as tupperware goes ....

ChrisPy

Featured Posts

You have to catch us first :lol:

You can probably get 3 or 4 at once if there's a queue on a Thames lock :lol:

I nearly hit one when a boat hadn't moved along the waiting area like you're meant to and left a gap that turned out to be about 75ft long. We were in a 70ft boat going downstream... It all ended rather neatly with smiles all round but I really felt the pressure on the way in with the plastic boats looking very vulnerable!

You can probably get 3 or 4 at once if there's a queue on a Thames lock :lol:

I nearly hit one when a boat hadn't moved along the waiting area like you're meant to and left a gap that turned out to be about 75ft long. We were in a 70ft boat going downstream... It all ended rather neatly with smiles all round but I really felt the pressure on the way in with the plastic boats looking very vulnerable!

Thats part of the fun, watching the face of narrowboat owners trying to squeeze into small gaps :lol:

Thats part of the fun, watching the face of narrowboat owners trying to squeeze into small gaps :lol:

The secret is that if you take a narrow boat in fast enough between "splitters" it can always be made to fit!

I got my boat into a space just 8' longer than her LOA, and only a couple of inches wider last weekend. 19 times in rapid succession. It's what we do. :lol:

I got my boat into a space just 8' longer than her LOA, and only a couple of inches wider last weekend. 19 times in rapid succession. It's what we do. :lol:

A space 8 feet longer. Chance would be a fine thing

The secret is that if you take a narrow boat in fast enough between "splitters" it can always be made to fit!

Yes but that assumes it can build up some speed, not all mooring spots have a run up of three miles :lol:

I prefer ads with one or no photos. Less competition means more bargaining power. :lol:

You can always get some e-mailed before you waste a trip, and they're often misleading anyway IME. If the systems are right and the layout is right it's probably worth looking at. Ours had one shot of the living room looking towards the kitchen from the bow door. I pretty much knew it was the boat for us before we went to see it.

I prefer ads with one or no photos. Less competition means more bargaining power. :lol:

You can always get some e-mailed before you waste a trip, and they're often misleading anyway IME. If the systems are right and the layout is right it's probably worth looking at. Ours had one shot of the living room looking towards the kitchen from the bow door. I pretty much knew it was the boat for us before we went to see it.

You must let us borrow your crystal ball from time to time. It obviously works very well if you know a boat is right from just one photo :lol:

You must let us borrow your crystal ball from time to time. It obviously works very well if you know a boat is right from just one photo :lol:
It was a very well chosen photo, with a good description of the layout and length of all the rooms, fantastic engine and well-priced. And we're not in the shiny boat market so the survey was the only way we were going to know if the hull was right.

We saw 3-5 geographically close boats most days we went looking. We can handle a few duff ones on the way, and there were plenty with lots of photos that turned out much worse than we expected because the layout/problems/condition had been obscured. Not going to see a boat because it has few photos is silly when the owner is probably more desperate to sell than someone with a paid-for ad, and won't be getting so much interest because of the lack of photos.

There's a whole site dedicated to listing mis-spelt items on E-Bay, because that's the best way to get a bargain. Same principle here. :lol:

But when the photo ymu was looking at was this....

Mariettesaloon.jpg

(actually the main salloon of Gaff Schooner "Mariette")

But when the photo ymu was looking at was this....

:lol:

Bit out of our price range.

I didn't keep a copy of the photo but it showed a huge hearth area for a nice big coal scuttle and wood basket; full-sized sofa which opens into a full-sized double bed; wall-mounted TV; drop-leaf table with two chairs; nice long L-shaped kitchen with good quality fittings; stripped and lightened wood on the walls; a beautiful solid oak floor; and a glimpse of a beautiful sink in the walk-through bathroom. Knowing that there was a 14' bedroom beyond was all we needed to know for a £30k asking price. :lol:

Anyways. Sorry for the derail. :lol: