Connecting laptop to mobile phone as a modem

Featured Posts

I'm trying to link my laptop to my mobile via bluetooth in order to make the most of my data allowance on my deal with Orange. I can pair my phone to my laptop no problem, but when registering it as a modem Windows gives me the Error 734 PPP message. If I search online to find out how to fix this I get the solution for older versions of Windows which don't apply to Windows 7. Any advice anyone?

My phone is a Samsung S5200 on orange and my laptop is a MSI running Windows 7.

I'm trying to link my laptop to my mobile via bluetooth in order to make the most of my data allowance on my deal with Orange. I can pair my phone to my laptop no problem, but when registering it as a modem Windows gives me the Error 734 PPP message. If I search online to find out how to fix this I get the solution for older versions of Windows which don't apply to Windows 7. Any advice anyone?

My phone is a Samsung S5200 on orange and my laptop is a MSI running Windows 7.

The error numbers are much the same, the PPP stack hasn't had much innovation in recent years.

What number are you telling Windows to dial, and what username and password are you using? Should match the APN username and password set on the phone itself, or found via google for your choice of network.

Try dialling *99***1#, and the username passwords 'orangewap' 'paygwap' from the below....

PC

Orange GPRS settings (WAP):

Homepage: http://orange.multimedia/

Access Point (Contract): orangewap

Access Point (PAYG): paygwap

Gateway (IP) address : 192.168.071.35

Username: Orange

Password: Multimedia

Session type: Continuous / permanent

Authentication: Normal

Port number: 9201 (or 8080)

Orange GPRS settings (Email/Web):

Homepage: http://orange.multimedia/

Access Point: orangeinternet

Access Point (Old PAYG): payginternet

Username: user

Password: pass

Authentication: Normal

Email SMTP server: smtp.orange.net

Prim. DNS Server: 158.043.192.001

Sec. DNS Server: 158.043.128.001

Be careful as using your phone as a modem can kill the battery in no time, when I had my 3 sim before I got the dongle, I used it in my Nokia, and it ate the battery in an hour, not normal for a phone to do that, even with voice calls... :lol:

As for actually connecting, if your phone has software with it, you should be able to get it to run a wizard to set the phone and Dial-Up networking (I know it may sound like old fashioned modems, but it's windows being stuck in the dark ages!!!) up, Nokia PC Suite does this with relative ease, I'm sure your samsung must have a similar software suite... :lol:

It's a fair point from 2CV, if it can set it up for you, then more's the better.

If not, the MS says the following for your error:

This issue may occur if either of the following conditions are true:

* Multi-link negotiation is turned on for the single-link connection.

-or-

* The dial-up connection security configuration is incorrectly configured to use the Require secured password setting.

It won't be the former, but could be the latter. Can't remember where the setting is now, I've only a Linux laptop in front of me, but it's there under advanced settings on the Dial-up connection somewhere.

PC

Be careful as using your phone as a modem can kill the battery in no time, when I had my 3 sim before I got the dongle, I used it in my Nokia, and it ate the battery in an hour, not normal for a phone to do that, even with voice calls... :lol:

As for actually connecting, if your phone has software with it, you should be able to get it to run a wizard to set the phone and Dial-Up networking (I know it may sound like old fashioned modems, but it's windows being stuck in the dark ages!!!) up, Nokia PC Suite does this with relative ease, I'm sure your samsung must have a similar software suite... :lol:

Bluetooth eats the battery anyway.

I always disable it when not in use.

Bob

Bluetooth eats the battery anyway.

Plus, when talking, the mobile phone transmit power is adjusted to the mimimum required for the conditions. A lot of phones just bang it on full power permanently when working as a modem which also helps eat the battery.

Most common error, in my fairly limited experience, for connestion to mobile internet is the "intialisation string" AKA the innit string :lol:

If you're using Orange for instance (Other networks will have different innit strings)

Click on control panel

then

Phone and Modem

then the Modem tab

Select the modem (ie: phone, card, dongle etc.) you want to use to connect

Then select properties

Then the tab marked Advanced

Here you will see a box called Extra Initialization Commands

it should have this in it:

AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”orangeinternet”

(For Orange only)

Fixes nearly every connection problem I've had, once the obvious ones are exhausted :lol: Other network innit strings are easy to find on the internet.

Most common error, in my fairly limited experience, for connestion to mobile internet is the "intialisation string" AKA the innit string :lol:

If you're using Orange for instance (Other networks will have different innit strings)

Click on control panel

then

Phone and Modem

then the Modem tab

Select the modem (ie: phone, card, dongle etc.) you want to use to connect

Then select properties

Then the tab marked Advanced

Here you will see a box called Extra Initialization Commands

it should have this in it:

AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”orangeinternet”

(For Orange only)

Fixes nearly every connection problem I've had, once the obvious ones are exhausted :lol: Other network innit strings are easy to find on the internet.

Thanks - however on Windows 7 there is no box labelled Extra Initialization Commands under the Advanced tab. can you suggest where else I'll find this? (I've also searched for it but Windowsd can't find the term)

Thanks - however on Windows 7 there is no box labelled Extra Initialization Commands under the Advanced tab. can you suggest where else I'll find this? (I've also searched for it but Windowsd can't find the term)

I think you're looking under the wrong tab, under the "Modems" tab, select your phone/Modem, then click Properties, the commands bit is under the Advanced tab in the Properties box... :lol:

Edit to add pictorial diagram... :lol:

modem.jpg

Edited by twocvbloke

I think you're looking under the wrong tab, under the "Modems" tab, select your phone/Modem, then click Properties, the commands bit is under the Advanced tab in the Properties box... :lol:

Edit to add pictorial diagram... :lol:

modem.jpg

Thassit!! :lol:

You're completely right, i was looking in the wrong place. :lol: Now I've found it what's written there seems almost identical (it was cut and pasted from Orange's website) however there appear to be spaces either side of the speech marks which may be the problem. next question - that little box with the funny little address in it is greyed-out so it won't let me edit it. And it doesn't matter what I click it doesn't ungrey itself. Do you know how I can persuade it to be editable?

Edited to say: I found out how to edit it by sneaking my way into a different settings window.

Okay - it's now giving me a 692 error which is allegedly a mdoem hardware failure, but that might be due to the fact that i'm in the Bunbury Arms in Stoak with b*gger all mobile phone reception. I'll try again when I get home tonight - thanks for your help so far chaps!

Edited again to say: Language Timothy! And to stick an asterisk in me swearword!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I managed to find the old box for my phone which had the PC Studio CD in it. So I installed it, connected my phone to the internet, and low and behold - got the same PPP error message. D'oh! :lol:

So I abandoned that and started again by installing my phone manually as a dial-up modem on the devices screen. And the phone number wasn't *99# which is what I'd found on the Orange website, it was actually *99**1*1#. And it needed to connect to "orangewap" not orangeinternet, which again is what I'd picked up from the Orange website - tish and pish that was. Once all that was solved it connected straight away. And the pages load much quicker than they do on my PAYG Vodafone dongle.

So I'll use my phone each month until my inclusive data bundle is used up, before dipping into the Vodafone one.

Thanks chaps for your problem solving advice - I'm now a happy lass. :lol: