Who first coined the name "Lock chamber"?

musicman

Featured Posts

Interested in another topic on the forum this morning and it got me thinking -

So, go on then, Who first coined the term "lock" to describe the device that we all use when we're on the canals?

Philip

Interested in another topic on the forum this morning and it got me thinking -

So, go on then, Who first coined the term "lock" to describe the device that we all use when we're on the canals?

Philip

According to the OED the first occurrence dates from 1577. It's found in W Vallams Tale two Swannes in Leland's Itin.

“This locke containes two double doores of wood, within the same a Cesterne all of Planke, Which only fills when boates comes there to passe.”

Is there any documentation, concerning the ExeterCanal, which had pound locks, and predates 1577?

I also wonder what Leonardo Da Vinci called them, as he is believed to have invented the mitre gate.

Of the top of my head, it was Bertole di Novate who first built chamber locks on the Canal de Bereguardo to the south west of Milan in 1458. Da Vinci certainly had his own design, with large vane-type paddles in the gates, as used on the canal in the centre of Milan in the 1490s. One lock survives there, with replica gates, though the canal had been filled in when I visited about 15 years ago. I think there were plans to restore the canal and bring more water space back into use in the city.

Shortly after building his locks, da Vinci was chucked out of Italy, and he went to live in France, which could be one reason for Fran ce then becoming the centre for the development of canal technology - ground paddles on the Brussels Canal around 1608 and riser locks on the Canal de Briare around 1610, though only opened circa 1640.

Of the top of my head, it was Bertole di Novate who first built chamber locks on the Canal de Bereguardo to the south west of Milan in 1458. Da Vinci certainly had his own design, with large vane-type paddles in the gates, as used on the canal in the centre of Milan in the 1490s. One lock survives there, with replica gates, though the canal had been filled in when I visited about 15 years ago. I think there were plans to restore the canal and bring more water space back into use in the city.

Shortly after building his locks, da Vinci was chucked out of Italy, and he went to live in France, which could be one reason for Fran ce then becoming the centre for the development of canal technology - ground paddles on the Brussels Canal around 1608 and riser locks on the Canal de Briare around 1610, though only opened circa 1640.

Going back to the original question, the terminology - we use the word 'lock' which has other meanings in English and I suppose there's some sort of logic in applying the same word to our sort of lock.

The French word is 'Ecluse', AFAIAA that's applied only to water-type locks and gates, where did that word come from?

Tim

Going back to the original question, the terminology - we use the word 'lock' which has other meanings in English and I suppose there's some sort of logic in applying the same word to our sort of lock.

The French word is 'Ecluse', AFAIAA that's applied only to water-type locks and gates, where did that word come from?

Tim

Ecluse is from the latin "Excludo" - "I shut out"