Got untied in wolverhampton

Scooby

Featured Posts

we all have different experiences I have now moored twice half way down no problems.

Given the current crime statistics for that area you are very, very brave. As a local I would strongly advise NOT doing that.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Been untied at Autherley and Gas Street.

Been 'pebbled' on the Curley Wyrley and North of Wast Hills tunnel.

Been maggotted near Coseley.

Been 'bucket of canal watered' on the B&F near Minworth

And nearly 'breeze blocked' from the aquaduct just before Netherton tunnel (I saw a couple of kids hiding there and sent someone to check it out).

No harm done other than getting a bit cold poling the boat across the cut in me underpants at 03.00

None of the above puts me off the BCN I love cruising there.

Been untied at Autherley and Gas Street.

Been 'pebbled' on the Curley Wyrley and North of Wast Hills tunnel.

Been maggotted near Coseley.

Been 'bucket of canal watered' on the B&F near Minworth

And nearly 'breeze blocked' from the aquaduct just before Netherton tunnel (I saw a couple of kids hiding there and sent someone to check it out).

No harm done other than getting a bit cold poling the boat across the cut in me underpants at 03.00

None of the above puts me off the BCN I love cruising there.

Our favourite Indian restaurant is there. The Memsahibs above the block holding the Spar? with the postoffice. The hospice shop is worth a visit.

Sue

Try Alex's-superb Middle-eastern food. Also, Daisy-the chaotic but excellent Nisa just opposite.

We stayed overnight at the top of the Wolverhampton 21, and in hindsight, I wish we hadn't.

We only stopped there because a friend persuaded us to go for a (very nice!) curry at a nearby restaurant, but in future, I won't.

There were other boats there, but still we ended up untied and drifting at 2am. And whoever did it was responsible for the cat jumping in and then lacerating SWMBO as she retrieved the piscean puss. This was despite tying the ropes securely onto the bollards with clove hitches, and then the loose end back onto the boat.

Moral of the story, rings are FAR more secure than bollards!

Being set adrift might not do any damage directly (although having been set loose on rivers, that's a VERY scary thing!) but it is very scary. I ended up lying awake in bed at night, listening out to every small noise and worrying. Not very nice at all.

Just one suggestion that I have used in risky areas where there are rings or bollards. Tie the rope as usual then use a bigish cable tie to fasten the rope to the bollard or ring, the rope cannot be untied unless you have a knife or pliers and I doubt the miscreant will have either. You will of course have to cut them off yourself in the morning. I also had my ropes secured to the dollies and T stud on the boat in the same way as once I not only got untied but they also pinched the ropes

Charles

We have moored in some supposedly dodgy places but luckily so far have never been untied. If we are even vaguely concerned about being untied we use all four ropes to tie the boat up. The chances of some scrout being bothered to undo all four are pretty slim.

It may not be such a problem to be unroped on a canal, but it can be very dangerous on river navigations, especially if moored near a weir. It can sometimes be a benefit to drop the anchor as well on rivers, just in case, but do leave some slack in the chain to account for changes in water levels.

Was up last night at 4am floating in the middle of the canal, the boat behind was untied too and was now along side us..fishing net missing as well...little things please little minds eh...its the first time its happened and am sure it wont be the last...

Never had a problem mooring at the off-side pedestrian-inaccessible moorings at the top of Wolverhampton locks, or at Autherley. Having said that, coming from the Shroppie direction, my preference would be for the mooring rings north-west of the M54.

Any time I moor in an area that I feel less than comfortable in, I chain the boat to the nearest solid object that I can find.

I also tend to tie the ropes such that they are EASY to undo as I would rather have the ropes undone than cut as replacing ropes is expensive.

I also chain the boat to something solid when moored on rivers (with lots of slack) if I am even slightly concerned about being ‘let loose’.

We are currently moored on the river Avon here in Stratford and are chained to a ring. I don’t consider Stratford to be a ‘risk area’ but why take the chance when there is a strong flow on the river and a weir not too far away…….

When walking back from the town centre yesterday afternoon, there was a group of about 6 youths aged around 15 ‘playing’ with the lock as a holiday boat was trying to lock up into the basin. They were winding the top gate paddles up and down by hand and jumping across the gates. All of it harmless fun but I am sure that in their eyes, casting a boat adrift on a river would also be just harmless fun – I am not going to take the risk when it only takes a minute to chain up…… I also sleep well at night knowing that the boat is chained and isn’t going anywhere.