Best generator? Honda EU20i?

Chrissyboy

Featured Posts

Both gennies will be working at reduced power, and not making much noise, in order to run a 40amp charger, but the larger engine will be using more fuel. And it won't charge the batteries any quicker because it's the charger that's the bottleneck.

That's what my invertor is for. And a 201 wouldn't run my washing machine.

A bloke I know runs a full size washing machine from a EU20i. It surprised me too. However, it wouldn't run a washing machine and the charger at the same time.

I originally bought a EU10i to run my 30 amp charger, but I soon wished I'd bought a bigger generator.

With the EU20i you could be charging your batteries and using that extra capacity to run things on mains power at the same time. You can even run a 1kw immersion heater while charging for example.

Also because these generators have eco-mode and only rev to the corresponding output, I'm not convinced that the EU20 uses more petrol. If it does I wouldn't think its significant.

But this is the whole point. It won't cope with large enough loads to render my inverter redundant, and it will use more fuel. I was about to get a 20i when I realised that doing so was completely pointless. The 10i happily charges the batteries, lights the boat, and runs the computer. It's all I need.

Of course, if the OP has a huge telly and all sorts of other stuff, then a 20i might be necessary. The point of my post was to suggest that he think about his needs carefully before buying something that might be overkill.

But if you're using your inverter to run large loads while charging it means that charging will take longer because amps are being drawn - this will use more fuel too. If you have spare generator capacity it means that instead of using the inverter you can use mains appliances on your ring mains from the generator while you're charging. This leaves the batteries to benefit from a not having to power any loads while being charged (apart from light loads such as a water pump or lights).

Edited by blackrose

But this is the whole point. It won't cope with large enough loads to render my inverter redundant, and it will use more fuel. I was about to get a 20i when I realised that doing so was completely pointless. The 10i happily charges the batteries, lights the boat, and runs the computer. It's all I need.

Of course, if the OP has a huge telly and all sorts of other stuff, then a 20i might be necessary. The point of my post was to suggest that he think about his needs carefully before buying something that might be overkill.

your wrong i am afraid, i had a 10i b4 the kipor, hardly any difference in fuel, i reason that as being the 10i was revving like a ####, where as the kipor ticks over Edited by DHutch

your wrong i am afraid, i had a 10i b4 the kipor, hardly any difference in fuel, i reason that as being the 10i was revving like a ###, where as the kipor ticks over

No, I'm not wrong. A larger engine will, all else being equal, use more fuel. It must, if you think about it. Heavier components need more effort to move them.

In your case, it's clear that you needed more power than the 10i could reasonably provide, and you were having to thrash it (as you admit). In such a case, obviously it would use more fuel, but that was because you had under-specced in the first place, not because small gennies use the same amount of fuel as large ones. They don't.

Had you not under-specced it, you wouldn't have needed to replace it with something larger.

But, having seen Jenlyn, and heard the Kipor, I do agree that it's pretty quiet. And ideal for the boat. Edited by DHutch

A bloke I know runs a full size washing machine from a EU20i. It surprised me too. However, it wouldn't run a washing machine and the charger at the same time.

I originally bought a EU10i to run my 30 amp charger, but I soon wished I'd bought a bigger generator.

With the EU20i you could be charging your batteries and using that extra capacity to run things on mains power at the same time. You can even run a 1kw immersion heater while charging for example.

Also because these generators have eco-mode and only rev to the corresponding output, I'm not convinced that the EU20 uses more petrol. If it does I wouldn't think its significant.

But if you're using your inverter to run large loads while charging it means that charging will take longer because amps are being drawn - this will use more fuel too. If you have spare generator capacity it means that instead of using the inverter you can use mains appliances on your ring mains from the generator while you're charging. This leaves the batteries to benefit from a not having to power any loads while being charged (apart from light loads such as a water pump or lights).

I run a washing machine once a week. I don't know what model your friend uses, but mine is fairly ancient and I wouldn't want to try to run it off a 20i, which is rated at 1600 watts. Other than that, the 10i runs all the equipment I need, so a 20i wouldn't help. I wouldn't dream of using self-generated electricity to run an immersion heater when there is free firewood to be had.

I'm intrigued by your assumption that you know more about my needs than I do. Perhaps you don't realise that different people have different requirements. No doubt the 20i is perfect for your needs, and no doubt for many other people's needs. Equally, the 10i is fine for my needs. Had I bought a 20i, I would have wasted money.

• 4 years later...

just 1 more thing with the Honda eu range is you can connect 2 (Or more) in parallel so an eu1 & an eu1 will give the same as an eu20 or even an eu 6.5kw can be plugged with an eu1 & give 7.5kw.... so you could buy 2 Eu10's & use 1 at a time & when you need the extra you can start up the second one... I know the cost but ebay deals can be had.....I won a copy eu20 once on ebay brand new & came from Germany lasted for less then 60 seconds, pain to get my money back so went & got a Honda that was some 6-7 years ago & always starts & runs like new.... You Get What You Pay For ;o)