A grey area

Lesd

Featured Posts

Jon didn't want us to cloud the 'unlicencensed boat' thread by talking about cc'ers and bridge hoppers but I am very interested in people's views about what I think is a grey area on that debate.

My scenario (actually based on people I've met and talked to on the cut) is as follows;

A live aboard boat spends two weeks in one spot, then after two weeks moves a few miles up the cut to a new neighbourhood. They then stay there for a further two weeks and then move on again to a new neighbourhood. This pattern continues for 2-3 months at which point they then turn around and return to the same spot that they started 2-3 months ago. They then start the same pattern again covering the ground covered 2-3 months previously. So they dont stay in one place for more than two weeks and they only return to a spot they have visited before every 2-3 months.

Is this CC'ing or bridge hopping ? legalor illeagle ? To me its actually somewhere in the middle. I'd be interested in your views of how this fits in with the BW regulations.

Oh and its not supposed to just stir up a load of grief again but just to get opinions on the rules and regs and how this scenario fits. Thanks

Rgds

Les

Hi to bring this all the way back to the begining.

Yes it is somewhere in the middle, it is not in the spirit of the'law' but the only 'person' that can give the definitive answer is BW.

Go here for BW guide or CCers PDF file

ps. I do not own a boat...................................................................................................yet

And I can see an out of date licence at 25 meters since I had my eyes done.

Maffi, you can know everything about boats canals etc, but cruising around like an eagle frowning at people whose licences are out of date or getting all worked up about the odd bridge hopping hippy with his dog..... well its sad and not really in the spirit of boating at all. You need a bit of a laissez faire attitude on the cut, otherwise you will go mad.

Maffi, you can know everything about boats canals etc, but cruising around like an eagle frowning at people whose licences are out of date or getting all worked up about the odd bridge hopping hippy with his dog..... well its sad and not really in the spirit of boating at all. You need a bit of a laissez faire attitude on the cut, otherwise you will go mad.

You seem to misunderstand me. The question was asked and I answered.

In all honesty I don't really give a rats a***, bridge hoppers tend to be where I am not going to be so no problem.

I would point out though that in order to apply 'common sense' to the rules it is important that you understand the rules. Many interpretations I have seen seem to be saying "How can I get round this" and "does it really mean what it says" and even things that are not even in the rules. As a guidance these particular rules are not only well written, but well explained and while some rules do leave a lot to interpretation these clearly don't, unless your motives are less than honourable.

If you don't mind I will decide what attitude I need on the cut and I just might surprise everyone.

Edited by Maffi

If you have a mooring you are bound by the same rules as a cc'er once you leave your home mooring. You cant go to Little Venice moorings and expect to stay more than the 14 days there in one year (eg to keep returning there over a number of weekends making it add up more than those 14 days.)

I dont actaully think thats the case all.

- I think you quite allowed to saty 14 days on a 14 day mooring, them com back an do another 14 days a few months later.

Daniel

en explain this comment you made Fender

If you have a mooring you are bound by the same rules as a cc'er once you leave your home mooring. You cant go to Little Venice moorings and expect to stay more than the 14 days there in one year (eg to keep returning there over a number of weekends making it add up more than those 14 days.)

oh fer christs sake go away! I have never said there is a rule that states you cant return to a mooring withing one year. GET IT??? These places I am talking about stipulate that you cannot use up more than the mooring allocation in one year they dont say you cant return within the year. There's a whole world of difference between what you think and what these mooring sites stipulate. I actually had a nice moorings warden a couple of years ago explain to me how the rules work. Go and find a mooring site that has these specific type of instructions and read them fer yerself or better still ask the moorings warden for their advice!

I dont actaully think thats the case all.

- I think you quite allowed to saty 14 days on a 14 day mooring, them com back an do another 14 days a few months later.

Daniel

Yes in your part of the country. If you come down south - to use up the maximum allocation in a lot of places means you cant return. If you split it up into bits you can return as long as it doesnt add up to the total specified. A lot of boaters who come south get confused by these rules and get caught out. They are not a 'do not return to moorings within one year' rule as some like Bustens seem to envisage!

Edited by fender.

Common sense: beliefs or propositions that seem, to most people, to be prudent and of sound judgment, without dependence upon esoteric knowledge. (Wikipedia)

So, of course, not everyone will agree but "most people" will. (You can't please all of the people all of the time...!)

Common sense: beliefs or propositions that seem, to most people, to be prudent and of sound judgment, without dependence upon esoteric knowledge. (Wikipedia)

So, of course, not everyone will agree but "most people" will. (You can't please all of the people all of the time...!)

Common sense is sometimes regarded as an impediment to abstract and even logical thinking. This is especially the case in mathematics and physics, where human intuition often conflicts with provably correct or experimentally verified results. A definition attributed to Albert Einstein states: "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Common sense is sometimes appealed to in political debates, particularly when other arguments have been exhausted. Civil rights for African Americans, women's suffrage, and homosexuality to name just a few have all been attacked as being contrary to common sense. Similarly, common sense has been invoked in opposition to many scientific and technological advancements. Such misuse of the notion of common sense is fallacious, being a form of the argumentum ad populum (appeal to the masses) fallacy.

Also:-

The Cyc project is an attempt to provide a basis of commonsense knowledge for artificial intelligence systems. The Open Mind Common Sense project is similar except, like other on-line collaborative projects like Wikipædia, was built from the contributions of thousands of individuals across the Web.

I too write for Wikipædia.

Edited by Maffi