What I really hate about some scummy boaters!

Bob M

Featured Posts

I know it is probably a complete waste of time, but sometimes I think I should do something about it, rather than just leave the problem for the next boat along.....

Alex

Last problem we had whilst out was when we encountered an un-tethered boat - we rang BW (I think we got the correct number from either our Nicky's guide or the manual our hire boat company supplied.

The call was answered quickly and courteously and we were assured somebody would be down to our location to sort it. We didn't hang around to find out but I have no reason to believe it wasn't.

Last problem we had whilst out was when we encountered an un-tethered boat - we rang BW (I think we got the correct number from either our Nicky's guide or the manual our hire boat company supplied.

The call was answered quickly and courteously and we were assured somebody would be down to our location to sort it. We didn't hang around to find out but I have no reason to believe it wasn't.

To be fair, BW have responded to some of our calls, but not to others.

Well I've not read all the thread yet but feel inspired to comment that I really must clean all the "prop rubbish" out of the engine hole. It gets piled next to the weed hatch and as they say, out of sight out of mind...

DSCF8862.jpg[/img]

It all came out of the cut but of course not from one boat`s prop. Is it poss this bridge hole is also a dump for the locals and the rubbish has built up from several passing boats clearing their props.

My guess is someone has been doing a bit of dredging but what puzzles me is if that is the case why not move the stuff away before the locals push it all back in.

• Greenie 1

what puzzles me is if that is the case why not move the stuff away before the locals push it all back in.

What puzzles me is why the twits throw the stuff in the cut in the first place.....idiots... :angry:

Any reason you didn't tie it up again?

Any reason you didn't tie it up again?

We did..however she was a very light GRP cruiser and had obviously drifted some way from her mooring.

We found her at a point where the tow path was paved very hard and stony, she had one mooring pin still attached to one of her ropes. So I did improvise the best and most secure mooring I could with one line, a mooring pin and nothing much to knock it into.

I called BW because I wasn't happy the passing next few boats would't pull the pin out and because the owner wouldn't find their boat where they left it...

When I said we didn't hang about I meant after we'd secured the boat as best we could and then phoned BW.

OK?

Edited by MJG

We did..however she was a very light GRP cruiser and had obviously drifted some way from her mooring.

We found her at a point where the tow path was paved very hard and stony, she had one mooring pin still attached to one of her ropes. So I did improvise the best and most secure mooring I could with one line, a mooring pin and nothing much to knock it into.

I called BW because I wasn't happy the passing next few boats would't pull the pin out and because the owner wouldn't find their boat where they left it...

When I said we didn't hang about I meant after we'd secured the boat as best we could and then phoned BW.

OK?

This wasn't north of Nantwich was it?

maybe the cut is cluttered with adrift tupperware

I pulled this little lot out recently.

RIMG1487-1.jpg

why not move the stuff away before the locals push it all back in.

Move it where? Maybe drag it up to the nearest road and dump it in a layby? If there is not a handy skip nearby then what are people supposed to do with it, other than phone BW to let them know it needs collecting? At least someone has bothered to drag it out.

This wasn't north of Nantwich was it?

maybe the cut is cluttered with adrift tupperware

Can't recall the exact location but it was in the vicinity of Polesworth on the Coventry,

After reading this thread and seeing some of the crap dragged from the canals I couldn't believe my eyes when I settled down to watch the movie The Full Monty and low and behold there was a Ford Cortina or maybe Granada floating in the canal.

Oh my,

Terence :(

After reading this thread and seeing some of the crap dragged from the canals I couldn't believe my eyes when I settled down to watch the movie The Full Monty and low and behold there was a Ford Cortina or maybe Granada floating in the canal.

Oh my,

That'll be the scene with that classic line..

'That wasn't much of a chiffin' SOS....

Brilliant.

On the staffs & worcs we got a peace of log caught on the prop.

Had to push it out then got it out of the canal with the boat hook and wondered what we should do with it.

Just then a boat came around the bend and went into the lock we where by.

The log ended up being taken by them for their multi fuel stove lol

Last year, when we were on the Staffs & Worcs, we passed a two seater settee followed closely by some interior household doors.

While frozen in on the Coventry canal this year, we used to frequent the canal side Anchor Pub in Glascote(only to play on their pool table). Next to the pub, was a road bridge where the locals would throw all manner of things that under normal circumstances would sink to the bottom of the cut. With the water being frozen, the evidence was laying on the surface for six weeks until the thaw arrived. Bloody disgrace!

Oh my,

Just clicked onto your web site. Think we'll be contacting you in the spring, nice work! :)

Move it where? Maybe drag it up to the nearest road and dump it in a layby? If there is not a handy skip nearby then what are people supposed to do with it, other than phone BW to let them know it needs collecting? At least someone has bothered to drag it out.

Well the responsible thing to do is to put it on your boat - yes, I know it disturbs the aesthetic but it's only for a bit - and take it to the bins. By dumping it on the towpath you are every bit as responsible as the people who threw it in in the first place.

(I said you but realise it may not have been rereading your post, if so apologies)

Surely the implication of that picture is that it is 'democracy in action' - the majority appear to think this is how Brinnington should be, judging by the variety of rubbish in this photo.

And I do hope the photographer cleared it up afterwards.

That is actually one of the more picturesque bits of Brinnington.

• Greenie 1

True enough but I slipped on one a couple of years ago and hurt my already knackered back.

It's also a problem on marinas. Where we moor, there's plenty of poo bins and wheelie bins available to dispose of dog poo, yet a minority of dog owners persist in letting their hounds foul the place. I always look upon marinas as small communities of so called 'like minded people', but some of the community, let the others down by their lazy, inconsiderate behavior! :angry:

What puzzles me is why the twits throw the stuff in the cut in the first place.....idiots... :angry:

Stupid is, stupid does!