Sussex Moorings?

captain rosie

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I am thinking about selling the narrowboat I currently live on and buying a barge. Ideally I would like to live on the South Coast to be closer to friends and family. What I need to know is if I can get a mooring there. I have done a search and not really found anything helpful. So I turn to your brilliant minds to suggest and advise! Does anyone know of a place I could moor a barge on the South Coast???? :captain:

Newhaven Harbour? There are many boats of all shapes and sizes moored there. I have certainly seen a liveaboard barge or two whilst walking around there in the past.

Edited by Athy

When looking for moorings, for the Lifeboat, I looked at Google Earth and travelled around the coast until I found a likely looking harbour, river or inlet, then googled for moorings at that location.

Asking on YBW forum, for local knowledge, usually turns up results. More than here, probably, owing to the coastal nature of your question.

My main problem was boat size (51' is often just too big to accommodate, long term). You will have the added disadvantage of residential status but it isn't impossible.

Littlehampton is another opportunity. I have visited on many occasions and seem boats of all shapes and sizes moored.

There is also a (terminology check) large rise and fall in the tide. In addition once Hamsterfan (member on here)and his colleagues get the Wey and Arun completed in many years time you can jolly up into London. But not on a wide beam.

Martyn

PS. I think I have the above correct. :closedeyes:

Edited by Nightwatch1

Newhaven Harbour? There are many boats of all shapes and sizes moored there. I have certainly seen a liveaboard barge or two whilst walking around there in the past.

Newhaven (I live there) is strangely expensive. I will alert PB to the question - he has a much better knowledge of the Sussex coastline than I.

Sadly I think the Rhoda B has bagged the best spot!

did someone say something :glare:

there are several mooring posibilities in E/W Sussex sadly the Wey And Arun isn't one of them yet!!

East Sussex

Lewes i think there are moorings on the river but not certain

Newhaven

Brighton Marina

Shoreham and the river Adur

West Sussex

Littlehampton and Arundel on the River Arun

Pagham Harbour (limited as most is a nature reserve)

Chichester harbour

Chichester Ship Canal again limited spaces on the birdham - cashers pound

Birdham pool yacht haven

langstone Harbour

there are others that are limited shelter / dry hardstandings for fishing boats

• Greenie 1