Saving Hot Water (but not on the boat)

sharpness

Featured Posts

I was thinking the other day as I was doing the washing up about the hot water wasted. We have a gas boiler the other end of the house with a hot water cylinder & I need to run off a bowl of starting cold, gradually getting warmer water to get a bowl of hot water for the dishes. It then wastes another bowlful of hot water sat in the pipes going cold.

Would it be more energy efficient to boil the electric kettle?

Somebody must be able to work it out? I can't I'm afraid.

Thanks

Steve

Fit a tap to your hot water cylinder, fill the bowl there and take it to the kitchen. Hot water saved, exercise gotten (plus a wet carpet if you drop the bowl). Perhaps kids have the right idea, was up as infrequently as possible to avoid wasting too much water!

We do try to use the initial water we draw off for other things.

I was thinking the other day as I was doing the washing up about the hot water wasted. We have a gas boiler the other end of the house with a hot water cylinder & I need to run off a bowl of starting cold, gradually getting warmer water to get a bowl of hot water for the dishes. It then wastes another bowlful of hot water sat in the pipes going cold.

Thanks

Steve

What's all this...Bobby-twoflasks- bass malarky !!

I could get quite offended..

If your house tank is electrically heated...not from boiler via a coil...as I guess it would be..then boiling a kettle would be cheaper...

you are not wasting water in the pipe..and not wasting power replacing it in the tank...

By the way..I bought a second tank...and pipework to setup/make my own solar heating panel.

I do get bored...

Best wishes..

Bob-twoflasks !!

Thanks

Steve

Buy paper plates and plastic cutlery and cups. After use, put these on your open fire/stove to provide space heating. In hot weather use normal pottery/cutlery, connect a long black hose to the cold tap, run it around the garden in full sun and back to the kitchen sink ...... but remember to save used/unused water for watering the garden/flushing the loo...............

:cheers:

Our friends run the hot tap into a bucket until they draw warm/hot water. They then use the bucket to flush the toilet.

It saves water but not the heat lost from the pipe run.

Thanks

Steve

We bought or dishwasher and washing machine that are both "cold fill" on the basis of this. The dishwasher uses 11 litres of water per wash, which is about a bowlful, but I realised that to do the same amount in the sink takes 3 bowlfuls. Two to do that amount of washing up in reasonably clean water, and one to get hot water from the instant heater to the sink!

If your house tank is electrically heated...not from boiler via a coil...as I guess it would be..then boiling a kettle would be cheaper...

you are not wasting water in the pipe..and not wasting power replacing it in the tank...

Bob-twoflasks !!

Thats the wrong answer!! I said "We have a gas boiler the other end of the house with a hot water cylinder"

Steve

We bought or dishwasher and washing machine that are both "cold fill" on the basis of this.

Yes, our dishwasher (and washing machine) is cold fill, I just always seem to get left with the bits that won't fit in.

Steve