Anti-social behaviour on a Lincolnshire waterway

Josher

Featured Posts

So what action would these hypothetical youths have to take to warrant a shot over the head?

They would have to board my boat with weapons. Or a large group of them chucking bricks. Or alternativly be wearing a pirate costume! I not be taking chances with pirates, arrr!

Hmmm! Looking forward to meeting that group no time soon.

I've spun enough wool for mittens now; hands up, who wants a pair?

We are actually quite responsible and a good laugh, you are more than welcome to join us for a day and find out what happens if you like :lol:

Can I have a pair of fingerless gloves? They are quite handy when shooting :lol:

Guest wanted
A gun may be needed to protect oneself in any aspect of life, and yes I do like shooting birds - which may I remind you that more pheasants and partridge are bred every year and let loose into the wild than are shot each year... And I dont happen to have a gun to hand, funnily enough its locked in its cabinet :lol: There is nothing quite like a good shoot day, the challenge of high and hard to hit birds and the good drinking session that happens too :lol:

I think you miss my point, I am not anti legal shoots for food, infact I suspect it a fairer system than intensive farming. However I find it interesting that somebody who is into shooting animals also advocates the use of the gun as protection.

The over riding factor in this is that either way you get to use a gun and that is what concerns me.

I'm in, have you got enough for a hoodie?

I think you miss my point, I am not anti legal shoots for food, infact I suspect it a fairer system than intensive farming. However I find it interesting that somebody who is into shooting animals also advocates the use of the gun as protection.

The over riding factor in this is that either way you get to use a gun and that is what concerns me.

'Spect so - d'you want me to knit in a target on the front or the back?

Well there isnt much of an option is there? Im no good at sword fighting and missile launchers arnt available to the public :lol:

I'd have a cannon, that could be a laugh, possibly fit a mast with rigging and sails too. And a poop deck.

Well there isnt much of an option is there? Im no good at sword fighting and missile launchers arnt available to the public :lol:

I'd have a cannon, that could be a laugh, possibly fit a mast with rigging and sails too. And a poop deck.

But you miss the point completely. In normal everyday life there is no need to arm yourself. Fair play you have your gun to shoot pheasants and rabbits and that i can understand, but that is were the shooting should end. Shooting a teenager isnt the same, using the excuse of self defence is also no excuse if the teenager in question isnt armed with a lethal weapon him/herself.

Ask yourself how often you have needed to be armed so far and why being on a boat should make your chances of needing to be armed any higher.

Can i take two pairs?

Guest wanted

Again a missed point, the idea is that I don't think you actually need a gun as the danger that is out there is not as big as you would like to believe. I do however think that you want to have a gun because you like shooting at things and you will use any excuse to do just that.

I must be loosing it, i'm exausted I'll leave it there as I aint gonna change my mind, oh and the pub is calling. :lol:

Edited to add that I am also agreeing with Phylis which means I am loosing it! :lol:

Edited by wanted

We are no longer on that shoot but one a little further up the canal, which has no drives backing onto the canal,just our woodwhere all the birds live :lol:

Not very good shots on this shoot then.

I was intelligent

In the absense of any visible supporting evidence I suppose we will just have to take your word for it. Having read your posts on this thread I'm actually now more concerned about the prospect of meeting you on the canals than the kids with stones.

Guest wanted
I thought the answer to stone throwing yobs was a catapult and ice cubes,by the time plod turns up the ice cube is a damp patch and you have dropped the catapult in the cut!

Look, can we just establish to anybody looking in that the mild mannored happy go lucky canal folk are not crazed loons with guns and ice ready to kill every child who chucks a stone! :lol:

But you miss the point completely. In normal everyday life there is no need to arm yourself. Fair play you have your gun to shoot pheasants and rabbits and that i can understand, but that is were the shooting should end. Shooting a teenager isnt the same, using the excuse of self defence is also no excuse if the teenager in question isnt armed with a lethal weapon him/herself.

Ask yourself how often you have needed to be armed so far and why being on a boat should make your chances of needing to be armed any higher.

Can i take two pairs?

Phylis.. it's call MAD..Mutually Assured Destruction, it's what kept the Russians from invading europe during the cold war, the Americans had larger nuclear bombs and more of them, than the Russians, The Americans did not invade Russia for the same reason (plus or minus a few nukes)

It's the same.. Richard has a gun, the yobs have bricks, they don't throw, he don't shoot...Madness.

Before you ask.. when the yobs get guns, Richard gets a bigger gun. and Carl continues his forward, reversing scheme..Madness.

Guest wanted
Phone rings

Wanted Hello, Wanted here

Other endThis is the pub, your wanted here

Thats good enough for me! see ya'all later (BEEEEEEEEEEEEER!)

Can i take two pairs?

I have a gun safe at my parents house, I would shoot any burgler if I was in immient serious danger. I eventually plan to move the gun safe on to my boat when I do a refit out, I would still shoot if I were in immient serious danger. No I do not need to be armed, however that weapon is my responsability and I would like it under my control/supervision as such a gun safe on my boat is the only way to do that. Besides I have a canal that goes right past my shoot and it would be quite nice to moor up out of season and do a bit of rough shooting :lol:

What do you class as a lethal weapon? A knife? A pellet gun? A brick? If used with enough violence anything becomes a lethal weapon, and if left with no choice I would shoot - knowing full well that there WOULD be an inquiry and that I WOULD more than likely get arrested, as such you can bloody well count on it that I'd have covered my arse and done things by the book and would have had no other choice. As such I would expect to be let off with it.

