Paperwork when selling a Nb?

Featured Posts

Thinking of selling my Nb and was wondering what legal documentation i have to give the new owner to make it theirs?

Is it just a case of informing BW or would i have to go to a solicitor?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If it's a private cash sale a dated/detailed receipt/bill of sale should be OK, there seems no register of boat sales on inland waterways, MCA (i think) produce a bill of sale that is on occasion used by some people wanting something more professional looking but very rarely (if ever) are these sales registered with the MCA.

With my last boat purchase I ended up asking for signed affadavits from all involved just to settle my nerves, but at the sale of my current boat I shall just produce a document/bill of sale that suits both parties.

All other paperwork concerning the boats history is available to possible purchasers on request the only bit I have missing is the vat paid initial invoice that some people might want just in case the boat is taken abroad.

The modern canal industry appears at first sight to be legit and fully accountable but many deals are done on little more than trust and might as well be recorded on the back of a fag packet IME

no offence intended to anybody, just my opinion.

Perhaps there is room for an inland waterways craft register?

The buyers might want to see some paperwork from you to reassure themselves that you do own it.

BW have a change of ownership form that you will need to complete.

Much the same as buying/selling a car privately.

{Snip}

Leave the manual & records of work done on the boat & notify the licensing authority.

{Snip}

Our recent licence renewal letter also had included a change of ownership notification to let BW know that you have transferred ownership. Presumably this is to prevent them coming after you for licence renewals or overstaying fines :)