Which 12v TV can I buy for my boat

Featured Posts

Hi all

I am looking to buy a new TV. I need one with the dvd and freeview built in and would like to not use the inverter.

Does anyone have any sound advice on where I can find one? :lol:

I went to Comet today and they had a few different makes that say they are 12v dc on the back and have some kind of step up inverter thing on the 240v plug. In particular I like a JVC 19in (LT-19DD1BJ). Can I buy this and then buy a 12v lead from Maplins to connect to three pin socket?

Thank you muchly

Sue

Erm, well, if you're capable of working out the pinout and wiring it up, then probably yes.

We've a DSG-own-brand Matsui 19" DVD combi, which I'm watching at the moment. It's driven by a 12v switch-mode PSU inline, leading to a 4-pin plug to the TV. I've not bothered probing the pinout so far, but I suspect it won't be anything too mysterious, and would be fine on +12 direct. We've not bothered because it doesn't add a huge amount to run it from the inverter, as we've usually got other mains kit on at the same time. If I try it, I'll let you know...

PC

I bought a 15" TV/DVD with freeview a couple of years ago from these people:

http://www.in21now.co.uk/acatalog/LCD_TV.html

It runs off mains or 12v via a voltage stabiliser with cigar lighter type plug which was included in the price. It has been trouble-free so far.

Price: £249.00 (Including: VAT at 17.5%)

At that price, for a 19" equivalent to ours, it's too rich for me.

We paid c. £150 for our DVD combi...

Travelsat all over again, says me.

PC

Hi all

I am looking to buy a new TV. I need one with the dvd and freeview built in and would like to not use the inverter.

Does anyone have any sound advice on where I can find one? :lol:

I went to Comet today and they had a few different makes that say they are 12v dc on the back and have some kind of step up inverter thing on the 240v plug. In particular I like a JVC 19in (LT-19DD1BJ). Can I buy this and then buy a 12v lead from Maplins to connect to three pin socket?

Thank you muchly

Sue

Hi Sue, I have a JVC 19in (LT-19 something or other) bought from Comet about 5 months ago, can't remember the exact model number and I'm not on the boat at present to check it. I bought a 12v/12v stabilised supply from maplins for about £30 which plugs into a 12 volt 3 pin socket on the boat and then into the 12 volt socket on the rear of the TV. It works very well, is a really good picture and seems to pull in a good signal in areas where the previous TV would not. The only slight negative is that the sound quality is just a bit tinny but very pleased with the TV in general and no regrets about buying it. Only time will tell how reliable it is. Hope that helps --- tosher.

Normal 15" flat screen tv with dvd and freeview, 99.00 Argos, just need a 150 watt invertor at 25.00 much cheaper..

Casp'

My Dad tried to run a flat screen tv off 12v as that is what they are converted to from 240v, it didn't work very well, kept cutting out.

Edited by casper ghost

Thanks very much.

The fella in Comet said that the tvs are being brought back from boats and caravans because they dont work. :lol: I am wondering if it has something to do with the type of inverter they have been used on. Not that I know much about what types of inverters there are. I just know that I really dont want to use the inverter because that flattens my batteries very quickly.

I think I will go and get the shiney new telly that I have seen then pop along to Maplins to get a new plug/lead and hope for the best.

I hope I don't break anything!!

Sue

We bought a MEOS 15.4 inch LCD TV with DVD and freeview. It can run directly from 12V with the cigarette lighter attachment or 240V through a transformer and plug also supplied. It wasnt the most reliable and has been back several times under warranty but each time has been replaced with no questions asked. The current one has given over 12 months service with no troubles what so ever. (reaches to touch some real wood) We dont watch it very often but it is nice to have it there in case we want to.

Thanks very much.

The fella in Comet said that the tvs are being brought back from boats and caravans because they dont work. :lol: I am wondering if it has something to do with the type of inverter they have been used on. Not that I know much about what types of inverters there are. I just know that I really dont want to use the inverter because that flattens my batteries very quickly.

I think I will go and get the shiney new telly that I have seen then pop along to Maplins to get a new plug/lead and hope for the best.

I hope I don't break anything!!

Sue

That was also my experience a few years ago. I bought and returned three 240v TV's which would not work correctly on the quasi sine inverter on our boat. In the end I tried my mother's old portable TV which she no longer used very much , and it worked perfectly. and we have been using that ever since.

The only problem is that it is bulky and does not have a Scart socket so we bought a S/H Humax box on eBay for £25, which receives Digital transmissions brilliantly. One day I may splash out on a flat screen LCD but we do not use it that much when boating.

I bought one of these

So far its been very good...like some have said you dont watch much TV.....but if its raining and you have kids a TV/DVD is essential. It plays CD's and of course digital radio stations...so its pretty much the entertainment centre. Pretty good for a little flat screen telly taking up no space in the corner.

I bought one of these

So far its been very good...like some have said you dont watch much TV.....but if its raining and you have kids a TV/DVD is essential. It plays CD's and of course digital radio stations...so its pretty much the entertainment centre. Pretty good for a little flat screen telly taking up no space in the corner.

That one looks pretty good as well.

We are away on Friday so i will have to go to the dreaded Comet.

