Yippe! we've got a mooring

davewally

Featured Posts

Top of the flight at Devizes.

Looking for about 60 foot, cruiser stern so modernish.

Our ideal spec seems to include solid fuel stove, diesel central heating and undecided on toilet (don't start on that I haven't any popcorn).

Two berth, side doors and lots of batteries. I have about 200W worth of solar panels under my desk at work and will work out a charging system using them.

Our (Heathers) one luxury may be a washing machine (space permitting) but not sure about that yet.

Dave

Top of the flight at Devizes.

Looking for about 60 foot, cruiser stern so modernish.

Our ideal spec seems to include solid fuel stove, diesel central heating and undecided on toilet (don't start on that I haven't any popcorn).

Two berth, side doors and lots of batteries. I have about 200W worth of solar panels under my desk at work and will work out a charging system using them.

Our (Heathers) one luxury may be a washing machine (space permitting) but not sure about that yet.

Dave

How about this then

Congratulations. We "won" our mooring on the Stort back at the beginning of November. We found a boat about a week later, after about 6 months of serious looking. We still havnae signed on the line yet - waiting for survey and then the festive period has really held things up, but we are hoping to be officially boaty in the next couple of weeks. You probably know this already, but when it comes to buying a used boat, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince(ss). Good luck!

Edited by PiRSqwared

Why, oh why, OH WHY ? :banghead:

It is however a very nice boat - a bit too modern inside for my tastes but nice none the less.

Personally I wouldn't dismiss a used boat just because somebodies spent a bit of time during the build tacking washers to the hull and the bow is not the worst example I've seen.

1161-02.jpg

Wouldn't have them on a boat I was having built though I agree.

Edited by MJG

We now seem to have a boat also.

Verbal offer has been accepted.

It is suddenly all happening very suddenly.

We now need to do the paperwork and organise a survey.

Now a couple of questions.

Since and can't get enough time off work at the moment we are considering moving the boat on a lorry.

Does anyone have an idea of price to go from Alvechurch to somewhere on the K & A? and who might do it.

Since the blacking was last done in 2008 we are thinking having it done whilst the boat is out.

So does anyone have reccommendations of where on the K & A we could have it craned in and blacked at the same time?

Hoping we might get a better price for craning in if we aslo gaive them some work at the same time.

This one also has space for a washer

Thanks for any help

Dave

Since and can't get enough time off work at the moment we are considering moving the boat on a lorry.

Does anyone have an idea of price to go from Alvechurch to somewhere on the K & A? and who might do it.

Since the blacking was last done in 2008 we are thinking having it done whilst the boat is out.

So does anyone have reccommendations of where on the K & A we could have it craned in and blacked at the same time?

Hoping we might get a better price for craning in if we aslo gaive them some work at the same time.

This one also has space for a washer

Thanks for any help

Dave

Congratulations. We are in a similar position with regard to the moving thing. The boat we are buying is about a week from our mooring, but we both have fixed holidays, so moving it is difficulat. We are more likely to go down the move it on the water approach.

Hilperton might be a possibility on the crane/blacking front.

Edited by PiRSqwared

Dave

Congratulations on the purchase,

before you commit to having your boat craned out (expensive) moved by lorry (expensive) craned back in (expensive) I would urge you look into moving it in stages selecting safe moorings in between.

We moved ours from Weedon in Northants. to Willington in Derbyshire in two stages, with me going back by train/taxi to get the car, a lot cheaper than craning/road transport, and it was a lot more enjoyable too..

Or you could ask someone to move the boat down to the K&A for you? Might be a lot cheaper.

Tone

We were thinking that we have to pay for a craning to have the survey so the cost may the same whether it goes on a truck or back in the water.

If on the K&A we offer someone the blacking work also, the crane in may be cheaper than the crane out.

I don't know what transport costs are nowadays but I remember how surprised I was when my brother in law moved his timber forwarding tractors around the country how little it was. I expected it to be a lot more expensive. If he moved them more than obout fourty miles he hired a low loader.

I think Heather is nervous about such a long journey as newbies and leaving the boat moored somewhere for 14 days at the time until I can take more holiday. The boat will be new to us and she won't want to leave it.

Thanks

Dave

It looks very similar in style to yours from what I remember... I could be wrong though

Interior is modern yes, but not what I'd call New York apartment-

showboat+interior+galley+1.JPG

Bad picture - sorry but we've never taken any of our own of the interior.

Congratulations. We are in a similar position with regard to the moving thing. The boat we are buying is about a week from our mooring, but we both have fixed holidays, so moving it is difficulat. We are more likely to go down the move it on the water approach.

Hilperton might be a possibility on the crane/blacking front.

Don't think that Hilpertons (Alvechurch at Trowbridge) crane will handle a 60' boat. Transportwise suggest Chris Baber Transport. They are localish to Devizes Bristol)and have a trombone trailer and have years of experience of moving narrowboats. (Google for their details. Have used them in the past and they are reliable). Suggest that the best option would be to drop in at Sally Boats/Bradford on Avon Marina. Plenty of room for articulated lorry and a big crane bearing in mind 60' of boat comes in at around 17 tons. Marina may want some sort of payment for the use of their space. Blacking can be done at Sally Boats in their dry dock. You could also contact The Boatyard (Spencer Collins) which is located next to Alvechurch at Hilperton who also offer a blacking service.

Congrats on securing the mooring :cheers:

Don't think that Hilpertons (Alvechurch at Trowbridge) crane will handle a 60' boat. Transportwise suggest Chris Baber Transport. They are localish to Devizes Bristol)and have a trombone trailer and have years of experience of moving narrowboats. (Google for their details. Have used them in the past and they are reliable). Suggest that the best option would be to drop in at Sally Boats/Bradford on Avon Marina. Plenty of room for articulated lorry and a big crane bearing in mind 60' of boat comes in at around 17 tons. Marina may want some sort of payment for the use of their space. Blacking can be done at Sally Boats in their dry dock. You could also contact The Boatyard (Spencer Collins) which is located next to Alvechurch at Hilperton who also offer a blacking service.

Congrats on securing the mooring :cheers:

Hello,

Their website suggests they can handle 70 feet. Of course, they may be exaggerating due to self esteem issues!

Edited by PiRSqwared