Where to view a selection of boats for sale?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Hi,

Having had over 30 years experience sailing the high seas, including owning my own 44ft yacht from 2006 until earlier this year, I'm now looking to buy a narrowboat and enjoy a more sedentary waterbourne hobby/lifestyle.

Given that I know almost nothing about narrowboats, and that I live in Manchester, where would be good places to view a selection of boats for sale all at once, say within 50/60 miles or so.

I'm not looking to spend much... around £15k to £25k, and would imagine that something between 40ft and 50ft should suit my needs. Only need 2 berths, but it would be good if there were a facility to make up a 2nd double, (or a couple of singles).

Many Thanks

Richard

I was thinking of viewing in the physical sense... e.g. at a marina where a broker may have several boats available?

The only marina/broker I am aware of that will have a number of boats in your stated price range is Whilton - though it's well outside your distance range.

The big advantage of Whilton (Some don't see this as an advantage) is they hand you the keys and leave you to it.....if you know what you are looking for this will allow you all the time you need to crawl over any prospective purchase.

.... within your distance range??? sorry I don't have this info..

Hi Richard

We bought our boat from Harrals in Northwich:- http://www.harralbrokerage.co.uk/

They have a selection of boats for viewing either on hard standing or in the water. Like Whilton they give you the keys to three boats, though unlike Whilton you get a step ladder as well to board the boats on hard standing! Even if they don't have anything suitable you'll get a good idea of what's available in your price range.

Best of luck.

Hi,

Having had over 30 years experience sailing the high seas, including owning my own 44ft yacht from 2006 until earlier this year, I'm now looking to buy a narrowboat and enjoy a more sedentary waterbourne hobby/lifestyle.

Given that I know almost nothing about narrowboats, and that I live in Manchester, where would be good places to view a selection of boats for sale all at once, say within 50/60 miles or so.

I'm not looking to spend much... around £15k to £25k, and would imagine that something between 40ft and 50ft should suit my needs. Only need 2 berths, but it would be good if there were a facility to make up a 2nd double, (or a couple of singles).

Many Thanks

Richard

You'll find boats for sale at Venetian Marina at Cholemondeston near Nantwich, Aqueduct Marina nearby at Church Minshull and Nantwich Basin

if you do get down to Whilton, it may be worth making a silly offer, I am currently getting about 5-10 e-mails a week about boats which are having price reductions......some of which have been there a while....

but don't forget to get a survey.

......some of which have been there a while....

Like this one -

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrow...tails/1525.aspx

We seriously started looking to buy a used narrow boat in May 2009 and we viewed this boat then.

The thing is from memory it's actually a nicer boat than it looks in the pictures, we quite liked it.

Edited by NB No Deadlines