Stove Flue Guard

WJM

Featured Posts

I have tried eBay and Google and cant find anything...

My lovely shiny flue looks lovely as it curls its way up from the stove to the roof - but I am tiring of having people burn themselves on it when the accidentally brush against it! I have seen on other boats a guard to make the flue safer. It looks like a piece of curved metal with perforations mounted on the flue a couple of inches above the flue surface. I guess it will get hot too but nothing like as hot as the flue, so an accidental touch will not be so dangerous.

Has anyone got any idea where to get one of these from?

My lovely shiny flue looks lovely as it curls its way up from the stove to the roof - but I am tiring of having people burn themselves on it when the accidentally brush against it! I have seen on other boats a guard to make the flue safer. It looks like a piece of curved metal with perforations mounted on the flue a couple of inches above the flue surface. I guess it will get hot too but nothing like as hot as the flue, so an accidental touch will not be so dangerous.

Refleks make perforated stainless steel flue guards. I've had a quick google but I could only find these on the Norwegian site. However, if you give Michael a ring at Lockgate (01332 799 317) he may be able to help.

Not helpful, I know, but why not just let the learning process take its course? (I patched up my melted jacket sleeve with duck tape) :)

"Not helpful, I know, but why not just let the learning process take its course? (I patched up my melted jacket sleeve with duck tape)"

LOL - I think it is the scar on my daughter's arm that makes me feel bad. She may have learned not to touch it ever again but the scar will never go away!

Owl, thanks - I will try Lockgate.

Try looking on sites that do gear for Trucks, some years ago I got 2 off guards for the vertical exhausts on american tractor unit I was refurbishing [ somewhere in the Oxford area IIRC]

The perforated shields KK mentioned might by specific to smaller diameter flues used on oils stoves but it's worth a try.

Have you also considered trying a commercial vehicle specialst as similar things can be seen occaisionally of large vehicle exhausts?

Another option might be to have one custom made at a sheet metal workshop.

It might not look too nice but if you need a quick fix you could wrap it with the "asbestos" (type) tape used on exposed exhausts. I'd guess that most times the flue is touched accidentally it is in more or less the same area ie at arm height not near the top.

I am sure that you could make one yourself if you wished and didnt mind mild steel. I think that stainless would be a pain to drill. bend it around something roundish and then use very large hose clamps to hold it in place. Shims/brackets made out of steel could keep the guard away from the flue. I should not lake more than a day, even with my cludging.

If you were artistic you could even drill the holes in a pattern?

Tim

I definitely don't have a day to spend making a bad version of what an expert would make in an hour! :-)

I think part of the function of the shiny silver flue with a kink is to cause as much heat from the chimney to release into the boat before it escapes out the roof. An asbestos bandage would go against that. Actually I suspect this metal guard that I am looking for might actually conduct and radiate more heat into the boat than the bare flue.

I have contacted Lockgate, just waiting for a response now. Then I will try the Big Daddy 10-4 Trucker Emporium. They might have something with a Texan Eagle on it - nice!

Thats a bit defeatist!

I have contacted Lockgate, just waiting for a response now. Then I will try the Big Daddy 10-4 Trucker Emporium. They might have something with a Texan Eagle on it - nice!

Or maybe a wolf gazing at a moon, you could buy a t-shirt to go with it.

712sWdE2OTL._SL1309_.jpg

Check out the reviews here clicky

link to what this is all about

My lovely shiny flue looks lovely as it curls its way up from the stove to the roof -

Have you used a liner & not an enamelled solid pipe?

You would still need a shield on the correct type of pipe but at least it will be strong enough to mount the shield on.