Rochdale Canal

boatyboy

Featured Posts

Hi again everyone.We have now moved on from Todmorden on the Rochdale heading up stream and moored up below lock 35 (one lock before the locked summit lock) We can't go any furthur as there is hardly any water in the pound before lock 36.The pound we are in is gradually going down and we are developing a list to port.

Yesterday just after the Guillotine lock at Todmorden it soon became evident that we were going to get stuck,which we did!! after much pushing of poles we got over that lump just to get stuck again. We were all on the boat in the middle of the Canal and were begining to wonder what we were going to do.we managed to push to bows over to the bank and both son and i made a 6' leap of faith to the shore where we were then able to go to the next lock and let some water down.This we had to do for the next few locks where we found the pound above virtually empty,so we could go no further.So we decided to stop for the night.We called BW and reported the lack of water,and two guys were there with us before we had even got up.they wanted us to cast off strait away. this we did and they stayed with us for the next 4 locks.Their was low water in every pound, unti we got where we are now.

At least we will be going down hill tomorrow so will be taking the water with us.

Just how bad is this prob going to get we asked the BW guys..their answer was "If it don't rain the canal will be closed in under 3 weeks.

Hope you don't think i'm scare mongering but i thought you all might like to know and make the relevant phone calls before setting off.

Dave

Edited by boatyboy

Not at all. See Drought Thread.

Hope you make it down ok.

Waterways guy has just been and topped up our pound..He is now in the process of filling the next one up.So all clear for tomorrow.But he said we are not in the clear even though we are going down hill,as there are several empty pounds that way to.Oh the joy of boating in the summer.

The wife and i both agree that it is almost better cruising in the winter.

Waterways guy has just been and topped up our pound..He is now in the process of filling the next one up.So all clear for tomorrow.But he said we are not in the clear even though we are going down hill,as there are several empty pounds that way to.Oh the joy of boating in the summer.

The wife and i both agree that it is almost better cruising in the winter.

Water levels are down across the country. There isnt much anyone can do other than hope for some rain shortly.

We where out on the Trent at the weekend and the levels where lower than normal given the supposed 8.4m spring tide. We only just made it back over the cill at Torksey lock on the way back in!!

Water levels are down across the country. There isnt much anyone can do other than hope for some rain shortly.

!

Must be true, but the impact seems to be greater up north. They are not so bovered round the Eastend! (See drought thread).

Good news is three drops of rain just landed on the train window. Bad news is that it has now stopped raining!

Ps just passed a new sign saying cheapest car batteries in the uk - will investigate!

There was substantial rainfall here in the Fens overnight - I was briefly awoken about 5 a.m. by it drumming on the bedroom window, and the garden looks nice and fresh this morning. Has there been rain elsewhere?

Been raining on and off since yesterday evening. Water butts all full and more rain forecast over the next 72 hours, fine for w/e. But rain here means doodly-squat for the System!

I think we need a prolonged period of much lighter rain to do any good. The ground is so hard that the heavy rain runs off it before it has a chance to soak in and I don't think that there's any suggestions of suitable rain in the near future. 24 hours of moderate rainful might just give us some relief.

We're all doomed I tell ye.

There was substantial rainfall here in the Fens overnight - I was briefly awoken about 5 a.m. by it drumming on the bedroom window, and the garden looks nice and fresh this morning. Has there been rain elsewhere?

We missed that here (ten miles south of Cambridge). There was a few drops at about 8.30, but practically nothing.

MP.

*BUMP*

Just received this stoppage alert:

Summit Bookings Locks 37 and 36

Tuesday 29 June 2010 until further notice

You will probably know that in the North West we are going through the driest period since the 1920s. The continuing dry weather means that water supplies to the Rochdale Canal summit are looking increasingly uncertain and we have learned yesterday (Monday) that one of our other major feeds has been stopped. Without significant rainfall soon it now looks likely that the water supply to the summit area will run out some time in mid August, and we may shortly have no choice but to suspend navigation across the summit and in other parts of the canal until water supplies replenish.

For this reason we have stopped taking bookings for summit passages from mid August and are contacting people with bookings in the lead up to that period to discuss options with them. We are happy to keep a provisional bookings list for the period after this date in case the situation changes, but clearly we cannot commit to being able to fulfil these bookings.

With immediate effect we will be asking customers using Tuel Lock to double up, our lock keeper at the site will be controlling this.

Our trade team is in touch with boating businesses to discuss the situation and its implications for their operations and customers. Our moorings team are available to discuss concerns that moored customers may have.

Clearly this is not the news that I would want to be writing to you with, but I wanted to ensure that you have as much forewarning as possible so you can make appropriate plans. We will do our best to keep the canal open for as long as possible – we have been able to bring forward some planned works with this aim of and will keep you updated as the situation develops.

Enquiries: 01782 785703

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-river...ating/stoppages

:lol: What a contrast to our trip up there last August - after weeks of rain in July, the canal was positively brimming to the point that we were completely flooding the towpaths when we emptied locks to descend after our journey over the summit.

I was at Castlefield today watching the water still pouring over the bottom gates of lock 92, thinking that it's just draining what's left higher up the Rochdale and Ashton Canals and probably the Peak Forest and Huddersfield Narrow too. At least the Bridgewater is full!

What a difference a day or two make. The rain fall of Monday night worked wonders.

We have locked up from Todmorden to Lock 35 just under Summit with hardly any bother at all. One pond at lock 30 was low but by keeping to the middle we went through no bother.

Finally we have been defeated by bridge No.41 which has expanded in the heat and refuses to budge. Ah well, had to break out the hydraulic rations early - what a shame. I am sure in the morning it will be good to go - I wonder if the headache will have gone by then.

Right then, lets hope the trip over Summit is as easy as today has been. Glorious sun shine, wonderful views and water in't canal. What else can you ask for?

Dave R - literally on the Yokshire / Lancashire border. Tonight my head will be in Lancashire and my feet in Yorkshire so if I do have a hang over I know who to blame.

Have just read stoppages link and am not too clear........will we be able to go up Rochdale to Hebden Bridge (in a week or so) I know we are not going over summit, but it was the.

"and we may shortly have no choice but to suspend navigation across the summit and in other parts of the canal until water supplies replenish."

I know no one has a crystal ball, but with the tempremental weather we have up here is there really a likelyhood of them closing canal completely..........

.........two years ago we couldn't get anywhere for nearly a week because flood locks were shut.........maybe we should try for Skipton or Selby!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Rochdale - update from the canal bottom:

Looking shallow in Todmorden, but we are still floating. After the rain end of last week the canal was nice and full from Lock 6 up to Todmorden - there were bywashes washing and everything! I was impressed - we'd been expecting an ordeal but it was no problem. Quite a relief as I'd done my back in and was just directing operations from the back deck while a very little non-boaty friend did all the hard work. Though when we got into Hebden Bridge Thurs night all the boats on the visitor moorings were listing badly and wedged solid - by morning all were floating again it seemed. Now we're about 8 inches down in Todmorden. I passed over the summit earlier (by car) and had a peek at Lock 35 - the pounds either side looked VERY low. Our aim is to head for the summit to cross Thurs/Friday which BW assure us will be possible - fingers crossed for rain all week till Thursday!

Is the water supply on the Manchester side any better?