sebrof

Edited by sebrof

It gets unbelievable this place...!! condescending nitwits come on and start telling me I'd better listen to this bloke because he's quiet and mild mannered and knowledgeable. Oh yeah, his contribution to the thread is to suggest I'm considered a Pratt ..great. (maybe he said something earlier I cant be arsed to look).

Non of you know wether I took that course and now have a license anyway...jeez. I wouldn't put our lives/valued possesion in the hands of some other bloke who had done a one day course on how to talk on a radio. You lot can if you like.

My mate here - who sits opposite me at work and did the course last year - says he wouldn't want that kind of responsibility with the limited experience he's got anyway.

Edited by Evo

It gets unbelievable this place...!! condescending nitwits come on and start telling me I'd better listen to this bloke because he's quiet and mild mannered and knowledgeable. Oh yeah, his contribution to the thread is to suggest I'm considered a Pratt ..great. (maybe he said something earlier I cant be arsed to look).

Non of you know wether I took that course and now have a license anyway...jeez. I wouldn't put our lives/valued possesion in the hands of some other bloke who had done a one day course on how to talk on a radio. You lot can if you like.

My mate here - who sits opposite me at work and did the course last year - says he wouldn't want that kind of responsibility with the limited experience he's got anyway.

Given the start date of this topic and that you didnt have a licence when it started, then i seriously doubt that you have gone out and gained one in the time that has elapsed since.

Evo, had you enquired about the usefulness of a VHF, rather than the legal consequences of not having one, people might have formed a more favourable impression of your attitude to navigating what can be quite a dangerous stretch of water. Remember the Marchioness?

Of the various points raised here (or a similar thread), I would suggest that checking the integrity of your fuel and cooling systems are two of the most important. Having transferred to the Thames from the canals, I have had my cooling system completely overhauled, all hoses and clips replaced, the pump serviced and impeller changed, the sight-gauge cleaned and greased, and a filter fitted. Also a new and much bigger expansion tank has been fitted.

Fuel is gravity fed, and I have checked the hose, replaced the filter, serviced the injectors, and am having my injector pump overhauled. Still haven't worked out how to clean the inside of the tank, but that's next on the list.

If your engine fails at an inopportune moment, you could very quickly be in dire trouble, with little chance of somebody getting to you in time. But if they do, you need a crew member ready and able to grab the lifeline while you are hanging on to the tiller like grim death trying to miss Tower Bridge.

Tell me when you are going, and I shall station myself on the said bridge with a camera to record your heroic last moments. If the footage is shown on the evening news I should earn a few bob, and you won't have died in vain. :P

Cheers

Sebrof

:cheers:

Edited by sebrof

Tell me when you are going, and I shall station myself on the said bridge with a camera to record your heroic last moments. If the footage is shown on the evening news I should earn a few bob, and you won't have died in vain. :P

Cheers

Sebrof

ooh I think there will be a small crowd.....

Given the start date of this topic and that you didnt have a licence when it started, then i seriously doubt that you have gone out and gained one in the time that has elapsed since.

Wel then I suggest you re-read the thread and only make comments when you know the facts.

"No need to"

...which is why you are on my idiot list. I got a quote remember, an email back, a day to do it (Last Sunday)....holy shit Phylis I'd really want you on my radio..fooking hell...!!!!

Edited by Evo

"No need to"

...which is why you are on my idiot list. I got a quote remember, an email back, a day (Last Sunday)....holy shit Phylis I'd really want you on my radio..fooking hell...!!!!

A quote, wow. I got a quote to buy a new Greenline Yacht, doesnt mean i own it yet does it?

Whatever happens and whatever I decide to do I certainly got another 'Your an irresponsible arse' response from the regulars on here for raising what is obviously an issue that needs sorting out. You cant have London Harbour masters announcing in IWA presentations that they dont care wether you have a license or not but would prefer if you got yourself a radio and listened. In print they state they are mandatory but in practice their own staff dont give a toss and let anyone out there.

Good stuff though, liked the pics of coppers boarding the terrorists in their getaway vehicle, and the old empty working boat bobbing about like a discarded galvanised bath tub. Am seriously looking forward to it again...got 3 weeks this year..wahay

hahaha..Your right Martin except he must be charging time and half for Sunday. Well if he can I can so thats makes it alot more. :P

I've been up and down between Brentford and Limehouse a few times and although I've been asked by the lockkeepers whether I have VHF nobody's ever physically checked.

I've also seen a hire boat leaving Limehouse and when I asked the lockkeeper whether he thought they had VHF he just shrugged his shoulders.

However, if you ask whether it's possible to contravene the PLA rules on a public forum I don't think you should really be surprised or angry when you get some finger-wagging replies. I know you weren't asking for anyone's approval or disapproval, but since it's a public forum you're bound to get both.

I first did Brentford to Limehouse in 2005 just before they brought the VHF rules in and I've done it a couple of times since with a handheld VHF and short range licence. To be honest I thought the course I did in Southampton was crap and I still consider myself a novice when it comes to operating the radio. Once when I left Limehouse it was so windy I couldn't even hear the bloody thing over the noise of the wind despite messing about with the squelch and volume settings. But rules is rules, and if you want to break them then only you can decide about that.

Edit: BTW, if you decide to do it (with or without a radio), google "BW tideway handbook upstream" and you can download a handy guidebook for the trip.

Edited by blackrose

Nice one blackrose...!!

I know what some folk on forums are like - especially this one - I'm not moaning about any of it.

just hurling insults at them...

That wasn't an insult that was a request for you to shut up until someone who new what they were talking about had spoken.

I dont know wether you've noticed but an awful lot of threads turn to ratshit - well sillyness - when you and Phylis start. hahaha :D

This thread breaks down into...

silly bit, interesting bit, silly bit, interesting bit, really informative bit, silly bit, good bit, silly bit.

Now I'd like to bet I know which sections you're in Martin. No offense of course just pointing out fact.

That wasn't an insult that was a request for you to shut up until someone who new what they were talking about had spoken.

I dont know wether you've noticed but an awful lot of threads turn to ratshit - well sillyness - when you and Phylis start. hahaha :D

silly bit, interesting bit, silly bit, interesting bit, really informative bit, silly bit, good bit, silly bit.

Now I'd like to bet I know which sections you're in Martin. No offense of course just pointing out fact.

I think actually if you check your original question was answered by post #4 - by guess who.

Would that be the silly bits where it was pointed out to you that you were breaking regulations, puting others safety at risk and putting your own safety at risk?