River Sarthe, France.

Neil TNC

Featured Posts

I tend to find the worst of the Whelps just before coming under the bridge on the North side, but I guess it makes some difference where the channel is that day. On a rising tide we nearly always take the North Channel even if thats not the main channel as it can be a softer ride.

Mike

We just did what we were told!

The TNC video is much more exciting, especially looking back at NB Frogmoore II ploughing through the waves.

instead of just slowly continuing towards the barge to keep steerage and then as they are about 10m away from the bows of the commercial steer just a little bit towards the bank on their side, the bowwaves will do the rest and when past the barge will pull them automaticly back to sort of mid-channel.

Another bleat we've heard from now two different narrow boat owners is that they were "tipped". An expression we had not encountered before, but it was because each of them had tied tight to the bank using a line from the roof, and as a chargé went by and drew the water away from under them their boat heeled right over. They each of them blamed the chargé with no thought that it might be down to their own ignorance, or that they might be able to moor in a way that did not make that happen.

This is good advice for the UK canals too.

• 2 weeks later...

We're in danger of running a mutual admiration society here, but again I totally endorse what you say, and again it is a thing we emphasise with our trainees. A steerer is responsible for his own boat. Meeting an 80m+ ship on the Rhône or the Seine - so what? There is so much space and such deep water that the interaction is negligible. Meet a loaded 38m automoteur on a Freycinet waterway and you really do need to know what you are doing. If you slow right down or pull right over to the bank you have simply abdicated all responsibility for your craft, and you will be thrown about like an empty plastic bottle by the movement of water he sets up. You may even be sat on the bottom or swung out across the canal as he draws all the water from away under you. It is no use crying then and blaming him - you need to kick yourself in the bum and tell yourself how stupid you were, and that next time you will keep going at a moderate speed and stay as close to him as you can. It is bad manners to actually come into contact, but you will find that almost impossible anyway as the pressure from his bow wave will push you well clear. Aim to be close enough to shake hands with the batellier as you pass.

This is good advice for the UK canals too.

Yes, on a smaller scale, couldn't agree more. The number of people who try to stop when they see Chertsey coming and end up all over the cut. If only people would remember that they are responsible for controlling their own boat.

Yes, on a smaller scale, couldn't agree more. The number of people who try to stop when they see Chertsey coming and end up all over the cut. If only people would remember that they are responsible for controlling their own boat.

I would agree, but hasten to add, have you ever been on someone else's boat as Chertsey (or, another unladen Woolwich) approaches?, it's like the bloody Titanic bearing down upon you :help::P

Mike

I would agree, but hasten to add, have you ever been on someone else's boat as Chertsey (or, another unladen Woolwich) approaches?, it's like the bloody Titanic bearing down upon you :help::P

Mike

Lean over sideways and look along the (ordinarily left or "port") side of your boat and eye up the side of the oncoming vessel. If you are of a nervous disposition you might possibly leave at most 2m clearance - imagine a slightly thin narrowboat's width between the two boats. Otherwise imagine being able to reach out and just about touch it with your finger nails. Any more than this is irrelevant, and you are taking a chance (on a narrow canal, at least, or even on a French Freycinet size one) of getting yourself into trouble. The old adage "a miss is as good as a mile" is good. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tam & Di

But it's still only seven feet wide!

I appreciate that, but the sight of a Woolwich approaching is definitely different to that of a modern hulled narrow boat. One cruised past us on the Shroppie last year and was most impressive, or, should I say, imperious.

Either way, they're great to see out on the cut!

Mike

Having been taught how to speak proper when growing up in London, every time I see the title of this thread I just read "the Sarthe of France" as referring to the Mediterranean coast

:lol:

We had a boater friend who was originally from the East-end. He would amuse me with his cockney twang and stories of old. He once told me that a lock keeper asked where he'd sailed from, to which he replied "the Med", the keeper was very impressed, not realizing he meant the River Medway and not the Mediterranean! :P

Mike