Aquapoise Props

Featured Posts

Evening all,

After our recent discussion,I now know I want a 17 x 10 or 17 x 11 prop.

I have a standard 1.5" stern tube with greaser, nowt fancy, and someone suggested I get an aquapoise prop, as it wont make a whining sound as much when running on tickover.

Something to do with a thinner blade edge.....

Is this right or should I go for the standdard prop, or is this a standard prop? Im all confused by it.

Evening all,

I have a standard 1.5" stern tube with greaser, nowt fancy, and someone suggested I get an aquapoise prop, as it wont make a whining sound as much when running on tickover.

Is this right or should I go for the standdard prop, or is this a standard prop? Im all confused by it.

Frankie what you want to do is listen to the people who spend the time and effort to reply to all your questions, when you start listening you will find all the answers are already there for you. Go back and look how many times you have asked the same question For example in this post about propellers.... go out and do us all a favour and buy yourself a Crowthers prop.

I expect I'm going to get a load of shxte from this post, I will help any one, any where but Frankieboy you just don't listen mate.

But fear not I am Open All Hours

Off Topic

Just where exactly do you buy the popcorn from on here ?

• Greenie 3

Evening all,

Equipoise props are normally fitted to high revving outboards and outdrives. Turbine props are usually fitted to narrowboats. I have never heard of anyone complaining of a whining sound at low revs with any type of prop. A thinner blade edge is likely to suffer from much more impact damage than a more robust turbine prop.

Frankie

I have a 'bog standard' prop (Midland Chandlers) it does not make a noise at tick-over, it makes hardly any wash even at cruising speed.

The boat goes forward and backwards if I need it to, forward planning means I very rarely use reverse (astern) in anger.

An aside...... I see there is another miracle prop on the market that is claiming it can stop your boat quicker.

Equipoise props are normally fitted to high revving outboards and outdrives. Turbine props are usually fitted to narrowboats. I have never heard of anyone complaining of a whining sound at low revs with any type of prop. A thinner blade edge is likely to suffer from much more impact damage than a more robust turbine prop.

Surely the shape doesn't determine the blade thickness, and either type can be made light or heavy duty?

Tim

Thanks all for you reply, Ill go for a standard one.

Ark Right, Im sorry if it seems a bit repetitive, but bear in mind that once the boats in the water, the prop is on for good. When someone suggests something that I have not heard of then surely it makes sense to ask further info rather than just going on what they say.

In this case it seems that an Equipoise prop wasnt for me so I was misinformed.

If it makes you feel better, I'll go buy a prop today and then you can have some peace.

Thrust bearing should be ok, its all new and hasnt run yet.

Was only responding as someone had said about equipoise removing a small whining sound. It seems after all its irrelevant. I'll prob not know of any issues such as that till its on the water, but was just looking into what this equipoise prop was as someone had sung its praises.

Thanks all for you reply, Ill go for a standard one.

Ark Right, Im sorry if it seems a bit repetitive, but bear in mind that once the boats in the water, the prop is on for good. When someone suggests something that I have not heard of then surely it makes sense to ask further info rather than just going on what they say.

In this case it seems that an Equipoise prop wasnt for me so I was misinformed.

If it makes you feel better, I'll go buy a prop today and then you can have some peace.

You may be confusing different bits of advice.

Some props do 'sing', not especially at tickover though. This is sometimes solved by 'sharpening' the blade edge, but this is generally AIUI more beneficial on the trailing edge which is only vulnerable when going astern.

I've no idea whether equipoise props are more or less prone to 'singing' than the standard 'Turbine' type. What they do generally have is a slightly larger blade area, so you may be able to use a slightly smaller diameter which can be an advantage with some installations.

There are other shapes as well, before even thinking about novel types such as Axiom, but all are likely to be more expensive than the basic turbine.

Tim

You may be confusing different bits of advice.

Some props do 'sing', not especially at tickover though. This is sometimes solved by 'sharpening' the blade edge, but this is generally AIUI more beneficial on the trailing edge which is only vulnerable when going astern.

I've no idea whether equipoise props are more or less prone to 'singing' than the standard 'Turbine' type. What they do generally have is a slightly larger blade area, so you may be able to use a slightly smaller diameter which can be an advantage with some installations.

There are other shapes as well, before even thinking about novel types such as Axiom, but all are likely to be more expensive than the basic turbine.

Tim

They do indeed. Usually this is slightly above tickover and sounds like grit in a bearing (scratchy sort of sound). Slight alteration of the revs up or down usually stop it. It can be a bit irritating as sod's law dictates that it will happen at exactly the revs you wish to cruise at. I've been involved in grinding prop blades to cure it but, other than knowing where and how to grind, it still is a bit hit and miss, like a lot to do with props. Jooren (Dutch) props, from whom I sourced Phoenix's 24 x 17, come ready ground to prevent singing.

Roger