Help

wolfie8832

Featured Posts

Hi the survey was successful no problems, transferring ownership of boat Friday.

So now I need all the help I can get so here are my plans,

The boat is on the Gloucester and sharpness canal by slim bridge marina I need to get to Tattenhall

So all going well I plan to spend a few hours with the guy showing me the gadgets on the boat and heading to the river seven on sat. Trough River seven to get into Stour port basin. From there to Shropshire union to Norbury ..

I know the ice is bad in the northwest but is on the decline if a different If one can tell me any different please do. I know am hoping a lot I would like to get the boat home for xmas. Any help advice would be helpful Also keep look out for us the boat is Caparina in navy blue. If we do come stuck we will have no choice but to leave it moored up.

Also am insuring the boat tomorrow morning so anybody know any good insurers.

Again thanks for all your help in advance…..mark

So all going well I plan to spend a few hours with the guy showing me the gadgets on the boat and heading to the river seven on sat. Trough River seven to get into Stour port basin. From there to Shropshire union to Norbury ..

I know the ice is bad in the northwest but is on the decline if a different If one can tell me any different please do. I know am hoping a lot I would like to get the boat home for xmas. Any help advice would be helpful Also keep look out for us the boat is Caparina in navy blue. If we do come stuck we will have no choice but to leave it moored up.

Congratulations on purchasing a new way of staying poor. Before you decide on your route, best check HERE for BW maintenance stoppages. I think that you may be ok via Stourport & up the S&W but not sure about the Shroppie. The river is ice free but Stourport Basins and the S&W are frozen solid at the moment. Good luck.

Hi the survey was successful no problems, transferring ownership of boat Friday.

So now I need all the help I can get so here are my plans,

The boat is on the Gloucester and sharpness canal by slim bridge marina I need to get to Tattenhall

I would suggest you take a months mooring and try after Christmas, I think you will be hard pushed to do the trip before with the amount of ice there is about.

I would suggest you take a months mooring and try after Christmas, I think you will be hard pushed to do the trip before with the amount of ice there is about.

I think the Staffs and Worcs is stopped at Awbridge until the Christmas break. The ice here in Audlem has started to melt on the surface but it's down to a gnat's breath over freezing here tonight and tomorrow will be the last warm day for the next few weeks according to the long-term forecast. It has been very cold here. The Shroppie is stopped at Hack Green and various places north, moreover, a lot of work was missed due to the inclement conditions so I would be inclined to watch the stoppages list very carefully.

On the grounds of safety and frustration, though I think the advice to stop where you are is sound, at least until the Christmas break and even then I'd be cautious.

All the boats managed by BCBM are insured through Towergate Mardon who have been extremely helpful. They certainly came up trumps when Ownerships Ltd ceased trading and left over 100 boats with less than a month's cover remaining.

I am with those that say leave it where it is.

It is on a mooring have a check with the boat owner when the mooring is paid till (though they are not usually transferable) also have a chat with BW, a three way agreement may be possible.

Good luck

I am with those that say leave it where it is.

It is on a mooring have a check with the boat owner when the mooring is paid till (though they are not usually transferable) also have a chat with BW, a three way agreement may be possible.

Good luck

I agree 100%

Hi

Having just moved our boat from Gloucester to Stourport, I would advise most strongly against attempting this now, even more so if you are a novice boater. Mr Hum is not of a nervous disposition, and he nearly had a nervous breakdown. The current was very strong, and got even worse once we passed Upton on Severn. He said it was almost impossible to control the thing, the slightest lapse of concentration and it was off, and you could really feel the engine struggling. He was freezing cold, and ached all over from trying to hold the tiller and keep the boat in a straight line. He felt it was unsafe to be out in the current. We didn't actually reach Diglis Lock until nearly 5pm, but luckily the lock keeper agreed to wait to let us through - there's nowhere at all to stop between Upton & Worcester. I have to say, the Lock Keepers couldn't have been more helpful, and the guy at Holt Lock let me wait in his nice warm hut (I followed along by car) and even let me open and shut the lock gates to let the boat through!! Speak to Mike at Gloucester, he will tell you what's what. I know they close the River at some point, and put flood boards in, but am not sure when.

Once past Diglis the current wasn't too bad, but bad enough, and getting into Stourport was really tricky. It looks like you should line yourselves up straight with the lock entrance and come across the river, but this is impossible due to the current. Best way is to come in close as if you are going to moor on the lock landing, then swing it round quickly from there. Otherwise you've no hope of getting into the lock.

The other thing to bear in mind is to plan your stopping points, as there are not very many on the Severn, and allow extra time between each. You MUST plan where you are going to stop, otherwise you'll find yourselves out in the dark with nowhere to go. The locks close at 4 pm this time of year, and are also closed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.

I was at Stourport over the weekend and the basin was frozen solid, as was the canal. There are some photos on the blog - www.nbhumdinger.blogspot.com.

I would strongly advise, from our experience, leaving the boat where it is until well into the New Year.

Edited because I forgot something!

Edited by Mrs Humdinger

I am no expert on the river but would immagine there would be fair amount of flow at this time of year, posibly worse with some thawing in the last day or so, so I would suggest you dont go on it especially with a boat you dont have any experience of. If you do then I would suggest you go up with another boat for safety

Charles

• Greenie 1

You MUST plan where you are going to stop, otherwise you'll find yourselves out in the dark with nowhere to go. The locks close at 4 pm this time of year, and are also closed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.

Yes we did that in September but when we got there the moorings were full, so had to press on, not good and we had left Gloucester on the first opening of the day, it was a long, long day.

Hi, took all your advice on board and took your advice, so the plan now is to moor the boat at Saul marina at Gloucester till after February till weather breaks.

Shame we can’t get the boat home but better being safe than sorry.

So all going well we should arrive at Saul marina around 2pm Saturday.

Again thanks for all your help at least we wont be eating xmas turkey sandwiches stuck in the Ice ………..Mark

Just came back from Saul marina off the sharpness canal, how naive was I to think I could move the boat towards home this time of year. I had to brake up thick layers of Ice to got the craft on to the mooring it’s really frozen in up there.

No doubt I have done some damage to the blacking in front of hull!

You can see just under water line were the backing came away slightly.

Unfortunately the blacking wasn’t long done, do you think it would be acceptable to leave it as it is or haul the boat out when get the chance and re black damaged area.

The only other option I had at time was to leave the boat unattended at canal side and drive back down 3 hr drive, before xmas when weather thawed out.

Thanks Guys …….Mark

Just came back from Saul marina off the sharpness canal, how naive was I to think I could move the boat towards home this time of year. I had to brake up thick layers of Ice to got the craft on to the mooring it’s really frozen in up there.

No doubt I have done some damage to the blacking in front of hull!

You can see just under water line were the backing came away slightly.

Unfortunately the blacking wasn’t long done, do you think it would be acceptable to leave it as it is or haul the boat out when get the chance and re black damaged area.

The only other option I had at time was to leave the boat unattended at canal side and drive back down 3 hr drive, before xmas when weather thawed out.

Thanks Guys …….Mark

Mark

I would not worry about the blacking. It seems to be normal to black boats every 2 years.

Steve