Moving Domestic Batteries

DaveC

Featured Posts

Hi all

I am thinking of moving my domestic battery bank (4 x 115 Ahrs) from the engine bay, under the "cruiser stern" into a more accessible position, like under the bed where there is plenty of space. To do this I would need to extend the wiring by about 2 or 3 feet. What problems could be associated with this? I know I will need suitable battery boxes and covers but anything else? If I move them at least checking/topping up will be easier.

Dave

Hi all

I am thinking of moving my domestic battery bank (4 x 115 Ahrs) from the engine bay, under the "cruiser stern" into a more accessible position, like under the bed where there is plenty of space. To do this I would need to extend the wiring by about 2 or 3 feet. What problems could be associated with this? I know I will need suitable battery boxes and covers but anything else? If I move them at least checking/topping up will be easier.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Possible problems will be:-

1) Poss greater voltage drop because of longer cables. Depends if the cables are going to be longer, and if you make them real thick, it may not be a problem

2) Venting gas produced to atmosphere. Depends on the type of battery. BSS likes to have vents.

3) Change of trim of boat, but probably not significant.

4) Loss of storage space under bed

All I can think of at the moment. I have a similar problem, with some of the domestic batteries under the starbd rear bed and the rest in the engine space. Different temperatures and losses in the the connecting cable. But I am trying to sort it.

Keith

Why? Batteries are oily, greasy things get hot, sometimes leak acid, and give off dangerous gas! Why would you want them in your bedroom? What will you do with the space vacated in the engine area?... use it to store all the stuff that used to be under the bed?

Hi all

Dave

Hi there. Others will no doubt come along with technical details but I have recently relocated my batteries and I would say:

Don't underestimate the cost of the (thicker) new cabling

Don't underestimate the amount of (20mmm external quality) plywood needed for the box - its a lot

There are lots of regulations about the box but basically it needs to restrain the batteries up to a minimum of 2/3rds the height of the battery and needs to be well ventilated which means a big box that's higher than the batteries with internal divders at two thirds height and a cover. Your main problem will be adequate ventilation and you'll most probably need a fan if its under the bed.

And the result - maintaining the batteries is still a pain in the bum - its just takes a bit less time.

Mmmmm. Let me think - waste a whole weekend on this project, drill a hole in the side of the boat, install an electric extractor fan. And what have you achieved? lifting your bed up instead of the engine cover for the occasional battery inspection - and dont forget the extra complexity, wires to go wrong, fan to fail or drain the battery, worrying smell of flammable gas at night, failure of BSS.

The batteries were put where they are for a very good reason. Surely one of the key rules for stress free boating is KISS.

where does BSS require separate/additional venting for batteries that are installed in an already properly ventilated living compartment?

I'm no expert but I would have thought the space under the bed doesn't comprise a properly ventilated living compartment - it's pretty much sealed off. I would have thought that an exhaust fan wouldn't necessarily have to be vented externally though. It also occurs to me that you would need to make sure the fan is pretty quiet if you are going to be sleeping over it.

Dave

Bedrooms are for sleeping in, not storing stuff which should be in the engine room

I know of quite a few boats where the engine itself and a bed (or beds) share the same room....

For example it is not unusual to have a "trad" shell with single beds that run either side of a boxed in engine.

Presumably in these cases beds and batteries are in fairly close proximity ?

Engine bay is the worst place you can keep batteries, temp ranges from freezing to baking. We have them in the back cabin where they keep clean and are in a stable temp, valuable items to be looked after and cosseted. Even unsealed FLAs keep clean, ours were spotless when we replaced them after 2+ years.

Funny how people worry about ventilation advocating fans and such but don't bother when they're in the engine bay.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I'm no expert but I would have thought the space under the bed doesn't comprise a properly ventilated living compartment - it's pretty much sealed off.

if your under bed space is not well ventilated you will probably suffer from a damp matress.

it is not difficult to arrange.