Grand Union?

Circe

Featured Posts

We've finally been given respite dates for this summer, so we're looking to book our annual 'chug down a canal or two'. Last year we did very little canal but had a great time on the Avon.

This year we wondered about the GU/Regent's. I'm looking at hiring from Wyvern Shipping so we can do the touristy thing in Little Venice at the halfway point to keep the kids amused. It also means that we can collect my dad (who loves all things boat) and give him a few days away.

We have 10 days :cheers: so this is a bit of a novelty for us. Know next to nothing about the GU, although I know bits of the Regent's from the towpath.

Any thoughts? I know it'll be busy, but it's just nice to get away!

Good choice of where to go and should not find it that busy once you get off the Tring summit

Pubs a plenty (link to guide below and any feedback so the guiide keeps up to adte welcome) and remember at Berkhamsted there is a Waitrose right next to the cut for general goodies and treats !

Pubs a plenty (link to guide below and any feedback so the guiide keeps up to adte welcome) and remember at Berkhamsted there is a Waitrose right next to the cut for general goodies and treats !

Beer and food and chugging along.

What more could anyone wish for?

:D

And a Tesco with a mooring at Ricky, with the White Bear pub opposite.

Stop off first at Cassio Park for a wander around and at Ricky Lido.

Don't bother with the Slough Arm.

There's another Tesco at Bulls Bridge.

Edited by canaldrifter

Supermarkets galore! I could get to like this.

Will mooring be a nightmare in Little Venice?

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't know what the board rules are for recommending (or not) companies - Wyvern looks ok. Are they a solid bet?

That's a perfectly possible trip, (Leighton to Little Venice and back), in the time you have, but it depends how much time you want to spend boating, and how much space you want to keep for the "Keep the kids happy" bit once in London.

The round trip is 108 miles and 126 locks, all doubles, of course.

Whilst we like to press on, and would probably complete the boating bit in around 8 days, if your 10 days include your start day, and your finish day, (when I think they will want the boat back by 10:00 ??), then you actually have less than 9 days in practice.

That will not leave you much London visiting time, unless you have manic boating days other days.

How old and strong are your children ? Some Grand Union locks are quite hard work, and quite a few lower down are 9 feet, or more fall, including Denham Deep at 11 feet-ish.

There are lots more big canalside supermarkets that Tone has not mentioned, including a Tesco at Leighton itself, Waitrose in Berkhamsted, Sainsburys at Apsley, and again at Alperton. There are smaller stores for Tesco & Sainsburys easy walking of Little Venice & Paddington.

At busy times, you can struggle to find a mooring at LV / Paddington, and might need to go alongside boats already in residence.

EDITED to answer your subsequent question....

Wyvern are a very long established family firm, and rock solid.

I worked for them back in the 1970s, when it was run with military precision by a retired army Major.

One of his sons now runs it, and operations are a bit more relaxed these days, but the boats are well turned out. Not a great issue, but some of the boats on the fleet are very old by hire boat standards - some still have wooden cabins - almost unheard of now. They are still smart, but if it matters to you that it is a fairly new boat, don't be afraid to ask them.

The newest even have bow-thrusters, which can look quite frightening in the hands of the totally inexperienced!

Edited by alan_fincher

We rather like long days boating - we don't have the chance to do it nearly as often as we'd like.

The two children we'll have with us will be 14 and nearly 9. In fact, the timing works out so our daughter will have her birthday in London - which is pretty cool for a teenager!

24 hours in London is fine. If we can stretch it to fractionally longer, that would be lovely, but it's not essential by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks very much for telling me about the company. That really has put my mind at rest. Bow thrusters sound a little scary... I'm sure I'd crash!

Edited by Circe

We rather like long days boating - we don't have the chance to do it nearly as often as we'd like.

The two children we'll have with us will be 14 and nearly 9. In fact, the timing works out so our daughter will have her birthday in London - which is pretty cool for a teenager!

24 hours in London is fine. If we can stretch it to fractionally longer, that would be lovely, but it's not essential by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks very much for telling me about the company. That really has put my mind at rest. Bow thrusters sound a little scary... I'm sure I'd crash!

If you put in long days, and are experienced, you'll do it fine.

It's often possible to get along quite quickly, and the lower reaches and the Paddington arm are deep enough for the full 4 mph, (if Wyvern haven't wound in the engine end-stop!....)

A word of warning though, is that we often find coming back "uphill" from London to Tring summit we get more hold ups - a lot of the locks have had gate paddles removed, so fill relatively slowly, and you can get stuck behind people who are not prepared to use that do exist, it can slow you down.

I only mention this because with a hire boat, you need to allow more than half the cruising time for the return trip, if you want to ensure you don't run out of time.

You lot are brilliant. Thanks.

I've checked the calendar at Lords, and I am very disappointed to say that there is nothing going on there while we will be in Little Venice. :(

As for what to do in London, an awful lot depends on timing on the first day - we are at the mercy of disability services here. If we can persuade them to take our disabled boy for his summer break first thing in the morning, we can be on the water and moving by 1-2pm and I would hope to be somewhere near Marsworth for the night - 5 hours cruising according to Pearson.

Is the Marsworth pub on the Pearson Guide any good? And by "good," I mean will it be good enough for my Geordie father-in-law who regards everything South of Barnsley as suspicious?

