Lining and masking tapes

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a good brand of tape, where the paint wont feather under the tape!!

Wrights of Lymm do a range under the trade name "Eurostar" It's what the professionals use.

here:- http://www.stonehouses.co.uk/product_list.php

Type "tape" into the search box and scroll down the page to the Red Low tack tape section.

It used to be possible to get a similar product through Toolstation, but they have discontinued it.

Edited by David Schweizer

The blue stuff that B&Q sell is pricey compared to bog-standard white masking tape, but it works a treat. And smells nice! It was a branded painters tape... Scotch maybe?

Thanks for the reply...I'll give it a go, but I seem to remember using it in the past and getting similar disasters as with the white, may not have been the same stuff

Wrights of Lymm do a range under the trade name "Eurostar" It's what the professionals use.

here:- http://www.stonehouses.co.uk/product_list.php

Type "tape" into the search box and scroll down the page to the Red Low tack tape section.

It used to be possible to get a similar product through Toolstation, but they have discontinued it.

Thanks David...I'll look this one up....sounds promising

Thanks for the reply...I'll give it a go, but I seem to remember using it in the past and getting similar disasters as with the white, may not have been the same stuff

Little tip that you may not be aware of; when using masking tape to get a neat edge the first coat of paint needs to be quite sparing. Once that's dried it will also have made a kind of seal against the edge of the tape, so a second coat can then be thicker with minimised risk of creep.

Tony

Little tip that you may not be aware of; when using masking tape to get a neat edge the first coat of paint needs to be quite sparing. Once that's dried it will also have made a kind of seal against the edge of the tape, so a second coat can then be thicker with minimised risk of creep.

Tony

Thanks Tony, wasn't aware of that, much appreciated....Dave

Thanks David...I'll look this one up....sounds promising

Craftmaster have a very excellent low-tac tape - sourced and used by me amd all my associates.

A tip - if you fear paint may have bled under the edge of your tape eave the tape on until the paint is dry. Then remove the tape and gently wipe the feathery bit with a cloth damp ( but not wet ) with White Spirit. The you should be able to tidy the line easily.

I only have 4 guitars.

B ecareful when removing the tape as well and dont leave it on if it will get wet. It leaves the sticky residue behind that is a cow to get off.

(Speaking from experience, we left the masking tape on too long after antifouling Cal. The resulting residue took a while to get off even with strong thinners)

Craftmaster have a very excellent low-tac tape - sourced and used by me amd all my associates.

A tip - if you fear paint may have bled under the edge of your tape eave the tape on until the paint is dry. Then remove the tape and gently wipe the feathery bit with a cloth damp ( but not wet ) with White Spirit. The you should be able to tidy the line easily.

I only have 4 guitars.

Thanks Phil, I'll follow your advice...but I have to admit to a lie, I only have 5 now, having reduced my collection...well something has to give when you buy a boat. :lol: Do you get to play much? I'm discovering more and more guitarists on the cut.

B ecareful when removing the tape as well and dont leave it on if it will get wet. It leaves the sticky residue behind that is a cow to get off.

(Speaking from experience, we left the masking tape on too long after antifouling Cal. The resulting residue took a while to get off even with strong thinners)

You have clearly not been using the correct type of tape. The paper based ones are not that good in wet weather, the type that should be used if they are to be left on outside and overnight (or longer) are low tack plastic based tapes.

I have just finished painting a new pole, and the masking tape was left on for more than 48 hours. We had pouring rain both nights but the tape came off easily without leaving any residue.

Edited by David Schweizer

You have clearly not been using the correct type of tape. The paper based ones are not that good in wet weather, the type that should be used if they are to be left on outside and overnight (or longer) are low tack plastic based tapes.

I have just finished painting a new pole, and the masking tape was left on for more than 48 hours. We had pouring rain both nights but the tape came off easily without leaving any residue.

It was a low tack plastic tape and cost quite a lot when compared with ordinary masking tape.

We wont be buying it again.

I only have 4 guitars.

I'd second a vote for the Craftmaster low tack tape it works very well and is good at keeping a straight line. If you do want to make some interesting curves and shapes some of the automotive low tack vinyl tapes are also very good as you can bend these around quite tight curves without puckering the tape edge.

I have only two Guitars.

I'd second a vote for the Craftmaster low tack tape it works very well and is good at keeping a straight line. If you do want to make some interesting curves and shapes some of the automotive low tack vinyl tapes are also very good as you can bend these around quite tight curves without puckering the tape edge.

I have only two Guitars.

:lol: Yes but you'll still love 'em just the same!!