Featured Posts

Hi All

Sick and tired of comming home from work and running my engine for two

hours every night.

This got me thinking about making developing a system using the GSM

mobile phone network to control various systems within the boat directly from

a mobile phone.

A brief overview of what I wish to design is below:

Remote Starting-the ability to start and switch off your engine remotely (and central heating etc)

from your mobile pass word protected.

Timed mode-The ability to start your engine normally were the engine will run for

a timed period (so you can leave the boat to go to pub etc)

Low Battery Start-the engine will start automatically if a

low battery condition exists and run for a predetermined time period

Safety and security- system dials you in the event of burgler alarm activaton

allows you to speak to / listen to an intruder (threaten)

Systen will only allow engine to run in nuetral and shall cut out in event of low oil high engine temp etc

ie fan bet failure.

What do you think?

Prob wont be cheap £500-£600

Glenn

Edited by Glennbrown

Sure I've seen an advert for a mobile phone system that lets you control things on the boat.

I think they were originally designed to interface with the alarm, and spread from there.

While you are at it, fit a camera and a remote tiller control, then you could go boating when it is cold and wet!

Its all possable, and has been do before. (i dont know if you know anything about MissConduct?)

She was planned to have all of that stuff, and more.

- Infact the whole boat was computer operated, lights, heating, engine, etc.

The project unfortualty never got compleated, but i have saved a copy of the website which i will email to you if you like.

Alternatively, you could turn the problem it head and set it up so requlare running of the engine is unessary...?

Daniel

If you would like to build your own system then this is what you need.

This technology wasn't generally available until recently because it made the ideal method of initiation for IED's. (Bombs)

http://www.smshield.com/

It does work well, the OEM product is the basis for the alarms we supply.

I have had it rigged up to power up the heating by text message engine starting would be a bit more complex.

Hi All

Sick and tired of comming home from work and running my engine for two

hours every night.

This got me thinking about making developing a system using the GSM

mobile phone network to control various systems within the boat directly from

a mobile phone.

A brief overview of what I wish to design is below:

Remote Starting-the ability to start and switch off your engine remotely (and central heating etc)

from your mobile pass word protected.

Timed mode-The ability to start your engine normally were the engine will run for

a timed period (so you can leave the boat to go to pub etc)

Low Battery Start-the engine will start automatically if a

low battery condition exists and run for a predetermined time period

Safety and security- system dials you in the event of burgler alarm activaton

allows you to speak to / listen to an intruder (threaten)

Systen will only allow engine to run in nuetral and shall cut out in event of low oil high engine temp etc

ie fan bet failure.

What do you think?

Prob wont be cheap £500-£600

Glenn

what about a wife [ducks] :wacko:

Sure I've seen an advert for a mobile phone system that lets you control things on the boat.

I think they were originally designed to interface with the alarm, and spread from there.

While you are at it, fit a camera and a remote tiller control, then you could go boating when it is cold and wet!

Yeah, why not have a webcam so we can all watch from the comfort of our homes? :wacko: Why bother to go out at all, you could do it all from your computer :)

If you got one of those walking, talking little Mobleys like wot Ardal O'Hanlon talks to in the Carfone Warehouse adverts, maybe you could train it to turn the ignition key.

You'd have to make him a little ladder though, they've only got short legs. :rolleyes:

Earlier in the year I was thinking of making remote steering, so I can cruise down the river on the front deck on a balmy summers evening ..... well at least get away from being tied to the wheel.

The other clinker boat on the photo in my album has this. I first saw him on the front last year, and when we met early this year, he showed me how he had made it. He had turned a large wooden pulley which he bolted behind the wheel, and turned with a motor with a small pulley fastened below. He steered with a rocker switch on a long wire.

My steering will not take this method, as it's much too hard to turn, unless I make a new rudder. I have since learnt part of the rudder should be in front of the line of the hinges. As my prop is close to the rear of the boat, this will also mean lengthening the hinges, so pushing the rudder further out.

Talking to a friend on the phone, he told me some yachts have the autopilot operate a small hinged extention to the rudder, as it only needs to maintain a straight course, not manoeuvre with it.

So I've thought of one method that might work. Make a separate small rudder, fixed to a plate, or board that fits under the outboard bracket. On the board a car window motor, or seat motor can be attached, with a simple wire rope going round the spindle, to the tip of the rudder, to a pulley on the opposite side and back. Relays from lights etc. can operate the motor, so only a lightweight cable will be needed.

Anyway, I've now got a winter job in reconditioning the gearbox, which I'm going to start very soon. Hoping it just needs one or two bearings, but we'll see. Having a boating budget of £0.00 certainly 'keeps the brain alive' and makes life 'interesting' at times.

Also, as it looks as if I'll be moving, and doing much less boating next year, I don't know if it's worth bothering with making remote steering. I've seen one system where the chap used a radio remote, steering his boat from the bank, while operating the lock single handed.

Edited by Supermalc

You will need to be very wary of remote engine starting, as a minimum you will need a lot of extra and reliable sensors / limit switches and the like.

Limit switch to ensure neutral, high water temp. and low oil pressure shut-down. Smoke and air temp. shut-down. I think we could come up with several more.

Would your marina owner and neighbours be wild about the idea.

You will need to be very wary of remote engine starting, as a minimum you will need a lot of extra and reliable sensors / limit switches and the like.

- Limit switch to ensure neutral, high water temp. and low oil pressure shut-down. Smoke and air temp. shut-down. I think we could come up with several more.

Yeah, i woulndt like like the idea of running a normal engine setup unattended and geting back to find the boat burnt to a crisp becuase the whole lot messed up.

Daniel

Yeah, i woulndt like like the idea of running a normal engine setup unattended and geting back to find the boat burnt to a crisp becuase the whole lot messed up.

Daniel

Having seen two diesels do it, I would be terrified of diesel runaway in my absence.