I've bought another old diesel engine...

casper ghost

Featured Posts

I must stop buying these old engines, but I liked this one and I can add it to my list of jobs to do before i DIE..

It's serial number is DE13477.

I don't know much about these, though there was a 45 foot boat for sale on Apollo Duck with the same in?

I know it's pretty heavy. I'll tart it up and play with it, maybe one day it'll go into a short tug?

Anyone know any information on these, or a manual? It's missing an exhaust and the air filter pipe, but I can make these.

Casp'

brass062.jpg

brass064.jpg

I must stop buying these old engines, but I liked this one and I can add it to my list of jobs to do before i DIE..

I don't know much about these, though there was a 45 foot boat for sale on Apollo Duck with the same in?

I know it's pretty heavy. I'll tart it up and play with it, maybe one day it'll go into a short tug?

Anyone know any information on these, or a manual? It's missing an exhaust and the air filter pipe, but I can make these.

Casp'

Good reliable engines. Not the easiest when it comes to hand starting.

A few were fitted into working Narrow Boats as replacements (AIUI) for 9hp Bolinders but they weren't really up to the job, the 2-cyl was much more successful.

Hard to tell from your pics, but that might be a very early engine which had a one-piece cylinder and head (eugh!)

Gearbox on the single was a Parsons D type.

Tim

I've got the 2 Cylinder in Dove. Also so got the manual on disc. If you want a copy let me know. Only hand start on very hot summers day.

Watch out for the starter motor, they melt! just cost me £165 to repair.

Andrew

I've got the 2 Cylinder in Dove. Also so got the manual on disc. If you want a copy let me know. Only hand start on very hot summers day.

Watch out for the starter motor, they melt! just cost me £165 to repair.

Andrew

Hello Andrew.

I would certainly love a copy of the manual..

The engine is only hand stsrt, and it started ok today, but I had to swing it a few times. If I put it into a boat i'd fit a starter motor, but probably cheat like I did on the Ruston and fit a car flywheel and starter to suitonto the drive shaft. It started better with the hand start than my Sabb did, that was a pig to hand start from cold! but started straight away with the starter.

Gary

You dont hang around!!!!

No point hanging around...

Not that much fun setting off at 6:30am to drive to Cardiff, 3 hours each way... At least the trailer made it back this time...

The chap selling it said he scrapped a twin Sabb with gearbox recently as he couldn't find a buyer for it :( .

He had this Armstrong Siddeley connected to a 80 Kw generator but was after a bigger engine, I can't imagine why :lol:

I do know that Petter made some Armstrong Siddeley engines for a while at Staines. They're featured in "Vintage Marine Engines for Narrowboats"

Mike

The last 'Armstrongs' made were actually rebadged Petters, AIUI as an attempt to maintain established export dealerships.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

We have recently rebuilt a clutch of AS1 and 2's. There is a gearbox left over for a single if you are interested though it will need a little work. The fuel pumps are becoming a little difficult to source but Peter Slater at Scunthorpe should be able to help.I have two complete AS2 engines without gearboxes for sale without boxes though I can suppply Parsons boxes to suit. Workshop manuals are available from vintagefarmbooks.com. Regards, HughC.

No point hanging around...

Not that much fun setting off at 6:30am to drive to Cardiff, 3 hours each way... At least the trailer made it back this time...

The chap selling it said he scrapped a twin Sabb with gearbox recently as he couldn't find a buyer for it :( .

He had this Armstrong Siddeley connected to a 80 Kw generator but was after a bigger engine, I can't imagine why :lol:

Looks like a nice little engine, but it's hard to believe that it could drive an 80Kw generator, as that would need someting of more then 100Hp.

Peter.

Hi. 2 more close up pictures on the top.

brass065.jpg

brass068.jpg

We have another job to do on it now, while lifting it, as there is no lifting ring we put a hook around the fairly substantial diesel tank bracket, but when the lift took the weight the hook twisted and pieced the tank with a nice little hole :( . I'll probably have to mig weld it and my mig-ing is poor.. I won't do that again..

Casp'

Hi. 2 more close up pictures on the top.

brass065.jpg

brass068.jpg

We have another job to do on it now, while lifting it, as there is no lifting ring we put a hook around the fairly substantial diesel tank bracket, but when the lift took the weight the hook twisted and pieced the tank with a nice little hole :( . I'll probably have to mig weld it and my mig-ing is poor.. I won't do that again..

Casp'

Yes that seems to be the early one-piece head and cylinder. Never seen one in the flesh, don't know whether the rating was the same (9/11 bhp IIRC) as the later more common AS1.

Tim

Thanks Tim.

On the engine plate it says 8hp at 1200 rpm.

Any idea of it's age then?

I did an article for WW on Armstrongs some years ago & did some research on this, but don't have a copy to hand and can't remember for sure. I think it was about 1948 they were first introduced.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Casp'

brass062.jpg

brass064.jpg

Nice one Casp

They have a twin cylinder in bits at Norbury but Dave there wants it but l think l saw another in their container with some old Listers,Gardner parts etc--

Might be picking your brains on my CE2 when it comes to starter motor at least it has 2 flywheels so can use either end :blush:

I did an article for WW on Armstrongs some years ago & did some research on this, but don't have a copy to hand and can't remember for sure. I think it was about 1948 they were first introduced.

Tim

Hi.

I've just read that article from an old issue (February 2005). It says they started production in 1945.

Would you like an AS3 to go with it? Ex crane engine so no gearbox. Good runner (I think).

Must resist!!

Nice one Casp

They have a twin cylinder in bits at Norbury but Dave there wants it but l think l saw another in their container with some old Listers,Gardner parts etc--

Might be picking your brains on my CE2 when it comes to starter motor at least it has 2 flywheels so can use either end :blush:

I take it it's the same engine that Dave has in his working boat?

I beleive the CE2 is basically the same engine as my Ruston. My starter motor still needs sorting as it's a bit hit and miss as far as alignment goes.. A much stronger bracket is called for!

Gary

Hi.

I've just read that article from an old issue (February 2005). It says they started production in 1945.

Strange, my starter motor is dated 1944. Unless it's come off another engine.

Andrew

Strange, my starter motor is dated 1944. Unless it's come off another engine.

Andrew

The starter could easily have been made for stock, before the engine was built. They're not special to the engine.

Alternatively the original could have been service exchanged for another which happened to have an older core.

What sort of starter is it? The original standard Lucas type fitted on the twin was cr*p, not man enough for the job. The CAV CA45 supplied for the 3-cyl is far superior, and an easy mod for a twin. CAV BS5 starters were also sometimes seen, possibly before the CA45 became available.

I don't know when Parsons started marinising the engines, but it seems to me a fair bet that they wouldn't do it until the engine was established as a reliable unit.

Pete Harrison can probably provide dates for when Waterways started to fit them, I think it was some time in the 1950s, and even then they found the early units with D type boxes wouldn't cope with canal work, with it's frequent reversing (and possible rough handling by some boatmen), so they upgraded to the F type box.

Tim

Casper,your incorrigable, where in hells name do you store this ironmongery?

This one is now esconsed in my parent's garage, they are away so haven't seen it yet. Not sure they will be too happy. I have alot of junk quality old stuff stored around their house. Oddly enough I don't have any stuff at my place... :blush:

Casp