Laptop battery replacement

Québec

Featured Posts

We need (asap!) a replacement battery for our Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop

The official Dell ones are hideously expensive, well over £100. Have also found one online for £28.00 - which I assume must be utter rubbish. Any advice from the IT experts on here on where to buy a decent but not too expensive replacement.

Tech spec: 4 or 6 cell, 14.8v, Code:GW240

Thanks in advance

Paul (Québec)

We need (asap!) a replacement battery for our Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop

The official Dell ones are hideously expensive, well over £100. Have also found one online for £28.00 - which I assume must be utter rubbish. Any advice from the IT experts on here on where to buy a decent but not too expensive replacement.

Tech spec: 4 or 6 cell, 14.8v, Code:GW240

Thanks in advance

Paul (Québec)

There seems to be loads out there priced between the cheapo one you found and the genuine Dell one

http://www.mylaptopbattery.co.uk/dell-gw240.htm

http://www.laptops-battery.co.uk/dell-gw240.htm

http://www.laptop-battery-replacement.co.uk/dell-gw240-d608h-battery-for-dell-inspiron-1545-1525-1526-762.html

and ebay seems to be awash with 'genuine' Dell ones at a better price - but you need to be very careful on there to ensure you do actually get a genuine product...

ETA - just noticed Chris' post too - some of the English in the links I posted is not good suggesting not UK at all or sometimes these can be the same co. going under a different name/web address - it's a jungle out there - sometimes it can be best to go with a genuine one from the original manufacturer - even if it costs more.

Edited by MJG

.......sometimes it can be best to go with a genuine one from the original manufacturer - even if it costs more.

I have a Dell Studio, and am very dissapointed with how short the time was between it being purchased (new) and it starting to come up with messages saying the battery would need replacing soon.

I think I have not treated it unreasonably, but it now doesn't last very long on it's own.

Of course I may just have got unlucky and got a bad one, but I think if I do bother to replace, I'll try a cheapie. I could get through quite a few for the cost of one Dell one.

On a similar note I have a Canon Ixus camera, where the "official" batteries are about £40, but you can buy cheapos at under £4. Again I think I'll be tempted to try a stack of the latter, if the need arises.

I have a Dell Studio, and am very dissapointed with how short the time was between it being purchased (new) and it starting to come up with messages saying the battery would need replacing soon.

I think I have not treated it unreasonably, but it now doesn't last very long on it's own.

Of course I may just have got unlucky and got a bad one, but I think if I do bother to replace, I'll try a cheapie. I could get through quite a few for the cost of one Dell one.

On a similar note I have a Canon Ixus camera, where the "official" batteries are about £40, but you can buy cheapos at under £4. Again I think I'll be tempted to try a stack of the latter, if the need arises.

You pays your money and takes your choice as they say - I have a mix of genuine and non-genuine batteries at home in laptop/cameras/camcorders.

If I buy non genuine I avoid the very cheapo crap that comes in from the far east and mostly have the likes of (hanell??? sp) which cleverly sounds German (implying quality) but apparently is made in Ireland....

Trying to help the OP I've just had a sheggy on the Dell web site and it says a moderate user should get 18 to 24 months out of their battery...and a 'power user' will only get 'up to' 18 months.

Hi Paul

My IT OH did a bit of hunting for you. Reckons the following all good and if had to opt for one says he'd go for the laptopbatteryshop.

With UK address for their Warehouse which is a bit more promising.

I bought a battery for a ThinkPad from laptopbatteryshop a couple of years ago and I'm very pleased with it - it's still going strong now.

Tony

Just one thought it may not be your battery, it could be just a software problem in battery management. Both my sons have Dell laptops crica 4 years ols and there batteries started saying they were at end on life after about 18 months. It turned out to be the battery management software being over sensitive. Before you actually buy a new battery read some stuff on-line about battery man software problems with Dell laptops

The vast majority of batteries are made by the same company. I think one of them is Sony. Anyhoo I work in IT and we've been steadily replacing Thinkpad batteries at a rate of 5 a week or so. Before that preferred laptop was Dell and guess what we had to replace most of those due the faulty batch where they were catching fire.

Just have to be mindfull that cheap is not always best if your laptops got any kind of warranty on it a none brand battery could invalidate any warranty or cause damage to your machine.