Boxing in engine

stuart

Featured Posts

Stuart.

That would be an interesting project, with a little thought it would be possible to make the 4 or 5 sides in such a way that there are no fasteners required to hold it all together. With a keel cooled engine there are few issues with ventilation but the alternator cooling will need a little thought.

I have built a similar engine enclosure though in a trad engine room, I used 1/2" ply with rubber carpet underlay glued to all internal surfaces, plenty of indirect ventilation, I think you will get a massive reduction in noise levels but will the trouble of removing the extra panels for engine access be worthwhile.

I think you will get a massive reduction in noise levels but will the trouble of removing the extra panels for engine access be worthwhile.

I suppose that if a lift up lid was fitted on it to get access to the dipstick/water then its probably not that pain.

It may also give an area to stand on rather than standing on the engine!!

The whole box would need to be removable and probably triangular shaped to follow the swim plates, so that servicing could be done etc.

Need to keep an eye on the alternator cooling as you said, are just vent holes sufficient (obviously they will let the noise out as well!)

I could fit a couple of those small fans I brought for 49pence each!!

Engine picture...

827629160449ad286d8f66f8724591cbd2cbbbcc617a955ef48e2782.jpg

Edited by stuart

I suppose that if a lift up lid was fitted on it to get access to the dipstick/water then its probably not that pain.

It may also give an area to stand on rather than standing on the engine!!

The whole box would need to be removable and probably triangular shaped to follow the swim plates, so that servicing could be done etc.

Need to keep an eye on the alternator cooling as you said, are just vent holes sufficient (obviously they will let the noise out as well!)

I could fit a couple of those small fans I brought for 49pence each!!

Engine picture...

Stuart.

Looking at the very neat engine installation I think it would lend itself to what you propose with little more than as you say a triangular lid. The ventilation to some extent looks after itself in that large amounts of air are drawn into the compartment by the aspiration of the engine, it is just a matter of encouraging most of the flow to pass by the alternator, make the flow into the enclosure indirect and very little noise will escape.

Stuart, if I had an injin'ole like that I'd want a glass or perspex cover so that everyone could admire it, I certainly wouldn't want to hide it in a box!

Have you not got around to cleaning yours then!?!? :)

Rather than go to the trouble of fitting a box around the engine, with the attendant troubles of having to ensure that it is easily removed for maintenance and providing for air flow, why not line the underside of the deck boards with soundproofing material. I'm sure that other forum members will have suggestions for particular materials and sources. If the engine hole bulkhead is not lined internally with soundproofing material you could also line the bulkhead on the engine hole side.

Nah, that was about 4 weeks old - looks better than that now as its had a repaint!

Still say I'd want a perspex deck :)

If the Engine Hole bulkhead is not lined internally with soundproofing material you could also line the bulkhead on the Engine Hole side.

Posh bugger from that London eh?

Stu an' me in the Black Country un got injin'oles :D

Have just bought a drill pump off ebay so I can finally get rid of all that crud out of mine :D

Rather than go to the trouble of fitting a box around the engine, with the attendant troubles of having to ensure that it is easily removed for maintenance and providing for air flow, why not line the underside of the deck boards with soundproofing material. I'm sure that other forum members will have suggestions for particular materials and sources. If the engine hole bulkhead is not lined internally with soundproofing material you could also line the bulkhead on the engine hole side.

Admittedly my engine is pretty quiet ayway - but a couple of years ago I had to get new deck boards so I had the underside of the new ones lined with the best soundproofing, and was surprised to find it made hardly any difference at all to the noise level.

Allan

Admittedly my engine is pretty quiet ayway - but a couple of years ago I had to get new deck boards so I had the underside of the new ones lined with the best soundproofing, and was surprised to find it made hardly any difference at all to the noise level.

Allan

could you not fit a couple of electric cooling fans to the enclosure that come on when necessary?

Allan

Allan I am amazed that soundproofing under your deck boards made no difference to your engine noise.This is exactly opposite to our experience. We lined the boards with thin sound insulation so that the boards sat on the insulation at the edges.We further lined under the whole of the steel deck. The result was way above our expectations,the engine noise being much reduced.So much so that we can now hear the exhaust which we could not hear before!! Before boxing in the engine I suggest buying a simple engine accoustic blanket from Noise-killer.co.uk. This seems a simple solution and must make at least some difference... Billy

In my ignorance, I would expect that sound insulation would be more effective when applied to a metal surface.

Wood must have a built in sound absorbance it is a relatively soft material compared to metal.

As Billy descibes the best place to start insulating would be the metal work especially under the deck.

Then move on to the vertical sufaces