Where are we?

Allie

Featured Posts

Mike do you just know everything?

Well I may know something about the canal network...

Is that Pressie in the picture?

...but Pressie?? You've lost me again!

Anyway its time for a new picture, I think. If I get time I will try to find one and start a new thread as this one is becoming a bit long - but if anyone else has one in the meantime....

Cheers

Mike

Very good :P

How'd you know? :D Not many people know of this place.

Sorry :D

Whilst following the canals on Google earth round our local area a couple of days ago , found this location and was suprised as we didn't know it was there!

Pure fluke I'm afraid not down to skill or knowledge :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Indeed.

It is on the Dudley no.2 canal.. which at the moment past Ghosty (however you spell it) tunnel and Hawne Basin is a dead end however the Lapal Canal trust are slowly restoring it.. hopefully one day to connect up with the brum and worcs canal up a bit from cadbury world..

Sam

In fact Sainsbury's are going to re-create the junction at the Worc and Brum for the Dudley No. 2!

Good news

:rolleyes:

That is good news, would that mean Sainsbury's pay to set up the junction and short stretch from the W&B, the eventual clearance of Lappal tunnel to be pursued later? Excellent start, if they do it all so much the better.

Tip to early season cruisers on the Dudley no.2, Hawne Basin and its environs feed water into the system so all the debris and weed build up inside the tunnel and lay in wait for the unwary. A trip in March 1988 on a hired Super Brumtug saw firstly destruction of the chimney on the boatman's cabin as the roof dips significantly just inside the tunnel and secondly lost power soon after as weed/debris clogged the prop. Legged the boat through to Hawne Basin end, emerged pushing a huge column of weed and rubbish.

Despite this, the residents of Hawne Basin were very welcoming and pleased to see boats visiting this remote corner of the system, got a fill of water and away before the tunnel refilled itself with rubbish.

Good luck to those who are planning the re-opening to the Worcester & Birmingham,

Neil

The Lapal tunnel will be stupidly hard to do and it isn't all that likely that it will happen to be honest.

Why go down to Hawne Basin :rolleyes: .. not much to see apart from Phill and his pumpout :P

But Ghosty hill tunnel is always full of rubbish so it isn't very wise to head down there.. we know people who have got stuck because a tyre has been wedge between the boat and the side of the tunnel (bearing in mind the tunnel has hardly any clearance.. maybe at a gues 1/2 foot each side or less.

We normally always have someone in the bows with a torch / directing the spot light to make sure there is nothing blocking our path.. as it is we sometimes have engine troubles because of things getting caught in the prop.

Sam

The Lapal tunnel will be stupidly hard to do and it isn't all that likely that it will happen to be honest.

Why go down to Hawne Basin :rolleyes: ..

Sam

Because it's there, as the mountaineers say. Standedge tunnel used to be an impossible dream for decades, now open to all, let's keep that campaigning spirit going for these inner ring routes to offer variety to future canal cruisers et al.

The campaign for re-opening Northern BCN routes headed by David Suchet is a current example of a plan to put existing BCN Northern backwaters into mainstream use as new (ring) routes for boaters / hirers (and of course anglers, pedestrians & cyclists), the Bentley Canal from Western Wyrley & Essington down towards Tame valley has gone for ever in recent years, lost to a housing and retail development which could easily have seen, and benefited, from the revamped canal. Once it's gone it won't come back.

Have seen so many canal and railway restorations come to fruition seemingly from the dead over the last 40 years I just refuse to believe that Lappal tunnel, albeit modified as necessary, cannot be restored to use.

nil desperandum,

Neil

I know you have 10Mb at Uni but think of those on dial-up and I couldn't get the whole photo on my screen. :angry

Yeah, it might possably be a little big. (as you say, i have a 10mb conection, and big high res tft, so barely notice)

- However its only fractional bigger to download than Allies pictures.

- As her's is 157mb, and mine is only 179mb (22mb, or 14% more)

Got one at last! Worsley on the Bridgewater. The colour of the water was a good clue
Yeah! its a bit ORANGE!!

- I thought it was topical, as there currently trying to flatten in for houses, and as we had a our bottom done there again only just over a year ago.

- Lovly place, great faciltys, and the whole lots grade2 listed buildings (or atleast i know that the drydocks are)

Daniel

The colour of the cut is because of the ocre or something, coming out of the mines just down the cut. The cut around Harecastle is the same, but it's coming from the tunnels.

There was something about them trying to knock the buildings down or something, for new houses..

DEVELOPERS have their sights on another boatyard, but this time British Waterways are not involved as the boatyard is on the Bridgewater Canal, out of its jurisdiction, Alan Tilbury relates. The planned development is at Worsley on the Bridgewater Canal, which is famous for the underground mines that were accessed by the canal at Delph. This time however the developers will have a fight on their hands, for not only is the boatyard in a conservation area but it is also Grade II listed. In addition the area is very much an up-market secluded village, and the residents are certainly going to object to another 200 odd homes on their doorsteps. The boatyard at Worsley on the Bridgewater

The developer, Dain Properties, who is hoping to build the homes on the site of the boatyard by Bridge 51 at Worsley, is to stage an exhibition in the village to promote its scheme it was announced on Tuesday, 30th January, and which is now open. The plans will go before Salford's planning committee towards the end of the month, with the council already having identified the area as suitable for housing. In addition to being a conservation area, there are a number of listed buildings nearby, with the boatyard and dry docks both being Grade II listed, the destroying of which would cause further controversy. But extols Andy Frost of the property company Knight Frank: "The scheme takes advantage of its waterfront location while fully respecting the setting of the adjacent conservation area and a number of listed buildings in the vicinity. "We believe the development will benefit the local community."

Copyright © Narrowboatworld

Crikey Allie - this is getting a bit more difficult. No locks, tunnels, basins - just a bend, a 14ft wide aqueduct a lane and some trees......

....That must be the Leeds and Liverpool Canal then, at some very obscure bend at Adlington near Chorley. The boat in the top right is called "Me and Er" and the date was 1-July-2003.

Well Ok I made some of that up but prove me wrong :rolleyes:

Mike