Engine cooling

Featured Posts

Engine cooling types is being discussed in another thread.

Sorry to be such a newbee.

I can envisage what raw water cooling is but what exactly are skin tanks and keel cooling ?

A skin tank is usually a rectangular tank welded to the side of the hull, often next to the engine*. It works by exchanging heat with the water on the wet side of the hull. Keel cooling can be a set of pipes running along the keel of a boat, if a boat has a keel, which narrowboats generally don't, except Springers sort of do.

Both systems are closed, so they can be filled with a water/antifreeze mix

Richard

*Ours is actually the bottom of the engine bay

I can envisage what raw water cooling is but what exactly are skin tanks and keel cooling ?

Don't worry about asking questions on here, its one of the better forums I have ever used people seem to understand that us newbies are not stupid but just starting out and give very good and well explained advise. A few weeks ago i knew nothing about canals, boats etc especially engine cooling with the help of this forum I know a lot more now.

the only daft question is the one you did not ask.

My course notes are free to download and print out. They cover a lot of stuff that might help you but remember they are course notes and not a text book. There are diagrams etc. for each type of cooling system except tank cooling but that is only keel cooling using a tank instead of keel cooler pipes under the boat.

Please keep asking on here but if you feel you might be making yourself look silly (you won't be, its the ones who do not know and who will not ask who are silly) I am always happy answer emailed questions.

My course notes are free to download and print out. They cover a lot of stuff that might help you but remember they are course notes and not a text book. There are diagrams etc. for each type of cooling system except tank cooling but that is only keel cooling using a tank instead of keel cooler pipes under the boat.

That looks like a gold mine of information. Thank you

Regards

Graham