BW - Good and Bad News Stories!

Martin

Featured Posts

Now that we have the editor of Waterscape.com on board as a member, I thought I would highlight some of the good works that BW have done as I fear the poor guy may be beseiged by compaints.

Welcome Richard!

It is the nature of things that there will be more complaints than compliments concerning BW, so perhaps we could try especially hard to come up with "good news" stories?

Now I know this is difficult, but here are a couple to start us off...

BW Survey - they listened!

The survey that BW had us all fill in about the possible improvements they could make to our moorings and local waterway a couple of years back has resulted in major improvements at Tyrley.

1) There is now light and heat in the WC and Elsan point so freezing during the winter is not so much of an issue.

2) The whole length was dredged last year.

3) New mooring bollards have been installed.

4) It is now possible to turn a full length boat in the winding hole!

5) We have a new waterpoint to replace the old "falling apart" one.

6) Greenery along the very edge of the towpath in Woodseaves Cutting is now being left intact for most of the year - great for insect life, herons, ducks and small mammals - and it looks so much better than the stubble we were used to!

Thanks BW!

Unfortunately, these did not go without hitches...

1a) The Elsan cistern leaked and the overflow dripped straight onto the electrical conduit and then ran into the switch box for the heater in the WC!

3a) BW also dug out around the existing mooring rings - which then filled up when it rained and became invisible. It took my report of three people tripping and falling in them to have the holes filled in again!

5a) It took probably in excess of six months and at least two contractors for the work to be completed and during this time the water was disconnected completely for a week - the underground leak (unfixed) still means the water pressure is poor.

The water point still awaits its coat of black and white paint and there is no insulation on the riser pipe - so it is bound to freeze up again this winter and need doing again in 2005!

In short - BW have done some good work but have just taken ages to complete it and often not put a great deal of thought into what they were doing.

Things are improving though.

There are so many cases like this...

I could have climbed up onto the Elsan chute to fix it's cistern; I could also slap a coat of paint onto the water point; I could add insulation to the pipework (were I to have some - which I haven't).

The question is - when we pay BW so much money to do this for us - why should I?

Especially when all they can do is complain at me for occasionally leaving my car parked in the space alongside the waste disposal point when the aforementioned freeloaders (see another thread) have nicked all the available spaces.

Their argument was that I was in the way of the lorries!

What lorries!?

I saw my first BW van there this morning for six weeks and I am gone by well before 9:00am anyway!

I thought this thread was a good idea - giving a bit of praise where praise was due to counter the many complaints that appear here.

When I think more about it though - BW and their staff really wind me up.

Sod em!

And who pray is this Richard from Waterscape?

What name does he go by?

And why is he not putting any input into this discussion,before you have a heart attack?...... :huh:

It's very flattering to be the subject of all this attention all of a sudden. :)

Seriously, in order: I'm the editor of the BW-owned leisure website Waterscape.com, used to be deputy ed of Canal Boat magazine, and have been involved in a couple of restoration societies; I go by the name of Richard Fairhurst (and my boat goes by the name of Hagley - website here); and I haven't posted into this particular discussion over the few hours it's been running because, er, I've been working!

I'm very happy to answer questions on Waterscape, or offer suggestions as to the best place in BW to direct comments/complaints. I can't really offer answers on the operational side - as I'm not involved in maintenance or upkeep, I tend to see the waterways from a boater's point of view.

Eugene Baston, BW's customer relations manager, is responsible for handling comments and complaints and I've alerted him to the existence of this forum. He does pop up regularly on both uk.rec.waterways and the Yahoo list, so he's by no means a stranger to the net. He's also a bit of a waterways nut and has taken the mickey out of my narrowboat handling skills on one too many occasions... :)

cheers

Richard

Hello Richard,

How possible is it for you to publish on your web site the locations of santitaion points, water points etc? Using a search facility, after all you do know where they all are.

The waterscape web site is well presented but a bit too general and like a brochure. There is no search engine for specific waterways areas, accept for stoppages. For instance I wanted to know where Stockton locks are. I could'nt find the information on your web site. Also I once found a search for moorings but cant remember how and its not obvious from the front page.

David

Hi All

I'm sure Richard will be along soon to answer the last post, but in the meantime, I thought I'd let you all know I'm here and listening with the aim of helping.

There's been plenty of discussion in the past on other boards as to whether it's useful having the 'enemy' involved or not. If there are strong objectors to my presence, please speak now.

Otherwiswe, as and when I can (amongst a myriad of other tasks), I'll drop by heer and try to help where I can.

On the subject of boat handling skills, I won't pretend to be an expert, but I've certainly completed a fair apprenticeship. As for Richard - well, I saw what hppened live on BBC Breakfast News.........

All the best, Eugene

(Customer Relations Manager, BW)

How possible is it for you to publish on your web site the locations of santitaion points, water points etc? Using a search facility, after all you do know where they all are.

I wouldn't necessarily say we do...!

That's actually something we're working on at the moment - a project called the Boaters' Directory. The local units are currently gathering all the information (got the North-West stuff in today - really comprehensive): we'll then be making it available through the site, as downloadable PDFs, and in printed format. Should start to appear from next spring.

The waterscape web site is well presented but a bit too general and like a brochure. There is no search engine for specific waterways areas, accept for stoppages. For instance I wanted to know where Stockton locks are. I could'nt find the information on your web site. Also I once found a search for moorings but cant remember how and its not obvious from the front page.

Search and moorings are the two banes of my life at the moment. I'll happily agree that the current search facility is rubbish - we're replacing it and, again, will have a new one in the spring. Moorings aren't quite so far advanced but I do understand that it's a problem.

cheers

Richard

Well well Mr Baston.... :)

Our paths cross again!!!( When I first contacted you about my dilemma, I thought I was up aginst a brick wall......But you sorted my problem and afterwards I felt a right charlie) :)

All I can say is this, if you contact BW (Eugene), things do get looked into, and sorted.....and Im testiment to that....

Eugene sorted out a problem I had with a mooring.

So hold yer osses on the slamming your giving em lads!

There's been plenty of discussion in the past on other boards as to whether it's useful having the 'enemy' involved or not.  If there are strong objectors to my presence, please speak now.

"Enemy?" Hmmmm...... are you a fisherman then Eugene :) Hey guys, only joking!

Welcome aboard. You'll find this one of the friendliest and informative forums on the net and I see your's and Richard's participation as positive additions.

Mike