Bottom Rudder Bearing

steelaway

Featured Posts

Hi all

Has any one tried any thing different to a steel bottom bearing?

Bronze ? - Nylon ? Stainless ball bearing ?

It has lasted 5 years so maybe I'm being a bit too bothered.

Alex

I've bushed several with

Vesconite

but not had any back yet to see how they have performed.

You'll always get wear of the steel pin - ie the tip of the rudder post - and you have to have enough clearance to allow for slight misalignment or bending of the post, so probably wasting your time if you want to achieve a good long-lasting fit.

I doubt that any sort of ball bearing would last more than a few weeks in that sort of environment, but willing to be shown to be wrong ;)

Tim

Hi all

Has any one tried any thing different to a steel bottom bearing?

Bronze ? - Nylon ? Stainless ball bearing ?

It has lasted 5 years so maybe I'm being a bit too bothered.

Alex

Hi Alex

I machined a nylon or similar cup to fit in bottom bearing, been there over 5 years and has been very successful, blob of grease when we dry dock prob not needed but tiller stays super smooth.

Chris

When I was still at work and had access to such things, I had something made up to prevent further damage to the heavily corroded bearing cup. This involved a stainless steel disc, located in the cup, then a disc of nylon and then another disc of stainless steel to carry the weight of the rudder assembly. This gave a much larger load bearing area. There was no wear when last I saw it out of the water but that was a long time ago, when the boat was sold in 2001.

Arthur

Hi Alex

I machined a nylon or similar cup to fit in bottom bearing, been there over 5 years and has been very successful, blob of grease when we dry dock prob not needed but tiller stays super smooth.

Chris

Hi Chris

Just what I wanted to hear

I have some stock of the black bearing type nylon (forgot the name)

I'll machine out the bottom block and make a nylon sleeve to fit.

I have removed the steel bearing block today and found that the rudder has worn (pretty round) down to 37mm from 38 mm but the steel bearing has worn to 40+mm.

It has been suggested that a piece of stern tube material (11/2" - 38mm) would do a good job on an new rudder bar, but I think nylon will be perfect.

Alex

Hi Chris

Just what I wanted to hear

I have some stock of the black bearing type nylon (forgot the name)

I'll machine out the bottom block and make a nylon sleeve to fit.

I have removed the steel bearing block today and found that the rudder has worn (pretty round) down to 37mm from 38 mm but the steel bearing has worn to 40+mm.

It has been suggested that a piece of stern tube material (11/2" - 38mm) would do a good job on an new rudder bar, but I think nylon will be perfect.

Alex

Expect you already know but just make sure rudder post is supported on it's sides rather than it's end.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Mine is supported by a ball bearing block at the top.

Alex

You'll often have less trouble with vibration if the weight is taken on the end.

If using nylon, don't forget to allow for its expansion in water. The oil-bearing types expand less, but they still do it.

Tim

Mine is supported by a ball bearing block at the top.

Alex

Sorry, assumed you had a taper on the bottom of the rudder stock which fits a corresponding female taper in the bottom cup, takes all the weight, stays central (supported at the sides)and doesn't rattle.

Edited to add pcture

rudderpost.jpg

Edited by nb Innisfree

Sorry, assumed you had a taper on the bottom of the rudder stock which fits a corresponding female taper in the bottom cup, takes all the weight, stays central (supported at the sides)and doesn't rattle.

I've never seen one like that, if it were tapered and a half-decent fit it would jam up at the first excuse. My guess is that yours has worn to a taper (They often tend to do so).

Tim

I've never seen one like that, if it were tapered and a half-decent fit it would jam up at the first excuse. My guess is that yours has worn to a taper (They often tend to do so).

Tim

It's been like that since I had the shell built, post and cup tapered to fit, quite common on modern boats I believe? They don't jam but lubrication does help to stop any squeaking hence the nylon insert.

It's been like that since I had the shell built, post and cup tapered to fit, quite common on modern boats I believe? They don't jam but lubrication does help to stop any squeaking hence the nylon insert.

[OLDFARTMODE}

Been docking boats for over 40 years, never seen one like that

[/OLDFARTMODE}

;)

Quite seriously, if both halves are tapered and there's weight on it, it WILL jam up.

Tim

Most rudders seem to be hanging from the top off of a sealed bearing these days dont they ? the bottom of ours seems to float about a fair bit. I assume this is because the bottom is worn. From what your saying i guess i could undo the grub screws on the bearing and tap the rudder down a bit untill its sitting on the bottom of the shaft....is all this correct, and would it be worth trying to tap it down. When it comes out the water I'll have a proper look at it and see whats what

[OLDFARTMODE}

Been docking boats for over 40 years, never seen one like that

[/OLDFARTMODE}

;)

Quite seriously, if both halves are tapered and there's weight on it, it WILL jam up.

Tim

Depends on the amount of taper, a pronounced one is ok, our rudder has always been easy to lift out, about an inch, and is held centrally at the top with a standard plastic and O ring bearing i.e. the whole weight is taken on the bottom cup on the skeg.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Most rudders seem to be hanging from the top off of a sealed bearing these days dont they ? the bottom of ours seems to float about a fair bit. I assume this is because the bottom is worn. From what your saying i guess i could undo the grub screws on the bearing and tap the rudder down a bit untill its sitting on the bottom of the shaft....is all this correct, and would it be worth trying to tap it down. When it comes out the water I'll have a proper look at it and see whats what

Yes, I'd give it a try if you have any trouble with it rattling. Try to leave it free to slide in the top bearing so the weight is on the bottom.

Tim

Depends on the amount of taper, a pronounced one is ok, our rudder has always been easy to lift out, about an inch, and is held centrally at the top with a standard plastic and O ring bearing i.e. the whole weight is taken on the bottom cup on the skeg.

The angle would need to be greater than that in your little sketch ;) That looks to be about the same as a standard (milling etc) machine spindle taper, where the taper is used to drive the tool!

I know, it's only a sketch & not a scale drawing. I'd be interested to see one like that, I can see the idea behind it but not yet convinced :unsure:

Tim

Edit to add - maybe it's intended to double as a friction damper ;)

Edited by Timleech

The most successful arrangement we have found is to have large diameter, 2" perhaps, rudder stock turning in cast iron bearings top and bottom. These are shrunk into steel shells to aid welding and the bottom one is cup shaped and welded to the skeg at the same angle as the rudder stock so that the stock sits squarely on the bottom of the cup. Regards, HughC.

The most successful arrangement we have found is to have large diameter, 2" perhaps, rudder stock turning in cast iron bearings top and bottom. These are shrunk into steel shells to aid welding and the bottom one is cup shaped and welded to the skeg at the same angle as the rudder stock so that the stock sits squarely on the bottom of the cup. Regards, HughC.

Basically the same as on working Narrow Boats, never been improved upon! The vast majority of modern boats have steering gear which is too skinny, which is why so many have problems with vibration.

Tim

Just to enlarge on that slightly: Is the bottom of the rudder stock rounded and running in a cup shaped bearing, or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks.

Just to enlarge on that slightly: Is the bottom of the rudder stock rounded and running in a cup shaped bearing, or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks.

Hi

My rudder stock is 11/2" and a piece of round steel bar 3"x 2" with an 11/2" hole is welded onto the skeg for it it to pivot in - simple but prone to wear.

Alex

DSCF2011.jpg

Hi

My rudder stock is 11/2" and a piece of round steel bar 3"x 2" with an 11/2" hole is welded onto the skeg for it it to pivot in - simple but prone to wear.

Alex

DSCF2011.jpg

Alex,

Did you use Stilsons to tighten your prop nut?

Paul