I'd be happy to get past Hemel Hepstead on the second day, ecstatic if I could get past Apsley. I know that Circe's dad & I would have endless fun manning the boat for 11 hours and 29 locks in a day, but it really depends on other factors, doesn't it? Pearson reckons it would take about 9 hours, CanalPlan reckons about 11 hours.

If we can maintain that pace (and you are the experts, so I'm counting on you to let me know what you think. For references, I can claim to have covered Bidford on Avon to Tewkesbury in a day and a half.) we can be past Uxbridge by the end of the third day. Not that I would need to make that sort of pace, because Little Venice is only six hours away from Uxbridge...

To be honest, we're happy travelling when it's time to travel. Circe's dad & I will be as happy as pigs in muck, I know that Circe will be happy in the well deck with her G&T and books, and our kids would be happy with their selection of books, videos and computer games.

Can't wait. Want to set off NOW.

I've checked the calendar at Lords, and I am very disappointed to say that there is nothing going on there while we will be in Little Venice. :(

As for what to do in London, an awful lot depends on timing on the first day - we are at the mercy of disability services here. If we can persuade them to take our disabled boy for his summer break first thing in the morning, we can be on the water and moving by 1-2pm and I would hope to be somewhere near Marsworth for the night - 5 hours cruising according to Pearson.

Is the Marsworth pub on the Pearson Guide any good? And by "good," I mean will it be good enough for my Geordie father-in-law who regards everything South of Barnsley as suspicious?

I'd be happy to get past Hemel Hepstead on the second day, ecstatic if I could get past Apsley. I know that Circe's dad & I would have endless fun manning the boat for 11 hours and 29 locks in a day, but it really depends on other factors, doesn't it? Pearson reckons it would take about 9 hours, CanalPlan reckons about 11 hours.

If we can maintain that pace (and you are the experts, so I'm counting on you to let me know what you think. For references, I can claim to have covered Bidford on Avon to Tewkesbury in a day and a half.) we can be past Uxbridge by the end of the third day. Not that I would need to make that sort of pace, because Little Venice is only six hours away from Uxbridge...

To be honest, we're happy travelling when it's time to travel. Circe's dad & I will be as happy as pigs in muck, I know that Circe will be happy in the well deck with her G&T and books, and our kids would be happy with their selection of books, videos and computer games.

Personally I think the best pub at Marsworth is the Red Lion (nice old building, good real ales an nice folk whenever we've been there), the Anglers is also an ok locals pub but can appear a little cliquey on occasion. Not so keen on the White Lion personally.

You should get down to Hemel/Apsley or beyond from there if your happy to put in a long day, we cruised our widebeam from Cooks Wharf to Langleybury in a long day last summer when we had to get there to meet someone, the wide boat takes a little longer through the locks so Im sure you'll be fine. Decent pubs down that way are a little thin on the ground mind. There's a nice new Indian at Apsley marina if your that way inclined.

Enjoy the trip

Edited by Lesd

Marsworth to Apsley is possible done it a few times single handed so you should be ok

Personally I think the best pub at Marsworth is the Red Lion (nice old building, good real ales an nice folk whenever we've been there), the Anglers is also an ok locals pub but can appear a little cliquey on occasion. Not so keen on the White Lion personally.

You should get down to Hemel/Apsley or beyond from there if your happy to put in a long day, we cruised our widebeam from Cooks Wharf to Langleybury in a long day last summer when we had to get there to meet someone, the wide boat takes a little longer through the locks so Im sure you'll be fine. Decent pubs down that way are a little thin on the ground mind. There's a nice new Indian at Apsley marina if your that way inclined.

Enjoy the trip

Didn't someone post recently that the White Lion had closed?

Didn't someone post recently that the White Lion had closed?

Yes,

It is definitely closed at the moment.

I think the Red Lion is the best, personally - certainly for quality of the beer!

Incidentally, I was surprised to learn that a proper footpath has been completed alongside the whole road from Cooks Wharf into Cheddington. Anyone prepared to walk the half mile or so to the Old Swan in Cheddington can now do so safely. This is now or "local", and I think it worth the walk.

The Indian at Apsley has been mentioned - The pizzaria there is also very good, we think.

Edited by alan_fincher

Wyvern very good choice, in my opinion just about the best turned out fleet on the cut.

About twenty years ago I did the "Thames Loop" in 12 days. SWMBO never let me forget how I, as chief "slave driver" only stopped at Hampton Court for three hours but managed to get 36 hours in Windsor (Very severe hangover after a very late "lock in"). That loop really needs three weeks to be comfortable.

As for your trip, my advise to you is to take your time on the way out, don't be tempted to cruise for extra long hours to get somewhere without compensating with less hours on subsequent days. If you do not reach your intended destination by the middle of your hire term turn and go back, this way you will not have the worry and stress of getting back to Linslade on time.

BTW I moor at Wyvern's base at the 'orchard' where you will park your car, (You'll recoginise "Peppers Paw" as the scruffiest boat there) If you see activity, come and say hello.

Edited for Typo

Edited by Radiomariner

what are the dates? If you are heading South you should let us know when you will be coming through, then we can look out for you to wave/ shout encouragement/ etc.

Cheers

Cath

We're setting off on 12th August and back 10 days later. Would be lovely to see people in real life as well as virtually!

BTW I moor at Wyvern's base at the 'orchard' where you will park your car, (You'll recoginise "Peppers Paw" as the scruffiest boat there) If you see activity, come and say hello.

Thanks for the advice, and will do :)

Going to book today. Hopefully we'll have a summer holiday by tonight :D