CutConnect

CutConnect

Featured Posts

Yeah, it appears you need to opt-in to be part of it.

- You dont have to be in the webring, although clearly thats an optional extra too.

- However you do need to join the ranking thing, and place a image on you page(s).

- The rankings are then based solely on the number of clicks made upon that image.

We now have an image.... (although its only on the beautiful homepage at the bottom)

Daniel

It's done on the number of people who visit the page with the image on it. I suspect that many people (like me) never go to the home page, going straight to canalworld.net/forums. If you put the image on the forums index page instead, the site would go shooting way up the rankings.

It's done on the number of people who visit the page with the image on it. I suspect that many people (like me) never go to the home page, going straight to canalworld.net/forums. If you put the image on the forums index page instead, the site would go shooting way up the rankings.

Put it on the "View new posts" page and it'll outdo the lot.

Forums Index page would do it for me - I hit that a coule of dozen times a day. I rarely if ever use the New Posts tab because there are only certain forums I'm interested in.

Can you put it on more than one page?

Tony

I suspect you're right of course . . . .though there'll be a few peeps that still don't use 'View New Posts'

Forums Index page would do it for me - I hit that a coule of dozen times a day. I rarely if ever use the New Posts tab because there are only certain forums I'm interested in.

Tony

Cunning!

Tony

Yes, the rules say you can put the image on each page, but only once each page.

The rules are here.

Excellent - - I think our valued Mods really should take a peek - it will certainly further improve the visibility/awareness of CWF

Excellent - - I think our valued Mods really should take a peek - it will certainly further improve the visibility/awareness of CWF

It might bring in the riff-raff, too.

I hear some pretty rough fellows frequent these "webrings".

I was trying to work out how Just Canals got the stats it got...

Sam has trained a team of monkeys to keep clicking, round the clock.

Edited by carlt

Will it not then count each page separately?

(currently no 21 overall and no. 7 in the blogs list!)

No, each member of the ranking site has their own unique code embedded in the logo, and as the same logo is used on each page they all count towards the same total.

For sure, but sticking it on the index page was a 10second job and keeps it out the way, where sticking on every page would be a 10minute job at would add clutter the site. Plus, we've gone to 15th in four days anyway.

For sure, but sticking it on the index page was a 10second job and keeps it out the way, where sticking on every page would be a 10minute job at would add clutter the site.

Don't think you need it on every page, Daniel, just the forum Index page.

Plus, we've gone to 15th in four days anyway.

10th now.

Tony :lol:

Edited by WotEver

Yeah, as i counts every 7 days we will rise quite dramatically until we have been a member for a week (ie, as of tomorrow) and then will level out.

I think that the fact that we can get top ten just on visits to our homepage along is a fairly good indication of the situation.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: LOL, wow some of you guys really do fulfil the stereotype of 'online boaters' I'd been warned about! Cliquety clique!... Apologies for my 'spam', I should have known better and been a little more discreet in the way I posted, if at all.

To clear something up, our site is neither a forum, nor is it trying to compete with existing forums; on the contrary it allows members to stream their content from other sites, blogs, forums, facebook etc. There's no law to my knowledge that bans a person from using more than one site! There's room for us all, especially in the online boating community which is pretty limited, we can all rub along side by side quite happily I'm sure. Some people find using forums intimidating (can't see why!!?) and our site gives users the ability to communicate with others to whatever degree they want to, rather than being open to all and sundry sticking their oar into everything they post.

Apologies for my slightly defensive reply, and don't judge us just yet - the site is very new and may at the moment seem a bit 'modern' to some folks, but please give it a few months and then lets see where we are. Maybe a few Canal World members will even find themselves committing the ultimate treason and using our site as well!! :lol:

Incidentally, placing chart/webring buttons on every page of a forum is very much considered cheating in online etiquette, and at best seen as a highly innacurate indication of popularity, as forums have multiple times the number of hits per visitor than other sites. The software running some of these sites is very outdated.

Cheers

Neil

p.s. Daniel - your internal pages don't appear to be indexed by Google so my posting on here has no bearing to how our site appears on Google, but thanks for your email.

Edited by CutConnect

:lol: LOL, wow some of you guys really do fulfil the stereotype of 'online boaters' I'd been warned about! Cliquety clique!... Apologies for my 'spam', I should have known better and been a little more discreet in the way I posted, if at all.

Well that's a convincing argument.

Spam a site then insult those you were originally trying to attract.

Still not revealing your second account name, I see.

It might bring in the riff-raff, too.

I hear some pretty rough fellows frequent these "webrings".

Sam has trained a team of monkeys to keep clicking, round the clock.

I take exception to being called a monkey :lol: