Beta 43 alarm puzzle

Featured Posts

I have a Beta 43 fitted to my Nb. About 1750 hrs on the clock and totally reliable. On a recent trip up the Trent I opened her up a bit. After about 1/2 hr I heard an alarm ( about 3 peeps similar to a text arriving on my mobile phone ) which stopped immediately. Didn't hear it again for next couple of days. Have trawled through the various manuals for the engine and various other equipment that I have fitted in the area, nothing!

Out for 5 days last weekend, again heard this short alarm and shot down to investigate but again it had stopped after 2/3 beeps. Rather frustratingly it didn't happen for the rest of the trip. Everything checks out and the charging system (twin alts) is working fine. I dread to admit that I am a mechanic but this one has me beat. As the old saying goes 'you can't cure a fault when it 'aint occurring!'

Has anyone out there had a similar problem?

Can't see it being the engine - engines don't beep as you know. Can't see it being the engine panel - that has a buzzer. Sure you haven't left a camera or phone around that's running low on charge?

Tony

Can't see it being the engine - engines don't beep as you know. Can't see it being the engine panel - that has a buzzer. Sure you haven't left a camera or phone around that's running low on charge?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I've checked around for other sources but can't find one. The sound is exactly the same type of 'beeps' that you get when turning the key to on before the starter is engaged. I am beginning to think that I may have an intermittent short in the key switch (possibly due to vibration as it seems to occur only when the revs are up a bit). I just wish it would happen long enough for me to get to the scene. There's probably a Gremlin sat down there grinning at me!

We got an alarm rather like that when we opened up on the Trent, with a good following wind. It turned out to be the smoke detector or CO alarm (can't remember which now) reacting to the increased amount of exhaust smoke being blown forwards and in through the side doors.

As you probably know the beeper goes off on no charge, low oil pressure, or high temp, my guess is a faulty sensor popping a light on for a few seconds, or a bad connection in the charge circuit.

completely re-written after more thought!

Edited by Radio-Ga-Ga

Just had a look at mine, same engine and being unable to locate the oil light sensor decided the gauge and light sensor must be conbined, and yes it is, from a single wire! this is some electrical trickery I've not seen before. The point being removing the wire drops the oil gauge to zero puts the oil light on and sets off the beeper so an intermittent bad sensor connection could also cause your problem

I had an irritating alarm on mine - it was the oil gauge light wire tripping out through a loose connection in my case. If you're still mystified, you could ring Neil Edwards at Beta, he's always been very helpful when I've come unstuck with engines. You could mention my name but I think he may cry or run for cover!

We got an alarm rather like that when we opened up on the Trent, with a good following wind. It turned out to be the smoke detector or CO alarm (can't remember which now) reacting to the increased amount of exhaust smoke being blown forwards and in through the side doors.

Just to add to that. Do you have an electric fridge and if so how close is it to the apparent source of beeps. Groups of three beeps could indicate a fridge motor is trying to start while there is still pressure in the compressor, possibly a faulty thermostat.

Just to add to that. Do you have an electric fridge and if so how close is it to the apparent source of beeps. Groups of three beeps could indicate a fridge motor is trying to start while there is still pressure in the compressor, possibly a faulty thermostat.

That's a good point, Tony...

T'other idea that comes to mind is an inverter mounted where it can be heard from the steering position. Ours has overload and under-voltage beeps which are quite beepy, and you'd possibly hear the oscillator as it fell down from normal (inaudible) run frequency down to zero through the audible range, if say, the power was interrupted briefly - loose cable. Our old small one would beep when underway when trying to start the fridge compressor and just tickling into overload.... :lol: So you'd hear it a few minutes after a cup of tea had been delivered....

PC

• 1 month later...
I have a Beta 43 fitted to my Nb. About 1750 hrs on the clock and totally reliable. On a recent trip up the Trent I opened her up a bit. After about 1/2 hr I heard an alarm ( about 3 peeps similar to a text arriving on my mobile phone ) which stopped immediately. Didn't hear it again for next couple of days. Have trawled through the various manuals for the engine and various other equipment that I have fitted in the area, nothing!

Out for 5 days last weekend, again heard this short alarm and shot down to investigate but again it had stopped after 2/3 beeps. Rather frustratingly it didn't happen for the rest of the trip. Everything checks out and the charging system (twin alts) is working fine. I dread to admit that I am a mechanic but this one has me beat. As the old saying goes 'you can't cure a fault when it 'aint occurring!'

Has anyone out there had a similar problem?

Finally got to the bottom of this one. It's an over voltage warning and has got worse since I fitted 2 solar panels. I'm going to try a different solar controller but for now I have to cover the panels whenever the engine is running!