Cats!

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

We have a 13-year-old (very noisy) cat called Jasper. Obviously he's going to be moving aboard when we get our lovely new boat. It looks like we are going to be moored on the river Avon near Bristol in the summer and then on a towpath mooring on the canal near Bath in the winter (because of flooding problems). I'd love to hear from any of you who live afloat with their cat(s) and any hints and suggestions you have for our little old moggie.

Thanks Paul! Always good to hear some jokes but looking for some answers too :) Jasper is on my lap at the moment (just dropped a small piece of pizza on his head, oops) and he is nuzzling my fingers as I type, as he always does... very sweet but makes it hard to type :)

Anyway, back to the original question - does anybody have any tips for keeping a cat on board?

Edited by tomandsophie

Dont know Maf but they don't half hurt when they stick there claws in your arm or leg.

can not understand it penny does that every time i pull her tail. :)

Or even worse lulls me into a false sense of security by laying on her back for a tummy tickle, then grabs and pulls with frount legs and pushes with back legs then bites all at the same time.

Edited by Richard Bustens

I have five cats fortunately not on a boat.

It might just be the cats around here are a bit stupid but we do quite often end up fishing them out of the cut. But saying that we often end up fishing out their owners too! :)

wetcat.gif

The solution could be to keep them inside but you know what that means! :)

tray.gif

Do you own a cat or does the cat own you?

Gary

Do you own a cat or does the cat own you?

Gary

Does this answer the question?

I'm Only A Cat

I'm only a cat,

and I stay in my place...

Up there on your chair,

on your bed or your face!

I'm only a cat,

and I don't finick much...

I'm happy with cream

and anchovies and such!

I'm only a cat,

and we'll get along fine...

As long as you know

I'm not yours... you're all mine!

Dont know Maf but they don't half hurt when they stick there claws in your arm or leg.

can not understand it penny does that every time i pull her tail. :)

Or even worse lulls me into a false sense of security by laying on her back for a tummy tickle, then grabs and pulls with frount legs and pushes with back legs then bites all at the same time.

Sounds like Victoria :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, think we lost our cat overboard last night.

I was assembling furniture, the kids were noisy - I saw him head out the door. He doesn't like noise, and often goes out for a wander round the decks. I suspect he tried to go ashore, and slipped.

Since he went blind it's been an accident waiting to happen, I suppose. Still don't like the idea of him going this way - assumed I'd find him dead in the logbox one day (mad cat prefers to sleep on pile of kindling instead of on sofa) :o

Hagan Returns!

Out of the blue, soaking wet, and with 2 nasty wounds on his back - looks like barbed wire. Gf is taking him to the vet now.

He must have gone out onto the bank and got hung up on some barbed wire. Dunno how on earth he managed to find his way back - down a steep bank, across a pontoon, across a narrowboat, and into cockpit of my barge. I don't think I could do that blind.

I dunno. His glaucoma is extremely bad (eyes now massively distorted).

He is strong - and eating. Just how long can an animal go on like this, or their owners? There comes an awful point when we start thinking is it fair to keep him going? Vet would have put him down 3 weeks ago, we took him home to die - but he recovered (hand feeding liquid with syringe, etc).

I think my gf is thinking the same as me, she wants to take him to vet to be checked, but I think she is wondering if it is kind to carry on. It won't be long before he can't even blink, the glaucoma is so bad.