Gym Equipment

Orca

Featured Posts

Am considering putting a Cross Trainer in my Cratch, or perhaps an exercise bike?? Cross Trainer on first perusement of many dimensions would appear a little too tall, but just wonderd if anybody had got one on board and how they get on with it?? Walking and cycling in the Winter months can be a little off-putting for obvious reasons, so just wanted to wake up and have 'instant' workout potential...

If you've already got a bike on board, buy yourself one of those stands with a roller which has a friction brake on it. Park the bike's back wheel in the stand that lifts it off the deck, screw the friction brake down (depending how hard you want to pedal/work-out) and pedal away. Will take up less stowage space than a cross trainer and you'll still get a cardio vascular workout..

If you can find a decent folding cross trainer I'd be interested. All the foling ones I've seen are crap.

The one I have my eye on is a Bremshey Orbital Plus - it does fold down, but will no doubt still be a little on the large side. Cake and eat it scanario rings true here I feel!!. Cost over £500 new, but good 2nd hand ones are available off the Bay. Bremshey are by far the best equipment in my opinion and built to last! A friend of mine bought a cross trainer new for less than a £100; it fell to bits within months...

If you've already got a bike on board, buy yourself one of those stands with a roller which has a friction brake on it. Park the bike's back wheel in the stand that lifts it off the deck, screw the friction brake down (depending how hard you want to pedal/work-out) and pedal away. Will take up less stowage space than a cross trainer and you'll still get a cardio vascular workout..

It's the upper body workout I want as much as the pure cardio stuff. A Cross Trainer does just about everything if you use it properly...thanks for the advice though!!

Edited by Orca

It seems such a waste of energy to use a friction brake. Does anyone remember the Daf automatic variable drive? It comprised two cones and a rubber band.

Remove the friction brake, fit a cone on the end of the roller and mount another cone with an alternator attached. Fit rubber band and linkages to adjust the position of the belt (rubber band) and you can then charge the batteries whilst having a workout..............

I'm liking that idea.

The only exercise equipment on my boat is 2 sets of hand weights. One pair are the traditional mini dumbells (6Kg) while the others are the wrap around type (not sure what these are called).

I'm not great at setting aside time for keeping fit but the wrap around / wristband style ones are great for exercising when doing stuff you'd do anyway. For example I wore them a few times whilst driving the 180 miles between Derbyshire and Sussex, mainly to see if I could. Probably not recommended by the DVLA but a great way of building up one's arm muscles (though proper cars without power steering are better still!).

When not in use for exercising, all of my weights live on the corridor side of the boat. No prizes for guessing why that is ;)

I saw a rig like the one Phil describes in a French museum. Used by Resistance members 1940-5 for powering up radio transmitters via the back wheel of a pushbike, so it obviously does the trick.

I keep one of those an ancient "Bullworkers" aboard my boat ('Bout all I've got room For..) but once you get used to it, it's as good as a set of weights in some respects, and £5 in the Oxfam shop.. :D

I'm liking that idea.

The only exercise equipment on my boat is 2 sets of hand weights. One pair are the traditional mini dumbells (6Kg) while the others are the wrap around type (not sure what these are called).

I'm not great at setting aside time for keeping fit but the wrap around / wristband style ones are great for exercising when doing stuff you'd do anyway. For example I wore them a few times whilst driving the 180 miles between Derbyshire and Sussex, mainly to see if I could. Probably not recommended by the DVLA but a great way of building up one's arm muscles (though proper cars without power steering are better still!).

When not in use for exercising, all of my weights live on the corridor side of the boat. No prizes for guessing why that is ;)

My excercise equipment is also a handweight. It's made of glass and you have to fill it with a liquid, raise it then empty it. After a few times you forget all about being fit!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I do a whole body workout once per week at the sports centre. This is all weights, although I used to do cardiovascular on a bike as well.

I'll post a clip of the coach who pioneered high intensity training. This enables you to work the whole body in 40 minutes. The deadlift he's teaching here is probably the moest effective single exercise for overall strength. It comes in handy I guess should you need to lift your engine out:

I'm liking that idea.

Mountain biking in cold days is not for the faint hearted but I think it would make you feel great once you've done it and can then go home, put the fire on and chill out. You need a good tracksuit and some gloves. I used to do hilly areas near my mooring. It's best to build up from just 15 minute sessions to maybe an hour or so.

For weights, I prefer to go to the Sports Centre as my boat is too small for the purpose. I only do one hard session per week but I give it my all.

Am considering putting a Cross Trainer in my Cratch, or perhaps an exercise bike?? Cross Trainer on first perusement of many dimensions would appear a little too tall, but just wonderd if anybody had got one on board and how they get on with it?? Walking and cycling in the Winter months can be a little off-putting for obvious reasons, so just wanted to wake up and have 'instant' workout potential...