Old Oil Cans

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Clearing out my late Father in Law's garage, I found several old Oil and grease cans still containing most of their original contents, They are too interesting to throw away but how old are they?

My guess is that the two Castrol tins and the Wakefield/Girling tin date from the late 1950' early 1960's whilst the Shell can and the Pluis gas tin date from the early 1970's. can anyone cast any light on theri real age?

OilCans.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

How did you do That? I got it right second time

All late 1960s - I worked in a garage in 1970 and I recognise all of them from that time. If the price label on the 'Plus Gas' tin is not in pre-decimal currency it could be 1970 or 1971.

All late 1960s - I worked in a garage in 1970 and I recognise all of them from that time. If the price label on the 'Plus Gas' tin is not in pre-decimal currency it could be 1970 or 1971.

Thanks for that, the label on the Plus Gas tin is in decimal currency - 84p so post 1970. The shell oil can is 2 litres which I was assuming would also be 1970's unless Shell used litres before then.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that, the label on the Plus Gas tin is in decimal currency - 84p so post 1970. The shell oil can is 2 litres which I was assuming would also be 1970's unless Shell used litres before then.

That is surprising - if I recall correctly they still being sold in pints, quarts and gallons at that time and only went to litres with the arrival of plastic containers. I think the pint container was shaped like an oversize baked bean tin and may have been cardboard with a tin top and bottom.

The 1 Litre Shell can was a common size in France, many Citroen cars had a bracket welded to bulkhead or wing beneath the bonnet that took that size. More useful than a pint, and a gallon was too big. Total made many and was the 'preferred' brand of Citroen. Many such tins were made over a longish period of time, precise dating will be nigh impossible. Only the logo style and price (if on them) will narrow it down a little.

This topic has got me perplexed and bewildered because apart from reminding me of the Garage in Rugby where I worked part time in the early 1970s, it has brought to mind my earliest attempts at car restoration and maintenance - I bought a 1952 Triumph Mayflower with a seized engine for about £7. This would have been in 1962/3 long before I was old enough to drive. I collected petrol from a local garage in cans and I can remember them selling lubricating oil in glass bottles.

I have been trying to remember the brand of that lubrication oil but just can't and I have spent the last hour or so searching Google for images that might remind me what it could have been. The petrol sold at the garage was either Cleveland or National Benzole (remember the Smurfs) - interestingly, the fuel sold by both of those brands included a proportion of spirit distilled from coal by-products.

I can picture the tall bottles of dark oil on their rack but just cannot recall what the label said - it certainly wasn't one of the more popular brands . . .

The 1 Litre Shell can was a common size in France, many Citroen cars had a bracket welded to bulkhead or wing beneath the bonnet that took that size. More useful than a pint, and a gallon was too big. Total made many and was the 'preferred' brand of Citroen. Many such tins were made over a longish period of time, precise dating will be nigh impossible. Only the logo style and price (if on them) will narrow it down a little.

The French Connection could be the answer. Looking more closely at the can it has the following printed on the bottom of each side:- HD Pour SERVICE SC Superieure aSB-CB-CA, and on one side 2 Litres, and the other side C207 .

I have no idea where my father in law got the oil, he certainly never drove to the Contimnent until the mid 1970's, and he never had a Citroen car, although he did have Renault in the late 70's

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1