If we go on holiday without the tv and it rains then the kids may end up sitting either end of our little boat to stop them fighting :lol::lol:

we are going to pop to the boat tonight to try one out x

I would love to think I could manage without a TV on an NB (should I get one) but I think that watching movies is something I'd like to do on cold wet days. Trouble is my eyes are not improving with age, so when we finally got a 32" LCD Sony Bravia at home, it proved to be a bit of heaven for my eyes after years of old tellies. I'd prefer not to go back to small screens.

Given that LCDs are not supposed to use too much power (although 240v inverters are rather wasteful of it even when nothing is runing from them) has anyone got experience of using bigger LCD TVs onboard (maybe even 12v ones - must go and have a search on t'internet)?

I would love to think I could manage without a TV on an NB (should I get one) but I think that watching movies is something I'd like to do on cold wet days. Trouble is my eyes are not improving with age, so when we finally got a 32" LCD Sony Bravia at home, it proved to be a bit of heaven for my eyes after years of old tellies. I'd prefer not to go back to small screens.

Given that LCDs are not supposed to use too much power (although 240v inverters are rather wasteful of it even when nothing is runing from them) has anyone got experience of using bigger LCD TVs onboard (maybe even 12v ones - must go and have a search on t'internet)?

Rather like laptops, they're not as low power as you'd think.

32" TFT LCD - c.. 150w running.

Any of our modern laptops, c. 100w if they're in use, under some load. Adds up if you leave it on compiling, or doing sumfink useful all day.

PC

Rather like laptops, they're not as low power as you'd think.

32" TFT LCD - c.. 150w running.

Any of our modern laptops, c. 100w if they're in use, under some load. Adds up if you leave it on compiling, or doing sumfink useful all day.

PC

Oooh thanks for that. the figure is not toooooo scary I suppose esp. if it is not in continuous use. But it sounds even so as though it would not be a v. practical idea for running off leisure battery power etc., except perhaps for the occasional evening movie after a days cruising/charging of the leisure batteries? Would the typical LB power cope with an evenings viewing though esp. when power drain for an inverter was taken into account?

The whole TV thing is a massive compromise. I dont have a great big massive TV at home either, I like things to be 'in proportion'. A 10ft square room does not need a 52" flat screen domonating the room, yet some folk have them.

I wanted to cover as many bases as posible with the best compromise. Combi (freview/dvd) versus lots of wires and boxes, 15" versus 32" (room only 8ftx7ft), Obtrusiveness, Power consumption.

Advantages

Afternoon matinees, occupying (unattended) kids for an hour or so, sports events, listening to the radio or CD, viewing pics/video off the various cameras. A superb bit of kit that we hardly notice.

Disadvantages

None

A guy I know with a 32 or 40" is too scared to run it for very long for the sake of his batteries. Whats the point of that..!!!

The whole TV thing is a massive compromise. I dont have a great big massive TV at home either, I like things to be 'in proportion'. A 10ft square room does not need a 52" flat screen domonating the room, yet some folk have them.

I wanted to cover as many bases as posible with the best compromise. Combi (freview/dvd) versus lots of wires and boxes, 15" versus 32" (room only 8ftx7ft), Obtrusiveness, Power consumption.

Advantages

Afternoon matinees, occupying (unattended) kids for an hour or so, sports events, listening to the radio or CD, viewing pics/video off the various cameras. A superb bit of kit that we hardly notice.

Disadvantages

None

A guy I know with a 32 or 40" is too scared to run it for very long for the sake of his batteries. Whats the point of that..!!!

Evo - I understand your point. But my point is that my eyes now struggle to take in detail on a small screen. This is not a trivial issue for me I fear, otherwise I would do exactly as you suggest!

I have the Avtex W193D - it has everything you could need and more, all contained in 1 box.

The Avtex W193D is packed with features such as an integrated Freeview tuner and slot-loading DVD/CD player. It’s perfect for when you want to keep things neat and tidy or where space is a premium. In addition, the unit can be powered from a 12v cigarette lighter socket making it perfect for boat owners on the move. Tuning is easy as you do it all on-screen and thanks to the VGA input you can even connect your PC. There’s also a smart card reader so you can view your digital photos on the 19” widescreen screen without having to wait. A Common Interface slot allows you to plug in a CAM (conditional access module) for accessing pay-per-view services. It’s also able to transmit a signal to your radio so you can listen to TV programmes via your radio. The TV is guaranteed for 5 years. I have it mounted on a swing and tilt wall bracket

M&M

Of course you could always buy the TEAC T22LID638 which was nicked off my boat last week. It worked a treat on 12V. He might even trow in the digital TV strengh meter(for pointing the aerial) and the 240V aerial amp PSU which I had adapted for 12 V working, I was amused thathe forgot to nick the aerial with the amp on it so it will be pretty useless, it is just a shame that if he does connect to 240v, it would blow the internal fuse rather than going up in flames! Makes me angry that someone so stupid has also nicked my DC clamp ammeter as they won't know how to use it or the value!

I have seen a couple of the TEAC's on ebay but you can't get a new one now, so I am in the position of trying to find a 12V system myself and will have to use a 240v set instead which is not as efficient. Might look up the JVC but getting a larger 12V TV/DVD combi than 19 is a task

He also had the gall to nick my summer booze, next time I will lace one of my bottles with arsenic so it might reduce the crime wave on the towpath! The only positive was the guy was a tidy thief and at least the boat wasn't trashed