Single-handed through my first 5 locks

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

We don't have a boat. We can't afford to do hire boat holidays. We have, over the past couple of years, given up our rare Saturdays off - and our even rarer weeks off - to give a hand with Bosley and Marple locks. On the last occasion, several months after we'd last worked locks (and being of that age when the memory isn't so good), we got a few things wrong. Someone - not the boater we were helping - thought this was most amusing, and spent the whole time laughing at us. Glad we were able to brighten someone's day...But we have better things to do with our time off.

If this is referring to the time I was also helping. I remember it being a fantastic day. Lovely weather....good company. I remember laughing at joint mistakes (mostly mine......and as a boat owner I should have known better!). I certainly thought I was laughing WITH you, I apologise if it came across differently. It was a great day made all the better for you being there,

Jan

Only the two locks with a bridge by them was I able to step off with a rope as the boat entered the lock. The rest of the locks had steep sloped, usually grassy but even the ones with steps were wet with algae from water leaking from the lock. In those I clambered up onto the roof and up onto the lockside.

As for exiting the lock, call me old fashioned but on a windy day, single-handing with a 65ft boat with none of those magical bow-thrusters I hear exotic tales of, and a weir opposite, I will take the boat out of the lock, tie it at the bollards and walk back to close the gate. If that's what I feel safest doing, that's what I'm gonna do! As far as I'm concerned what's SAFE and WORKS is what's RIGHT, so please don't tell me it's wrong. You're not me. You're not taking my boat in those conditions through those locks. As the title of this thread suggests, I couldn't be more of a beginner at this, but declaring summit is wrong because it's not your way isn't constructive. The kind advice with regards to Tyrley is however, excellent and helpful advice.

Now if you don't mind, I have a painting of Warwick Castle to finish in gale force winds. I intend to use my own style of painting because in as much as it will look like a castle and the paint will stick to the boat, it works. Sorry if you think because I'm not using your technique for painting a picture of Warwick Castle, it's "wrong" :P

I think luctor's comments were sarcastically aimed at WJM

You are quite right to do things your way. If it's safe and works then it's fine - bollox to the people telling you how it 'should' be done.

but wont you get dust & leaves stuck to the paint in this wind... ;)

I also thought Luctor's comment were very tongue in cheek, certainly not seriously aimed at you.

I admit to being a coward, and have no intention of single handing unless I really have to so very well done.

And if I did I would stop at the landing to open the gates, and again after to close them, unless they leant themselves to being able to tie one end in while I opened closed the gates while standing by the gates.(Not sure that made sense but I think I know what I mean!)

Even with 2 of us, if we both get off the boat I ALWAYS take the centre line off with me and tie it loosely round a bollard, I have no intention of swimming or even wading to catch my boat :help:

Sue

When going up in a lock I like to tie the centre line to the very forward bollard so that the nose of the boat is tight up against the cill and wind the paddle up gently until the boat has reached the gate then wind both paddles up completely. This stops the boat bashing around and making the cat inside pee in fright. When I have time to explain this to other 'helpers' they are usually fine about it. Often though as soon as my boat is in the lock they wind the paddles up and I then have to deal with the consequences!

Of course the helpers who tell me to stay on the boat and do the whole lock for me are lovely and I can control the boat with the engine and all is well with the world.

On the whole I do prefer to do it myself as I do feel guilty if others do too much for me.

Gate opening and closing assistance is always gratefully received though.

I do think that's equally selfish as wanting to barge through in a hurry, though.

If you know you are way slower than everyone else then surely it's good manners to let the boat behind you past, when the circumstances are right, rather than holding them up all day? Yes, you have the choice of doing locks your own way, but it's inconsiderate to ignore everyone else while doing so.

That is unfortunately so and I definately agree with you; but the difference is remaining passive and unchallenging as I see it. As BSP says "but what can you do". Grin and bear it and display an exemplary stance is my approach..

It's rather like that old analogy from a Buddhist text I once read. A pilgrim is speeding along on horseback and a wise old sage at the side of the road steps out and halts him (from some distance I hasten to add) to ask "whoa my son, where are you going in such haste", to which the pilgrim replies: "I don't know...ask the horse"...

Edited by Orca

I also thought Luctor's comment were very tongue in cheek, certainly not seriously aimed at you.

I admit to being a coward, and have no intention of single handing unless I really have to so very well done.

And if I did I would stop at the landing to open the gates, and again after to close them, unless they leant themselves to being able to tie one end in while I opened closed the gates while standing by the gates.(Not sure that made sense but I think I know what I mean!)

Even with 2 of us, if we both get off the boat I ALWAYS take the centre line off with me and tie it loosely round a bollard, I have no intention of swimming or even wading to catch my boat :help:

Sue

Yes, of course my comments were in jest. You should work the lock as you feel comfortable and save. When I started coming down from Stone, down the T&M, I mentioned in a post that mooring up, opening the gate, entering the lock etc etc, was taking a long time, and Richard (RLWP) kindly explained a time saving method, which I tried and found very much to my liking. But it is not for everybody, but I found that for me, it made the whole locking experience much more enjoyable. I had single locks down to 10 minutes, without running around to do the paddles.

And like Sue, I always take the centreline (well, apart from in a narrow lock). The boat is strong enough to go off on her own, and bump into the lock or bank, but I want to be able to retrieve her without getting wet... ;)

Well done!!!

I like locking single handed, but it's of course unsafe to rush!

My boat's only 23 feet long, so without the centre line to control the boat, it would thrash about due to movement of water even in a narrow lock... I therefore always use any bollards that are available even if only for a couple of minutes. With such a short boat I often just pull it in or out without the use of the engine.