Alas there was a farmer many years ago who shot a teenage burgler - he was sent to prison for quite some time, but then again I would consider there is a big difference between shooting someone in the front as they advance on you and shooting someone in the back as they run for their life!

Not very good shots on this shoot then.

In the absense of any visible supporting evidence I suppose we will just have to take your word for it. Having read your posts on this thread I'm actually now more concerned about the prospect of meeting you on the canals than the kids with stones.

I agree that most on our shoot are not good shots, I however am rather good :lol: Even if I say so myself. As for meeting me on the canals, you have nothing to fear - providing you stay away from me rum!

I have a gun safe at my parents house, I would shoot any burgler if I was in immient serious danger. I eventually plan to move the gun safe on to my boat when I do a refit out, I would still shoot if I were in immient serious danger. No I do not need to be armed, however that weapon is my responsability and I would like it under my control/supervision as such a gun safe on my boat is the only way to do that. Besides I have a canal that goes right past my shoot and it would be quite nice to moor up out of season and do a bit of rough shooting :lol:

What do you class as a lethal weapon? A knife? A pellet gun? A brick? If used with enough violence anything becomes a lethal weapon, and if left with no choice I would shoot - knowing full well that there WOULD be an inquiry and that I WOULD more than likely get arrested, as such you can bloody well count on it that I'd have covered my arse and done things by the book and would have had no other choice. As such I would expect to be let off with it.

Alas there was a farmer many years ago who shot a teenage burgler - he was sent to prison for quite some time, but then again I would consider there is a big difference between shooting someone in the front as they advance on you and shooting someone in the back as they run for their life!

I'll moor next to you anytime.

:lol:

I have a gun safe at my parents house, I would shoot any burgler if I was in immient serious danger. I eventually plan to move the gun safe on to my boat when I do a refit out.

I am not fully conversant with the rules here, but is in not the case that the gun safe should be in bricks and mortar?

Would your shotgun certificate be renewed if the police knew that you intend to keep the gun on a boat permanently?

I am not fully conversant with the rules here, but is in not the case that the gun safe should be in bricks and mortar?

Would your shotgun certificate be renewed if the police knew that you intend to keep the gun on a boat permanently?

On top of that what are the insurance implications? Would a boat insurer be happy knowing that a boat owner is stashing shot guns and ammo aboard?

I think you will find what I said was that boats were stopped by runners, not firing accross the canal. I did indeed think what we were doing was legal - alas BW bye laws say not so, in which case fairplay, and I am sure if we had known then we would not have done it, with so many bye laws and laws around it is quite hard to obey them all - but we were obeying the fundlemental rule of guns - being safe. We are no longer on that shoot but one a little further up the canal, which has no drives backing onto the canal, just our wood where all the birds live :lol:

So, you arrogantly imagine that it is OK to have somebody run around stopping people going about their legitimate business just so that you can shoot over the canal.

At least the hoodies know that they are doing something wrong. You are worse, because you actually think you are in the right!

I thought the answer to stone throwing yobs was a catapult and ice cubes,by the time plod turns up the ice cube is a damp patch and you have dropped the catapult in the cut!

Genius. Absolute Genius! Until the kids get catapults that is...

Gun safes have to be securely bolted to the wall and floor. I have already asked my fire arms officer if they can be fitted to a boat and she has said yes, which I'll admit I was surprised about. She even said they can go in caravans...

Just a short snippet i have found about applying for a shot gun ticket on

here

It throws up one or two issues with our friends plans.

"BEFORE the Chief Officer of Police can grant or renew a shotgun certificate he must be satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to possess a shotgun without danger to the public safety or to the peace."

Surely one look at this forum would be a no then, on top of that the potential security risks of guns onboard boats, they are not the most secure of premises to install a gun cabinet in.

"Regardless of the reason for issue, you must install your own security. We will not issue your certificate unless you have installed security at your home address."

This implies that the boat would have to be registered as your home address. Easier said than done if you have no home, residential mooring. (I know CCers and the like manage but we are talking about the police here would they accept that?)

You also have to reapply if you are moving the guns to a new address so simply fitting the cabinet in the boat and moving the guns will not suffice.

Genius. Absolute Genius! Until the kids get catapults that is...

Much the same as when they get guns?

Gun safes have to be securely bolted to the wall and floor. I have already asked my fire arms officer if they can be fitted to a boat and she has said yes, which I'll admit I was surprised about. She even said they can go in caravans...

How difficult is it to steal a boat, thus you fire arms?

So, you arrogantly imagine that it is OK to have somebody run around stopping people going about their legitimate business just so that you can shoot over the canal.

At least the hoodies know that they are doing something wrong. You are worse, because you actually think you are in the right!

I did not organise the shoot nor the drive, and I was under the impression it was legal. What would you rather have us do? Wave them through? Like I said previously, every boat that passed seemed happy enough and some were quite interested that we were keeping another British tradition alive. It broke up the monotany of the journey for them I guess, a conversation starter in the pub later that day perhaps? We didnt have any complaints and they all smiled and waved, so Im fairly confident we didnt upset anyone :lol: