Where is the water filter? - SeaOtter NB

R Dixon

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if Seaotters have a water filter on their water pump system?

I have a 42ft built in 2006, apparently according to OH the water needs sanatising/cleaning etc but there may be a filter that would be an easier job.

Anyone have any ideas? (not under kitchen sink/near pump)

I have a 42ft built in 2006, apparently according to OH the water needs sanatising/cleaning etc but there may be a filter that would be an easier job.

Is the water giving you problems to make OH think it needs attention

Thanks for replies.

The water is not making anyone ill if thats what you mean.

I have gone from the pump following the pipework and cant see one. Hence the post.

Tank is nearly empty, so will drain before filling again.

The sensible place to put a water filter is on the outlet from the tank and before the pump - on any boat! So I would start at the tank and work forward.

I would disagree.

You only need to filter the water to the tap you will drink from - no point in filtering the shower/bath water.

Although I still not convinced you need a filter at all - most of the water we drink on board is boiled first anyway.

I do have a filter ................ just to make my coffee taste better.

If you haven't come to any any harm by now - why bother now?

Alex

Edited by steelaway

I would disagree.

You only need to filter the water to the tap you will drink from - no point in filtering the shower/bath water.

Although I still not convinced you need a filter at all - most of the water we drink on board is boiled first anyway.

I do have a filter ................ just to make my coffee taste better.

If you haven't come to any any harm by now - why bother now?

Alex

It's normal to have a filter prior to the pump just to protect the pipe from foreign objects damaging the pump parts. Lots of pump manufactures specify them and they are often attached to the pump.

It's normal to have a filter prior to the pump just to protect the pipe from foreign objects damaging the pump parts. Lots of pump manufactures specify them and they are often attached to the pump.

I think we're talking about two different filters here.

1. You have a coarse filter prior to the pump to prevent debris entering and causing damage - all boats should have one.

2. You can have a drinking water filter, possibly ceramic or activated charcoal which supplies a separate drinking water tap - entirely optional and generally fitted under the sink, exclusively feeding the separate tap.

Tony

I think we're talking about two different filters here.

1. You have a coarse filter prior to the pump to prevent debris entering and causing damage - all boats should have one.

2. You can have a drinking water filter, possibly ceramic or activated charcoal which supplies a separate drinking water tap - entirely optional and generally fitted under the sink, exclusively feeding the separate tap.

Tony

Agree 100% which is the OP talking about?

It may not have a drinking water filter, but it should have a coarse pre-pump filter. Just sanitise the water with your favourite chemical/bleach it's not hard and is worth doing for peace of mind, just remember to run all the taps to get the sterilising solution to all parts of the system before draining and rinsing

Paul

Hello R,

We also have a Sea Otter - ours is 31'. Love it .

We have no extra filter fitted, only the 'pre pump' filter near the tank.

We were going to fit one under the sink but have decided to fill up a few bottles for our drinking water when needed. We have used water from the tap but sometimes it can have a 'metallic' taste, sometimes not !

Mark.